Blink L2 stations being removed from NCTC (No charge to charge)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgs333

I just got this email:

Please be advised that as of Saturday, April 23rd, Blink Level 2 EV charging stations will no longer be participating in Nissan's No Charge to Charge (NCTC) program. Therefore, free charging sessions will no longer be provided to NCTC participants at any Blink L2 stations.

To locate participating stations in NCTC, please visit the map on the EZ Charge website.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and thank you for your continued business.

Sincerely,

Blink

----

In a way this is a big loss to the NCTC program but in another way, it's not since Blink stations are down more often that not...

I got the same email. This is huge! It is most of the charging stations in Phoenix and my area of town. I just purchased my leaf in December so I have most of my 2 years left. :cry:

bakermel1 said:
I got the same email. This is huge! It is most of the charging stations in Phoenix and my area of town. I just purchased my leaf in December so I have most of my 2 years left. :cry:

The L3s are still a part of NCTC so you should be able to use them. Not that I am happy with them removing L2s and making it retroactive. There would be a lot of unhappy users. The right thing would have been to make this change for the new users.

I received the same email. Be aware, not all Blink DCQC units are part of the NCTC program. It will be interesting to see if Nissan does anything about this. Almost all of the public charging units I have used in Phoenix have been on the Blink network.

Gerry

I wonder why this is happening, because I suspect that Nissan is paying Blink a decent amount for access to these stations under NCTC and thus would be a revenue hit to Blink.

This is bulls--t. Easily 90% of the charging stations around here are Blink, with only two ChargePoint stations that I know of... and they don't support NCTC either.

On the positive side, Blink added 2 L3s to NCTC Phoenix and NRG added about 6 more with more on the way.

Still needed:
Fair billing by Blink. It should not be $7 to go over 32 minutes when you are occupied at work. It should be 10 cents per minute like NRG.

Plugshare should redesign their apps so that status maps and filters work to give you any map you need to see, such as no out-of-order, closed, or in-use stations, with status specific to L2 or L3.

Finally, EV users need to be able to reserve a parking space BEFORE driving to it.

Just some break-even mileage points for those who do not have home charging:

NRG's rate of 10 cents per minute comes to $0.17 per mile cost - if you get 4.0 miles/kWh.

Home direct charging cost at a high $/kWh mileage rate yields 3.5 cents per mile - differential per mile of $0.1342 - worst case conservative.

Thus for every $1,000 capital investment in charging station upfront cost yields a break-even mileage on NRG at 7,452 miles.

This is likely the average miles per year on a city based EV car. Thus every year you are buying a $1,000 charger and not getting one to have for years 7-8 of your EV's life. Not a good investment in the 10 cents per minute unless an emergency!!

Break-Even Cost = 1 year

Back