brake lights & B-mode etc

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caSteve

I haven't had a chance to test this, so thought I'd ask. Do the brake lights go on during regenerative braking? I mean, even when my foot is not on the brake pedal, the braking can feel significant enough to surprise someone following close behind. It's especially true when in B-mode.

I agree it would be "nice", but I don't know that it is a safety issue.

I would just like people behind me to know that my car actually has a lower rr than it appears!

Honestly, I'll take this chance to say I'm a big fan of the "B" mode. The system is really fine-tuned and it matches up perfectly with much of my commute. 40mph roads with hills and curves where I do have to slow down often, yet I rarely have to use the brakes if I'm in "B" mode.

Thanks all -- I'm surprised. I thought surely that B-mode regularly produces more than the minimum amount of friction braking needed to trigger an ordinary car's lights. Maybe that's an illusion. If not, it hardly seems like sorting out the lights would be an engineering challenge.

mwalsh said:
The only EV I've personally seen that deployed on is the VW Golf, concept version (I don't know if it made it to the production version).

Yes the production version turns on the brake lights in B mode.

Not much different from a manual transmission car. Engine braking in lower gears on my 550i is like deploying a boat anchor. Drivers behind me are seldom amused by this.

I seem to recall the Tesla does light the brakes depending on the deceleration rate but it has some stiff regen capability. LEAF's regen is milder than some manual-transmission cars' off-throttle deceleration. That being said, there are times when the gap behind closes more rapidly than I would like. There is a fine line, though, between alerting following drivers and annoying them by crying "Wolf!" too often.

Back