Buying advice. 2018 leaf n connecta

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeXx

Hi.
I'm just now entering the BEV world and am considering a used leaf.
I was faced with a high milage (ex Uber) leaf with 150k miles or 240k km. Seller says the car got the battery's swapped and is showing 90%SOH.

I got some prints from leaf spy and was hoping for some advice and if this gives any relevant information.

Cheers.

The battery looks good. You'd want to take readings at about 15-20% to make sure there are no weak cells, but what shows is fine. You may want to change the way the images are posted, though, as many/most people won't be able to see them.

It is still showing +37 kWh of capacity, so that's holding up pretty well. I'm guessing those QC and L1/L2 numbers were carried over from the previous battery. Everything does look fine, but as already suggested, run it down below 20% state of charge to see if any gaps start to form in the battery cells. Especially if a close "group" of them all show the same large degree of cell variance from the other cells.

As long as the rest of it is in good condition, be sure to check all accessories (if it has heated seats, steering wheel heater, rear windshield defroster, etc.) and I would check to see how old the 12V battery looks. I'm not sure if the Leaf was in drive mode or not, but if it was in drive mode, the 12V battery voltage is too low. If it was in ACC or Standby mode, the 12V battery voltage still looks a little low. :? I only mention that because it shows a 24 watt power draw that shouldn't be bringing the 12V battery down so low on voltage.

Thank you all for your replies.

I asked the seller to borrow the car for a few hours to do a real range test and check the cells when capacity is allot lower. From what I recall, I took the measurements with spyleaf when the car was with about 50% charge.

You may want to change the way the images are posted, though, as many/most people won't be able to see them.
I couldn't find a way to upload the photo directly to the post, so I had to upload them to a different service.

One of my other concerns is since the car has so many km's, that even if the battery is good, what is the average span of one of those motors? Perhaps the inverter is in the far end of its lifespan?

The guy is asking for 14 500€ which seems high for that high mileage car....

Hi...

HeXx said:
I couldn't find a way to upload the photo directly to the post, so I had to upload them to a different service.

You can upload them to a free image hosting site (e.g., imgbb.com) and place the image links in your post.

HeXx said:
The guy is asking for 14 500€ which seems high for that high mileage car....

The 2018 car has a lot of miles on it, but you mentioned that the battery was swapped, so this "newer" battery doesn't have the high mileage wear. Based on the euro currency symbol, I am assuming you are in Europe; I'm not sure what part of Europe or what the used EV market rates are in your area. Comparing that 14 500€ to my car being sold via a private party in my area: my 2018 Leaf S is in excellent condition, has approx. 29K miles on it, original battery in great condition, and is worth approx. $11K (10.4K €), per kbb.com; the kbb site does not evaluate based on battery SOH. So, that 14 500€ seems high to me.

I also have a question relating to the fact that the car only has 1 key.
Is it possible to "unpair" the missing key to prevent theft?
Is it possible to buy another key and register it to the car?
Without going to Nissan I mean.

Thank you.

One of my other concerns is since the car has so many km's, that even if the battery is good, what is the average span of one of those motors? Perhaps the inverter is in the far end of its lifespan?

The motors have yet to start to wear out. We are seeing issues with old Gen I inverters that may be related to age, but that isn't certain.

The battery looks good. You'd want to take readings at about 15-20% to make sure there are no weak cells, but what shows is fine. You may want to change the way the images are posted, though, as many/most people won't be able to see them.
After taking the readings at about 15% or 20%, which number would mean that there are weak cells? the mV number? How big would it be if there is weak cell?

Leaf 40kWh prices have dropped to below £10k (€11,600 euro) in UK, so good time to buy. Personally, I wouldn't consider a mileage over 80k for the price quoted, regardless of battery health. Lots of other stuff will start to go wrong at that point, including suspension, power steering, etc.

Looks fine to me, but I would look at low SoC as well: those motors probably outlast the battery packs, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I agree with decimal, too many miles for the price and a significant amount of other problems may crop-up with that kind of mileage, as is the case with both ICE vehicles and EV's.

Back