HOW-TO: 2018 Leaf ZE1 OEM headunit replacement (7" -> 8")

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CeladonCityNPC said:
If anyone reading this thread is interested in doing the mod on their car, I have my headunit + the adapter cable I made for sale. Installation takes all of 15 minutes. Works directly with a Tekna, just pop it in and enjoy. Will ship inside EU, asking for 250€ + shipping.

Sold my Leaf so this was left behind :D

I'm interested, but seems I can't send a DM since I'm new here, can you DM me so we can talk, thanks!

Dear all,

Let me start by saying you guys rock!!!
I have a Leaf 2.zero (the pre release version from 2018, basically a Tekna with some limitations in extra's).
Using Android auto, especially when navigating on maps or waze and simultaneously playing music on spotify, the screen would regularly freeze, reboot to the nissan logo, really annoying.
Then, about a month ago, it died altogether.
No screen, no parkdistance control, no indication of temp of airco, not even the usb charging the phone.
Went to the dealer , and they quoted me 4100 Eur for a replacement!!
Even the dealer was ashamed to mention the price.

So almost accepting that was it, I came across this thread, and I decided to go for it.
I used the wiring diagram posted here, thank you so much for all the work put into that, couldn't be clearer!!
Used the links to the connectors and found a great youtube on how to get the screen out of the dash.

So now comes the exciting part: I have to wait for the vin number to be updated by the dealer for 2 more weeks, the suspense is killing me :)
However, when I start the car, I get some 10 seconds before the "system locked" message comes up and I have seen:
-the radio working
-camera 360 park distance control image and sound
-the phone detecting android auto.

So I am quite optimistic on the final result, update here when I found out of course.
Please find a screenshot of the replacement head unit I put in.
I looked for one as old as possible as I read here that chances are higher for stuff to work....

Partnumber 259155SR0B
Production date 11.2019

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DNX2o7PRP2e4ckfh7

Thanks so much again,
Wilco

prebendginger said:
CeladonCityNPC said:
If anyone reading this thread is interested in doing the mod on their car, I have my headunit + the adapter cable I made for sale. Installation takes all of 15 minutes. Works directly with a Tekna, just pop it in and enjoy. Will ship inside EU, asking for 250€ + shipping.

Sold my Leaf so this was left behind :D

I'm interested, but seems I can't send a DM since I'm new here, can you DM me so we can talk, thanks!

Hi, tried to dm you, maybe it's not coming through?

Anyway, headunit is still for sale if anyone's interested!

Wilconl said:
Dear all,

I have a Leaf 2.zero (the pre release version from 2018, basically a Tekna with some limitations in extra's).
Using Android auto, especially when navigating on maps or waze and simultaneously playing music on spotify, the screen would regularly freeze, reboot to the nissan logo, really annoying.
No screen, no parkdistance control, no indication of temp of airco, not even the usb charging the phone.

So almost accepting that was it, I came across this thread, and I decided to go for it.
I used the wiring diagram posted here, thank you so much for all the work put into that, couldn't be clearer!!
Used the links to the connectors and found a great youtube on how to get the screen out of the dash.

So now comes the exciting part: I have to wait for the vin number to be updated by the dealer for 2 more weeks, the suspense is killing me :)
However, when I start the car, I get some 10 seconds before the "system locked" message comes up and I have seen:
-the radio working

So I am quite optimistic on the final result, update here when I found out of course.
I looked for one as old as possible as I read here that chances are higher for stuff to work....

Partnumber 259155SR0B
Production date 11.2019

Thanks so much again,
Wilco

Wow this is great to hear! And I'm really glad this thread was of some actual use, and not just a vanity project to get a slightly bigger screen :D . Let us know what the result is.

In case the dealer is not successful in the vin update, don't fret, you can just wire in the PCB to the cables to make it work. That's what I did :) it's like 20 mins of extra work (and of course like 60 euros.)

BUT if the dealer was indeed able to code the headunit to your VIN, could you let us know if your compass is working reliably on the instrument cluster display? For the rest of us, it's spotty at best. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's not there at all (the view is empty.) I am wondering if this is caused by the CAN filter installed by the rest of us. Thanks in advance!

Wilconl said:
Dear all,

-the radio working

Partnumber 259155SR0B
Production date 11.2019

Thanks so much again,
Wilco

I'm looking to do exactly the same for my 2.zero - and was quoted a similar £4500 for a dealer to replace the unit, so I'm extremely interested in how well yours works now :D

Mine is at the 'random crashing and lockups' stage of failure so I guess eventually I'll have nothing to lose by trying, but for the moment, it seems like the unit only dies completely with Android Auto running.

Did the dealer manage to get the unit re-coded? Do any features not work in particular - I see some folks here mentioning the HVAC and cameras being a problem?

Dear All,

Thank you for all the useful tips you provided, especially for @CeladonCityNPC. I am writing to share my experience with a Tekna from 2018.

The head unit in the car stopped working completely after several month of freezing while using Android Auto.

As a result, I decided to upgrade the 7" Clarion head unit to the 8" version.

Our old head unit was a 25915 5SJ1B model, and I managed to purchase a used one from eBay with a modell number 259155SN0C.
We followed @Danep82's drawings to re-pin the connectors, and then went to a Nissan dealer to have the VIN rewritten. However, Nissan refused to help since the radio was not intended for our specific car.
I had to find an alternative solution, so I contacted a small private service in Hungary that resolved the VIN coding issue, and now the head unit is functioning flawlessly.

However, we are having trouble with the 360 camera, and we have yet to find a solution to fix it. This is the only thing that is not working. We tried to reflash the Head unit with several firmwares but did not help.

Can anyone suggest any method to find it out which firmware we should use with the module that handles the 360 camera with this 259155SN0C modell? Or what else we should check?

(currently if we press the camera button currently it displays a black screen)

Thanks

Richard

Ricsi72 said:

Hello Richard! Thanks for the message. Could you perhaps describe the black screen any further, or is it just a completely black screen with no picture or text at all?

Does the service menu (described in the first pages of this thread) show any error codes?

Can we be certain the new head unit is from a Tekna? I believe we discussed that earlier in this thread but you should be able to check it from the audio settings of the headunit.

CeladonCityNPC said:
Ricsi72 said:

Hello Richard! Thanks for the message. Could you perhaps describe the black screen any further, or is it just a completely black screen with no picture or text at all?

Does the service menu (described in the first pages of this thread) show any error codes?

Can we be certain the new head unit is from a Tekna? I believe we discussed that earlier in this thread but you should be able to check it from the audio settings of the headunit.

Hello, the black screen means, nothing is on the screen, no text, no picutre. The seller of the headunit couldn't tell what was the trim level of the car that was the donor :-(.

Currently I'm unable to click any of the options where the alter configuration is displayed:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V9buLWErJdbRTmQ78

Thanks
Richard

Ricsi72 said:
Hello, the black screen means, nothing is on the screen, no text, no picutre. The seller of the headunit couldn't tell what was the trim level of the car that was the donor :-(.

Alright, got it. Based on your photos, the service menu doesn't really show any apparent issues except that the headunit doesn't even seem to try to connect to the 360° camera control unit (no AVM ECU on the diagrams.)

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say your headunit is from a car with a normal rear view camera. Thus it's just showing a black screen as no analog signal is received. If the headunit was from a Tekna, and the AVM ECU wasn't responding, it wouldn't even open the camera view at all as there is no response.

You can confirm it by opening the audio / sound settings on the headunit. If there is an option for "bass boost" or something like that, it's not a Tekna, as that is handled by the Bose amp on Teknas, but by the headunit on other trim versions.

Let us know what you find out.

It's a shame your dealer isn't being more helpful, because if you have the wrong trim level on the headunit, it's trivial for the dealer to reinstall the correct software. My dealer did it last year for mine as the headunit was from an N-Connecta trim, but they reinstalled the firmware to it and it became a Tekna headunit.

Edit: I suspect "LVDM" in your connection diagram in the service menu refers to a regular "low voltage differential signaling" rear-view camera. For mine this one was called "Entry_AVM": https://imgur.com/a/fukBRqr
AVM = All-View Monitor.

Do you have the option to go to another dealer and ask them to install the Tekna software on your headunit? Just emphasize you're willing to pay for the labor! :lol:

CeladonCityNPC said:
Ricsi72 said:

Alright, got it. Based on your photos, the service menu doesn't really show any apparent issues except that the headunit doesn't even seem to try to connect to the 360° camera control unit (no AVM ECU on the diagrams.)

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say your headunit is from a car with a normal rear view camera. Thus it's just showing a black screen as no analog signal is received. If the headunit was from a Tekna, and the AVM ECU wasn't responding, it wouldn't even open the camera view at all as there is no response.

You can confirm it by opening the audio / sound settings on the headunit. If there is an option for "bass boost" or something like that, it's not a Tekna, as that is handled by the Bose amp on Teknas, but by the headunit on other trim versions.

Let us know what you find out.

It's a shame your dealer isn't being more helpful, because if you have the wrong trim level on the headunit, it's trivial for the dealer to reinstall the correct software. My dealer did it last year for mine as the headunit was from an N-Connecta trim, but they reinstalled the firmware to it and it became a Tekna headunit.

Edit: I suspect "LVDM" in your connection diagram in the service menu refers to a regular "low voltage differential signaling" rear-view camera. For mine this one was called "Entry_AVM": https://imgur.com/a/fukBRqr
AVM = All-View Monitor.

Do you have the option to go to another dealer and ask them to install the Tekna software on your headunit? Just emphasize you're willing to pay for the labor! :lol:

According to the audio menu, for me it seems, it has been Already set to Tekna
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQpWWjRgXpYpv61R6
Is there any other way to check?

Ricsi72 said:
According to the audio menu, for me it seems, it has been Already set to Tekna
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dQpWWjRgXpYpv61R6
Is there any other way to check?
That's strange. That does indeed look like it's configured for a Tekna based on the sound settings, but according to the service menu it seems to indicate the headunit is expecting to have a standard rear view camera. Is it possible that in your particular market Nissan sells the Leaf with the Bose amp but without the 360 cameras?

Or I guess it may be possible that these things can be separately configured for the headunit, in which case my analysis may be wrong and they're not linked at all simply based on the trim level. Perhaps the headunit can be programmed to accept the Bose amp and the 360 camera control unit entirely separately.

In either case I'd still try to get a dealer to configure it.

Boy what a frustrating experience this all is lol

Car - JDM ZE1 2018 G Grade (top spec), non Bose with pro-pilot, 360 deg, Intelligent Rear view etc

Purchased head Unit 25915-5SN0C, made the harness and Integrated the Zelamir board into it.

Results so far,

It's definitely a Bose Unit, parking sensors really low, volume no good (my car isn't Bose - 2018 JDM)
360 cameras not working
Can't get unit to auto dim with headlights?
Source menu WORKS
Everything else works including Energy Usage menu.

In the service menu everything came up green, initially after Self Diagnostic. The camera detected under head Unit but came up as "Rear Camera", so sounds like the unit came from a car without 360 cameras

Dimming display wise, in the vehicle signals part it detects illumination (pin 9 ILL Cont), but no idea how to detect if ILL (old pin 9 to 45) is working..... Seems no as Illumination shows as 100% in the same menu regardless of headlights on or off?

Everything was good, then after finalising the harness I now have...

Clock won't sync with the dash, was fine on the initial start-up. You can see it detects as when I switch from 12 hr to 24 hr the AM/PM goes on and off on the dash... Source still shows etc.

In self diagnostic mode now lots of components showing errors off the Head Unit branch and "Rear Camera" no longer shows.

For now I've put the old unit back in, will park for now I think. I need to undo the patch harness I think and check each pin.

Wow this is great to hear! And I'm really glad this thread was of some actual use, and not just a vanity project to get a slightly bigger screen :D . Let us know what the result is.

In case the dealer is not successful in the vin update, don't fret, you can just wire in the PCB to the cables to make it work. That's what I did :) it's like 20 mins of extra work (and of course like 60 euros.)

BUT if the dealer was indeed able to code the headunit to your VIN, could you let us know if your compass is working reliably on the instrument cluster display? For the rest of us, it's spotty at best. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's not there at all (the view is empty.) I am wondering if this is caused by the CAN filter installed by the rest of us. Thanks in advance!
A quick update, sorry for the delay....

So....
Updating the system to work with my car in the dealership worked like a charm.
Somehow the system's security is tied in with the code of the carkeys, so I had to bring the spare key in as well to have that re-programmed.
After that it works!
Well, almost everything works ;-) , the reported problems above I also see:

-source menu not working on IC display (it will show CD when I am using Android auto)
For me this isn't really a problem as audio quality is great and I get all my info from Android auto on the main display which works great

-compass info intermittently missing from IC display
I get that too, real funny: either it will work from the start, or it won't (sometimes even after a quick stop when the car is turned off and on, it will come on or off, seems real Random)
Again, doesn't bother me too much as I use Android auto

-Android/iOS app will stop working (the app to control Aircon, battery status etc)
That is unfortunately the main nuisance. I am still in a lengthy discussion with support from Nissan but no solution yet. (hence the delay in my reply here, would have been so cool to have solved that one to give back to you guys)
I read in here somewhere the suspicion that it has the to do with the app version, and I am convinced that that is right:
My system is supporting the new nissan connect app, where my car's VIN number is somewhere registered as having a headunit for the old app.
My headunit has connection, it's doing updates (I can even see the battery status in the You+ Nissan website), but the new app doesn't let me pass the first VIN check.
I even tried using the VIN number of the donor car of the headunit (traced it through the seller), however then I also get an error as the former owner had already registered an account, so maybe Nissan has to release that accont as well (as they would need to when the car changes owner.
So my money is now on having Nissan do a registration on their end, still trying to get them to do that. If I ever succeed will definitely let you know.

So all things considered, was it worth it?

100% absolutely !!! Of course for me it was a no brainer, as my old system fried, and the quote by Nissan was ridiculous, but having no more glitches, system freezes, a bigger better screen, I would have done it anyway.

So for having the heating on now to defrost the windshield in the morning I use the timer that you can set in the car, which works ok, of course I miss remote access, but will keep trying.

Hope this info helps you out there,
If you have any questions please ask!

Hi all,

I am working on version for leaf ze0. I found probably only one possible solution how fit BIG ZE1 headunit to ze0 trim. I removed plastic part about the ze1 display + some easy ze0 trim modifications. Last step is cut ze0 trim to two pieces to access headunit screws. If all will be working fine I will modify ze1 headunit plastic part to give modification proffesional look :) (hide pcb from display) . Now I am working on headunit cable.

IMG-20240125-124910726.jpg

upside.png

IMG-20240125-124730145.jpg

So....
Somehow the system's security is tied in with the code of the carkeys, so I had to bring the spare key in as well to have that re-programmed.
After that it works!

-source menu not working on IC display (it will show CD when I am using Android auto)
For me this isn't really a problem as audio quality is great and I get all my info from Android auto on the main display which works great

I get that too, real funny: either it will work from the start, or it won't (sometimes even after a quick stop when the car is turned off and on, it will come on or off, seems real Random)

-Android/iOS app will stop working (the app to control Aircon, battery status etc)
That is unfortunately the main nuisance. I am still in a lengthy discussion with support from Nissan but no solution yet. (hence the delay in my reply here, would have been so cool to have solved that one to give back to you guys)
I read in here somewhere the suspicion that it has the to do with the app version, and I am convinced that that is right:
My system is supporting the new nissan connect app, where my car's VIN number is somewhere registered as having a headunit for the old app.
My headunit has connection, it's doing updates (I can even see the battery status in the You+ Nissan website), but the new app doesn't let me pass the first VIN check.
I even tried using the VIN number of the donor car of the headunit (traced it through the seller), however then I also get an error as the former owner had already registered an account, so maybe Nissan has to release that accont as well (as they would need to when the car changes owner.
So my money is now on having Nissan do a registration on their end, still trying to get them to do that. If I ever succeed will definitely let you know.

100% absolutely !!! Of course for me it was a no brainer, as my old system fried, and the quote by Nissan was ridiculous, but having no more glitches, system freezes, a bigger better screen, I would have done it anyway.

So for having the heating on now to defrost the windshield in the morning I use the timer that you can set in the car, which works ok, of course I miss remote access, but will keep trying.

Extra update: I got word from Nissan support, as they are trying to get my app back to working, and all of a sudden the 3rd party software MyLeaf works (partially)!!
I can now switch airco on/off and set a timer for it.
It will not update the temperature or the battery charge level, but honestly controlling the aircon is most important for me!

Will keep updating if they get the official app to work...

Extra update: I got word from Nissan support, as they are trying to get my app back to working, and all of a sudden the 3rd party software MyLeaf works (partially)!!
I can now switch airco on/off and set a timer for it.
It will not update the temperature or the battery charge level, but honestly controlling the aircon is most important for me!

Will keep updating if they get the official app to work...
Nice finding. Now I known what is the problem. Firstly nissan connect service send status request to the car. TCU in the car via active polling check and store in the cache version of all ecus and another info (SOH, SOC ....) and send response to the server. Server check version of some ecus minimal headunit and tcu (serial number) compare it with db info about car by VIN number. If there is some problem (serial number difference) refuse send remote control command to car.
So there must be some difference in calling nissan cloud api via strandard app and via 3rd parties app.

Possible solution of your problem in service bulletin but available only US version. There is telephpone number for Nissan Replacement Support.
You need send old unit info and new unit info to pair new headunit ID with your car.

Last edited:
Good day, any news about that? is there any chance to have everithing working well?

Tnx.

Is at least possible to do that display upgrade by official channel having that done well witout any issue?

Thanx everybody.

So....
After that it works!

Nice finding. Now I known what is the problem. Firstly nissan connect service send status request to the car. TCU in the car via active polling check and store in the cache version of all ecus and another info (SOH, SOC ....) and send response to the server. Server check version of some ecus minimal headunit and tcu (serial number) compare it with db info about car by VIN number. If there is some problem (serial number difference) refuse send remote control command to car.
So there must be some difference in calling nissan cloud api via strandard app and via 3rd parties app.

Possible solution of your problem in service bulletin but available only US version. There is telephpone number for Nissan Replacement Support.
You need send old unit info and new unit info to pair new serial number with your car.
Thanks for that info!
I will definitely pass that on to lical.support here in NL.
Do you maybe have a link to thr service bulletin?
Best regards,
Wilco

Good day, any news about that? is there any chance to have everithing working well?

Tnx.

Is at least possible to do that display upgrade by official channel having that done well witout any issue?

Thanx everybody.
Hi,

well you can try to have a replacement done officially through the dealer, but the costs are ridiculous (4k Euro) and honestly I think they would run into the same problems with remote access.
Like I posted before, I consider the replacement via the instructions in this thread here a definite success.
basically all is working, even the remote airco control (via 3rd party app)
I even checked the car's navigation and that works fine as well (also when the compass is out on the IC)

hope that answers your question

Tnx.

Thanx everybody.

Thanks for that info!
I will definitely pass that on to lical.support here in NL.
Do you maybe have a link to thr service bulletin?
Best regards,
Wilco
Its called UNIT ID - possible to read it in Unit ID Information screen and new UNIT ID must be assigned in the nissan DB for your car. Service bulletin here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10190166-0001.pdf
PART 8 on the page 15. I am very curious if nissan help you , I need it too.

EDIT:
By my research UNIT ID format is:
XXXX YY SSSSSS

XXXX - 4 digits > headunit type id
YY - 2 digits > headunit equipment id
SSSSSS - 6 characters > serial number

from UNIT ID are important first 4 digits for autorisation to nissan services. So if you replace exactly same model of the headunit remote services work fine ?? Of course after fixing nats security if its EU version.

Last edited:
Back