California air board to vote on landmark electric-car rules

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Issa goes wherever the money takes him (for example when he received contributions from Aptera and pushed hard for their DOE loan to go through). As of right now I expect we'll find that he's "owned" by oil interests and, therefore, all of a sudden has a complete aversion to clean energy vehicles.

Here you go:

Oil company contributions to Issa as of May 2011:

Chevron $23,500
ConocoPhillips $5,500
ExxonMobil $22,000
Occidental $7,000
Valero $19,500

Source: http://issawatch.couragecampaign.org/index.php/page/162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Well, Issa goes wherever the money takes him (for example when he received contributions from Aptera and pushed hard for their DOE loan to go through). As of right now I expect we'll find that he's "owned" by oil interests and, therefore, all of a sudden has a complete aversion to clean energy vehicles.

Mr. Issa can't be bought, but he can be rented.

Rather mystified by how heavily their projections rely on fuel cell technology. BEV are on the road and will only improve by the time any economically viable fuel cell vehicle and infrastructure is ready.

Nubo said:
Rather mystified by how heavily their projections rely on fuel cell technology. BEV are on the road and will only improve by the time any economically viable fuel cell vehicle and infrastructure is ready.
The graphic shows that the fuel cell technology is 20 years out...as it always will be.

Spies said:
Supposedly it already has some loopholes. From Plug In America:
CARB Board Chair Mary Nichols negotiated a special deal which would dramatically weaken the California ZEV program allowing automakers that ‘overcomply’ with the new Federal GHG standards so they get away with producing less EVs.
Urge CARB to close yet another ZEV loophole!

Good catch from the PIA webpage. I would likely have missed it entirely if it wasn't for your posting. Well, I submitted my letter per the PIA webpage. We'll see if it has any positive effect this time around, since a prior letter approach with the Costco EVSE issue seemingly fell on deaf ears.

Electric4Me said:
Nubo said:
The graphic shows that the fuel cell technology is 20 years out...as it always will be.
Yes, can you imagine? About twice as much hydrogen as BEV in 2050 according to what that says CARB's vision is. I'd be willing to bet $1000 that it will be at least the opposite ratio, except that I probably won't be around in 2050 to collect.

Ray

It passed!! :D

California Orders Automakers to Sell More Non-Polluting Cars
2012-01-27 19:33:55.331 GMT

By Alan Ohnsman and James Nash
Jan. 27 (Bloomberg) -- California will require automakers to sell millions of “zero emission” vehicles -- battery- electric, plug-in hybrid and hydrogen-powered -- setting new standards followed by states from New York to Oregon.
The rules adopted today by the California Air Resources Board mean manufacturers will have to produce about 1.4 million advanced vehicles for sale in that state alone by 2025, more than 40 times the number on the road from 1996 through 2010, according to a state analysis.

Ready2plugin said:
It passed!! :D

California Orders Automakers to Sell More Non-Polluting Cars
2012-01-27 19:33:55.331 GMT

By Alan Ohnsman and James Nash
Jan. 27 (Bloomberg) -- California will require automakers to sell millions of “zero emission” vehicles -- battery- electric, plug-in hybrid and hydrogen-powered -- setting new standards followed by states from New York to Oregon.
The rules adopted today by the California Air Resources Board mean manufacturers will have to produce about 1.4 million advanced vehicles for sale in that state alone by 2025, more than 40 times the number on the road from 1996 through 2010, according to a state analysis.
What is it Carlos Ghosn said? "We must predict the future, and if it comes, we'll be ready." Way to go!

Good article:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...0AAbOA?docId=13eed6062a384e53b4f892655e9f1956

"...by 2021 all companies will be producing the full complement of zero-emission vehicles."

"Our research shows a $1,400 to $1,900 car price increase. But over the life of the vehicles, the owners save $6,000 in reduced fuel and maintenance costs," board spokesman David Clegern said.

One of the nation's foremost consumer groups, the Consumers' Union, the policy and advocacy division of Consumer Reports, supported the changes.

The rules will "protect consumers by encouraging the development of cleaner, more efficient cars that save families money, help reduce the American economy's vulnerability to oil price shocks and reduce harmful air pollution," according to a letter from the group.

I'm impressed by Consumer's Union position statement. :D

smkettner said:
I can't believe the hydrogen fuel expectation when electricity is already distributed everywhere.

Many automakers have substantial investments in H2, Honda especially. CARB made earlier mandates that favored H2 strongly, then suddenly reversed direction. My guess is that they lobbied CARB to make it so they could recoup their investment.

The news article doesn't mention if natural gas vehicles are included as part of this low emission. Does anyone have information CNG role in this? Hydrogen does not have carbon but it's infrastructure is much further behind electric vehicles. If CNG is part of the solution, then I expect to see more CNG vehicles than EVs to meet the CARB expectations.

Nekota said:
The news article doesn't mention if natural gas vehicles are included as part of this low emission.
Well, let's see, now. When natural gas burns it produces CO2, just like any other fossil fuel. And natural gas itself is far more "effective" as a greenhouse gas than even CO2 is, so any leaks, or loss during transfer ...

Ray

Back