Can I change the 3.3kw charger to a 6.6?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suvve80

Can I change the 3.3kw charger to a 6.6?
I have a Leaf 2015, 3.3kw with Chademo. A 6.6ka charger is available without Chademo. Can I change it without problems?

I think you'll have to provide more information about your mechanical/electrical aptitude if you hope to get a reasonable answer.

Literally anything is possible. Not everything is feasible for every person.

Don't forget the 2015 has the charger under the hood and the early Leafs had it behind the back seat. I thought, but could be wrong, by 2015 anything that had a 6.6Kw charger also had Chademo? I could be wrong, but it seams odd to have one without the other.

May be I'm wrong? Just seams odd to have one without the other. The higher trim levels they had both, the lower S could have it optional, but I thought it was a "charging package", that had both the bigger charger and the CHademo.
May be it depends on what part of the world you are in?

For my 2012 version, the chademo is routed thru the High Voltage Junction Box [located near the firewall], it does not go thru the On Board Charger [yes, located behind the rear seat]

Does the HVJB still exist on later models with the PDM or are all of those functions contained there?
[edit: found my own answer, for the later models the PDM does function as the HVJB and it comes in 2 models, with and without Chademo]

Last edited:
Yes it's very possible and not even that hard, just very time consuming if you're doing it for the first time. You have to take off the windshield wiper assembly and trim, take out the 12V battery and tray and then you have access to all the bolts you need to take off the PDM first and then the charger. Then reverse with a compatible new charger. If you're looking, these are the 6.6kW charger codes w/QC:

292C0-3NF3A
292C0-3NF7A
292C0-3NF3B
292C0-3NF3C
292C0-3NF7B
292C0-3NF7C
292C0-3NF3D
292C0-4NP3A

All chargers are compatible with the car and automatically work correctly after installation - no software tricks required.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a 6+ kW DC charger with Chademo to be plugged in to a 3-phase 230V outlet. No need for updating your charger then... ;-)

The charger would need three "Line" inputs, and the rectifiers to go along with it. The Leaf charger has only two line inputs, and rectifiers sets.
I could be built for 3 but wasn't. Converting now isn't going to be easy.
Edit: I see you are talking about building an external charger then hooking to the car via Chademo. I suppose but still a lot of work, and you would need to include the Chademo communications to the charger you built, it couldn't just be simple HV DC output.
A lot of work for not much gain, unless you go much bigger, and then you need a bigger three phase supply.

Back