Intermittent Service EV system, drives but can't charge (leaf 2021)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chek

Hey guys.
Read few topics about this issue here though mine seems to be a bit different.

1) 2021 leaf (just got it) with 28k km;
2) went to try a Chevron Fast Charger (CHAdeMO) for the first time, the charger was faulty and I did not manage to charge;
3) after that got 'Service EV system' message. Was able to drive home ok, but when plugged to my home charger - it did beep and did not start charging.
4) after 5-10 min waiting and starting/turning off car several times - message went away and now able to charge.

Saw some of the post that it could happen after trying to use glitchy charger but did not find a ton of info.
I just got this car and can change it. Thinking to bring it back and swap with something else.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

4) after 5-10 min waiting and starting/turning off car several times - message went away and now able to charge.
You probably didn't need repeated power cycles, but the EV system reset itself. I have seen this behavior with (some) L2 chargers (which I avoid), so there is no need to worry.

Hey guys.
Read few topics about this issue here though mine seems to be a bit different.

1) 2021 leaf (just got it) with 28k km;
2) went to try a Chevron Fast Charger (CHAdeMO) for the first time, the charger was faulty and I did not manage to charge;
3) after that got 'Service EV system' message. Was able to drive home ok, but when plugged to my home charger - it did beep and did not start charging.

Saw some of the post that it could happen after trying to use glitchy charger but did not find a ton of info.
I just got this car and can change it. Thinking to bring it back and swap with something else.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
You didnt say if the 120v charger works?
My phillips charger (6.6kw/220v) worked well for 5 years. Then the car would beep and not charge..just flash lights.
Previously I learned sometimes I have to clean out the connector in the car. A tree leaf can cause it to fail.. dirt and snow can cause it to fail.
So I learned to giggle the charging handle.
Now, every time I plug it into the 6.6kw charger. I have to slide the handle all the way into the slot, then lift the back of the handle until it goes "click" and it charges fine.

I do not have such problems with the 120v trickle charger from Nissan

Hi all.
An update - this was caused by faulty charging station. It turned out that it is broken and gives the same headache to other cars too.
Unfortunately, this happens to a lot of new owners and the dealership is more than happy to take your money to simply reset the DTC code (the same thing that LeafSpy can do). Some QC stations just need to be avoided, but often go unreported when the owner of the Leaf thinks it is somehow their fault. 😨

This happens to my wife at least 1 or 2 times a year because she just likes to use any QC possible when she travels, often has these issues at poorly maintained QC stations.

This may be an “is it plugged in” problem. I’ve plugged mine in but not “completely” plugged it in, so I always look for the little orange light next to the little green light (which says that the charger is getting power) The orang light says whether the car is taking power or not. No green light and the charger isn’t connected.

Back