Canada to Mexico

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidh

An open letter to Billy Hayes
Dear Mr. Billy Hayes it has come to my attention that one could relatively easily drive from Canada to Mexico with the addition of two (2) charging stations along the I5 corridor (preferably fast chargers). One in Yreka, California and one in Mt Shasta, California. I think that this would be a relatively inexpensive move that you could make that would give you a lot of positive publicity (A LOT). Being able to say that one can go EV from Canada to Mexico. And it would not take that much more to cover the entire I5 corridor. An EV charging stations pathway from Canada to Mexico would truly demonstrate the acceptance of the technology.

I intend to try to make this trip and will be hitting Yreka, California July 13 nothing would be cooler than to be the first to use a new station there, as I attempt this trans-America trip.

Keep Dreaming Big.

Sincerely David Henshaw

P.S. I love my Leaf :) !

davidh said:
I intend to try to make this trip and will be hitting Yreka, California July 13 nothing would be cooler than to be the first to use a new station there, as I attempt this trans-America trip.

Keep Dreaming Big.

Sincerely David Henshaw

P.S. I love my Leaf :) !

That's a great dream, and you can do it!!! You could even join others who are doing it!!! (actually, we will be in Yreka, California July 2, 2013)

Last year, starting June 12 until June 20, 2012, I drove a 2012 Nissan LEAF from Tijuana, Baja California (BC), Mexico to White Rock, British Columbia (BC), Canada in 8 days, 5 hours. That was the first "BC2BC".

During that trip, I was the first EV to cross both Oregon and Washington on the West Coast Electric Highway, and we are going to do it again this year, starting June 29, 2013. Why not join us?

We will have record setting EV driver Terry Hershner, who was recently the first electric motorcycle rider to cross the USA coast to coast (San Diego, California to Jacksonville, Florida) in our All Electric Vehicle Rally, "BC2BC-2013", 1500 miles from Canada to Mexico. We will also have a whole lot of other folks:

• (1) BMW ActiveE (J1772 only) - 90 - 110 mile range

(1) Mitsubishi iMiev (J1772 and CHAdeMO) - 70 - 85 mile range

(2) Nissan LEAF (J1772 and CHAdeMO) - 80 - 100 mile range

(1) Tesla Roadster (J1772 only) - 220 - 250 mile range

(3) Tesla Model S (J1772 and Supercharger) - 240 - 300 mile range

(1) Toyota Rav4 EV GenII (J1772 only) - 140 - 160 mile range

(1) PSIDA eCycle

1) ZERO Motorcycle (J1772 only) - 200 mile range

http://www.BC2BC-2013.EventBrite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.AllElectricVehicleRally.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.BC2BC-party-SJC.EventBrite.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.WestCoastGreenHighway.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=207811#p207811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BC2BCLogo2013.jpg

The Four Stages are:

Google Maps - Peace Arch State Park, WA to McDonald's, San Ysidro, CA, click here

June 29 - Begin Stage 1 (529 miles), Rally start at Peace Arch state park, Blaine, Washington

June 29 - Optional stop(s) in Seattle area, TBD - Rally time is paused while at the stop(s)

June 30 - Optional stop(s) in Portland area, TBD - Rally time is paused while at the stop(s)

July 1 - Grants Pass, Oregon, Stage Overnight Point, La Quinta Inn hotel

July 2 - Begin Stage 2 (374 miles), Grants Pass, Oregon

July 4 - Santa Rosa, California, Stage Overnight Point, Hyatt hotel

July 5 - Begin Stage 3 (274 miles), Santa Rosa, California

July 5 - Optional stop(s) in San Francisco Bay area, TBD - - Rally time is paused while at the stop(s)

July 6 - San Luis Obispo, California, Stage Overnight Point, Embassy Suites hotel

July 7 - Begin Stage 4 (321 miles), San Luis Obispo, California

July 7 - Optional stop in San Juan Capistrano, California, Residence Inn - - Rally time is paused while at the stop

July 7 - Arrive at End Point, McDonalds, San Ysidro, California

Posted: 1508 miles total

I just don't see the charging stations at the top of CA. Am I missing some charging stations.

Thanks Dave

The county of Siskiyou, California (bordering Oregon on the 5 freeway) is working on putting in some chargers just for this event, but don't count on it. In addition, we will have a Fuji Electric DC CHAdeMO flown in for the launch on June 29, 2013 at Blaine. It's possible we may have something similar in Yreka, Mt. Shasta and Williams, California on July 2, 2013.

If so, it will ONLY be available to BC2BC participants.

Tony

TonyWilliams said:
The county of Siskiyou, California (bordering Oregon on the 5 freeway) is working on putting in some chargers just for this event, but don't count on it. In addition, we will have a Fuji Electric DC CHAdeMO flown in for the launch on June 29, 2013 at Blaine. It's possible we may have something similar in Yreka, Mt. Shasta and Williams, California on July 2, 2013.

Tony
Wow, that would really be great. Unfortunately even if the assets are in place in Williams I have reservations to spend the night of July 2nd prior to reaching that point. That's the cost of not having all information ahead of time I guess.

If I have to Jerry rig a cable to make this trip, then I'm demonstrating that the technology is not accepted. And that is the exact opposite of what I want to do. I want to make this trip just plugging in to the plugs on my car; that shows the acceptance of the technology.

Thanks Dave

TonyWilliams said:

Tony

We will be staying the night in Redding on the night of July second...a DCQC in Yreka and Mt. Shasta would be nice.

TonyWilliams said:

Tony

Are they staying there or are they just for that day.

Thanks dave

davidh said:
If I have to Jerry rig a cable to make this trip, then I'm demonstrating that the technology is not accepted. And that is the exact opposite of what I want to do. I want to make this trip just plugging in to the plugs on my car; that shows the acceptance of the technology.

Thanks Dave
I understand your feelings. Don't make the trip.

The infrastructure is being built out now. We are the early adopters and Washington and Oregon have done a good job of placing DC QC stations along I-5 to make travelling the Electric Highway a breeze but California is lagging behind. In fairness California has more of the highway than Washington or Oregon but even so they are still lagging behind.

BTW, the fact that the infrastructure has not been completed yet does NOT show a lack of acceptance and many (maybe even most) people here have had their portable EVSE upgraded. It is not a hack, Jerry rigged upgrade and I would recommend that you read more about it so that you understand the benefits of having it done.

BIGneutrino said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony

We will be staying the night in Redding on the night of July second...a DCQC in Yreka and Mt. Shasta would be nice.
Watch out for the terrain changes between Ashland and Weed. If I have calculated it correctly my LEAF will lose over five KWh just due to the altitude changes. It's only about 65 miles but wow, that terrain is killer.

davidh said:

Thanks Dave

Is the EVSEupgrade your version of "Jerry rig"?

davidh said:
TonyWilliams said:

Tony

Are they staying there or are they just for that day.

Thanks dave

Since, as I said, it's would be for our event, it wouldn't matter to you how long or little time they stay (unless you were in the event). They won't be public.

Luft said:
uWow, that would really be great. Unfortunately even if the assets are in place in Williams I have reservations to spend the night of July 2nd prior to reaching that point. That's the cost of not having all information ahead of time I guess.

Wouldn't you be able to cancel your reservation if you could get a charge and move on?

TonyWilliams said:
Luft said:
uWow, that would really be great. Unfortunately even if the assets are in place in Williams I have reservations to spend the night of July 2nd prior to reaching that point. That's the cost of not having all information ahead of time I guess.

Wouldn't you be able to cancel your reservation if you could get a charge and move on?
I was going to camp in the Lakehead camp and RV park. There is a policy of only 50% refund which is no big deal. The real deal breaker is that some friends are picking me up from the RV park and taking me to the Klondike Klub for drinks and Tuesday Taco night while my car charges. I would feel really bad about canceling out on them.

EDIT: I just had a thought. Tony, if you could arrange for a DC QC to be positioned so that I could make the final party that would be way kewl! :D

Luft said:
davidh said:

Thanks Dave
I understand your feelings. Don't make the trip.

The infrastructure is being built out now. We are the early adopters and Washington and Oregon have done a good job of placing DC QC stations along I-5 to make travelling the Electric Highway a breeze but California is lagging behind. In fairness California has more of the highway than Washington or Oregon but even so they are still lagging behind.

BTW, the fact that the infrastructure has not been completed yet does NOT show a lack of acceptance and many (maybe even most) people here have had their portable EVSE upgraded. It is not a hack, Jerry rigged upgrade and I would recommend that you read more about it so that you understand the benefits of having it done.

If the cord upgrade is so great why doesn't Nissan just do it.
I think that the upgraded EVSE cable is a great idea and works well for for most users (3.3 kw). But the upgrade people make the claim that a 3 X 12AWG + 1 X 18AWG WIRES IN CABLE VW can run 25amps continually. it is a VW rated cable that is rated for 30 amps but not continually. It's max would be 24 amps and I would not want to do that on a hot day.

see example http://code.necplus.org/sample/document.php?id=necss%3A70-2011%3Anecs70-210.20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, yes and no. For the average Joe, having to take 9 days to do it is not exactly universal acceptance, regardless...

davidh said:

davidh said:
If the cord upgrade is so great why doesn't Nissan just do it.
I think that the upgraded EVSE cable is a great idea and works well for for most users (3.3 kw). But the upgrade people make the claim that a 3 X 12AWG + 1 X 18AWG WIRES IN CABLE VW can run 25amps continually. it is a VW rated cable that is rated for 30 amps but not continually. It's max would be 24 amps and I would not want to do that on a hot day.

see example http://code.necplus.org/sample/document.php?id=necss%3A70-2011%3Anecs70-210.20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who told you that? They set the upgrades for a max of 20a. They don't run them at 25a.

Back