Can't get wax off of mirrors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I recently waxed my Leaf and I accidentally got some on the plastic bits of the mirrors and a few other spots on the Leaf. I can't get the wax off. I've scrubbed and scrubbed but it is down inside the little rough parts of the plastic. Any ideas on how to remedy this?
photo_zps7b8a43fc.jpg

Use some peanut butter as you would car wax.

I've been using this to wax the car lately -- don't have to be careful of missing the black trim:

http://www.eagleone.com/gel-wax-with-carnauba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This happened to me before. I used a product called "Black Wow".
cleaned the affected surface, which happened to be the entire front side of a side mirror on my F150-a black textured plastic surface, using a damp cloth and a mixture of 50/50 water, alcohol. This solution removes any dirt and oils.
Then I applied a small drop of the Black Wow and wiped it in with a clean dry cloth. It turned out so nice, that I ended up detailing my entire truck's trim, cowling, bumpers and all. Looks great and lasts a lot longer than armor all.

Also, some other options:
with video...http://www.ehow.com/video_4754383_remove-car-wax-off-plastic.html
peanut butter (let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe off)
Goo Gone
Liquid Dish Soap
Concentrated Liquid Car Washing Soap

I don't think that the peanut butter is actually removing the wax so much as the oils in the PB are darkening the wax. A toothbrush is an a effective tool with whatever option you choose to 'remove' the wax.

If you are feeling particularly adventurous and lazy, you could always try the peanut butter option.
Apply a generous amount of PB, then sit and relax while the dog licks it off. No mess, No Fuss. :lol:

Ok. I was washing and detailing the car this weekend and decided to try to get that wax off since it was not coming off on its own, apparently. I tried several things but in the end here is what I found works. I took a tooth-brush and wet it down with windex. Then I just brushed it. It actually came off fairly easily. I had tried the toothbrush by itself to no avail. but somebody told me once years ago not to ever use windex on your car's paint because it will strip the wax off. So I thought about it and decided to put that to the test. Well, turns out Windex really will eat away wax.

adric22 said:
Ok. I was washing and detailing the car this weekend and decided to try to get that wax off since it was not coming off on its own, apparently. I tried several things but in the end here is what I found works. I took a tooth-brush and wet it down with windex. Then I just brushed it. It actually came off fairly easily. I had tried the toothbrush by itself to no avail. but somebody told me once years ago not to ever use windex on your car's paint because it will strip the wax off. So I thought about it and decided to put that to the test. Well, turns out Windex really will eat away wax.

OUTSTANDING!!!
thank you for the follow-up!
I do not have this problem with my LEAF, however do have a similar issue on another car. I got bug-tar remover overspray on the the black plastic mirrors around my F150 and it caused a bad hazing/discoloration. I will try the method you mentioned and see if it works better than my previous attempts. I have to say that since I got my LEAF, the truck has just been sitting in the garage without much attention, so it is long overdue a good detailing.

CONGRATs on the solution and thanks again for posting the solution!

Excellent!

Back