Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't scream down the highway at 90mph, I go around 65mph in a 70 to avoid being smashed. Everywhere I commute is major highways and 60 or 70mph zones.

The range on these cars are so conditional that it was completely misrepresented.

Dallas is huge I cannot just putter down a service road stopping at every red light to save range unfortunately

I wish they would have someone like you at every dealership to truly say what it is like to own a Leaf. I would have never purchased it. It just isn't compatible with a highway commuter in Texas.

Thank you for all the help

you guys see the new battery policy, similar to Europe. you can buy it, they take your battery back and give you a fresh new one and you pay them 100 a month, and they will replace it when you loose 3 bars with one back at 12.... even with my electricity cost id still be saving over 100 a month with that program lol :)

exdeath said:
I don't scream down the highway at 90mph, I go around 65mph in a 70 to avoid being smashed. Everywhere I commute is major highways and 60 or 70mph zones.

The range on these cars are so conditional that it was completely misrepresented.

Dallas is huge I cannot just putter down a service road stopping at every red light to save range unfortunately

I wish they would have someone like you at every dealership to truly say what it is like to own a Leaf. I would have never purchased it. It just isn't compatible with a highway commuter in Texas.

Another note -- with a 2011 at 10 bars and your current driving patterns, you may lose another bar this summer. I have a 2011 and a 55 mile commute -- basically South Arlington to Carrollton, using I-30 and 161. As of May, I'm down to 9 bars but I can still make the drive and keep up with traffic. At some point, I'm going to have to start charging to make it home. I'm lucking there are several Blink stations on my way to and from work.

Any chance you could take this back under a "buyers remorse" law? Do we have that in Texas?

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

exdeath said:

Seriously, come over to the DFW section of the forum. There's a lot of people over there who have to do the highway driving thing (I don't have to since I work from home), who have also lost battery capacity, and who could probably give you a lot of information about how to handle the local issues you are having to deal with. I wasn't trying to be snippy about your driving, I was trying to demonstrate how the GOM can be affected by different driving styles. It was merely an example of how it can be overly pessimistic about range based on yesterday's performance. I understand you're upset and you feel like you've been misled. I think we have a full 7 days in Texas to change our minds about our purchase, some sort of "buyer's regret" clause in the sales contract. That might be something to consider (quickly) if you feel like the car won't meet your needs.

dvlax40 said:
you guys see the new battery policy, similar to Europe. you can buy it, they take your battery back and give you a fresh new one and you pay them 100 a month, and they will replace it when you loose 3 bars with one back at 12.... even with my electricity cost id still be saving over 100 a month with that program lol :)

I'd only save about $35 over gas (@ $3.75 a gallon). And if I didn't produce my own electricity it'd be a wash at best.

I understand you weren't being snippy, I am just frustrated.

None of these conditions and battery life issues were brought up except for "I might see a minor change in battery life"

I am just sick to my stomach on how unrealistic the car is.

I do not have a charge station near my office. I go to work, I come home.. I can charge at home that is about it.

I do not go to lunch to take my car somewhere for an hour and charge to top it off some.

This car requires you to live on its terms it seems. A car is for me to use not for it to use me I guess it how I sum it up.

If this had all been communicated I would have said thank you, and left with my 2012 Scion and went on with life.

Now I am stuck in this car. I just feel so incredibly duped.

Take the car back to the dealer today and tell them that you want a new LEAF on a 24 month lease.

If they say no, then tell them your next stop is seeing a lawyer.

exdeath said:

None of these conditions and battery life issues were brought up except for "I might see a minor change in battery life"

I do not have a charge station near my office. I go to work, I come home.. I can charge at home that is about it.

I do not go to lunch to take my car somewhere for an hour and charge to top it off some.

This car requires you to live on its terms it seems. A car is for me to use not for it to use me I guess it how I sum it up.

If this had all been communicated I would have said thank you, and left with my 2012 Scion and went on with life.

+1
Get out while you can.

KJD said:
Take the car back to the dealer today and tell them that you want a new LEAF on a 24 month lease.

exdeath said:

I don't think we have buyer remorse laws, but I am in contact with the dealership owner.

They are planning on diagnosing the car, and are giving me a new car to drive while they try to determine the issue.

I think the issue is just the heat of Texas and the car itself running on highways but I will see what they say.

mwalsh said:
dvlax40 said:

I'd only save about $35 over gas (@ $3.75 a gallon). And if I didn't produce my own electricity it'd be a wash at best.

well the hope would be that when economies of scale kick in (100K leafs on the road) the price drops to 50 a month :)

at least its a start, they could have said tough crud buy a 15K battery :/

There is sort of a "gray" area about this. You MIGHT have 3 days to change your mind, but see the Lemon Law info and the quoted text below:

http://txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ehow.com/info_7879131_texas-remorse-law-used-cars.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"From an online gov site for Texas:

Generally, the 3-day cooling off period applies to contracts signed in the customer's home - not at a company's place of business - for consumer goods worth $25 or more. If this cancellation period applies, it should be stated in the contract. To cancel a contract under this provision, mail a written notice of cancellation by midnight of the third business day after the sale. The written notice does not have to be received by the seller within three business days, but must be postmarked within that time. While a customer may choose to call or fax the seller to notify them of the cancellation, the phone call or fax does not cancel the contract - only the written notice does. The customer does not have to give the company a reason for the cancellation. The seller must refund any deposit or down payment within the time stated by law. While neither the Texas Attorney General's office nor the Federal Trade Commission can provide individual legal advice, both offices offer consumer publications with tips on contracts. Contact the Office of the Attorney General for its publication "Door to Door Sales" at http://www.oag.state.tx.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, or call 1-800-252-8011. Contact the Federal Trade Commission for Facts for Consumers on the "Cooling Off Rule" at Federal Trade Commission.
Basically, it doesn't apply. However, many dealers elect to put in cancellation clauses. This varies by the dealer, and they don't have to do it."

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/which-states-have-a-cooling-off-return-period-on-new-cars.103928/#ixzz2WrrpJqAS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exdeath said:
I don't think we have buyer remorse laws, but I am in contact with the dealership owner.

They are planning on diagnosing the car, and are giving me a new car to drive while they try to determine the issue.

I think the issue is just the heat of Texas and the car itself running on highways but I will see what they say.

They know exactly what the problem is. The car has lost 2 capacity bars and it is capacity you won't ever get back no matter how many machines they plug into it to "determine the issue". But the fact that they didn't disclose the 2 capacity bar loss (they didn't, did they?) might make it eligible for a Lemon Law return.

TonyWilliams said:
nogajim said:
... I was at 55.62 Ahr on the Battery App.

Woo hoo! Great data, keep it coming guys, before and after the firmware update.

Early returns are in. Capacity is now 59.75 Ahr (90% vs 83% yesterday). No sign of the 12th bar yet.

vrwl said:
I'm very close to losing my first bar. I should probably go get that update done now, before I lose the bar and maybe I can avoid the bar loss this summer.
We're in the Twilight Zone either way.

KJD said:

+1! If they didn't tell you that it had a two bar loss of capacity, then you have all the rights to return it and do a 2013 lease. They have no right to sell a two-bar loss LEAF without explicitly explaining the meaning and what range to expect. Since you're in Texas, it makes no sense to buy with your heat so take it back and lease a new one.

[/quote]

exdeath said:

sorry you got a LEAF with such a degraded range. If you cant get something from the dealer, i would

** slow down. the thought of getting rear ended if you dont is ludicrous. No one gets rear ended driving 55, NO ONE. I have been doing it FOR YEARS

**drive it as much as you can. Your battery is still under warranty. get rid of that 9th bar and beat feet to the dealer and get it replaced. If I were you, i would start a dialogue with them as soon as you hit 9 bars.

You say you dont go anywhere for lunch? I would start taking lunches in the Service lobby (they have a charger) making sure you talk with the service advisor on how the battery warranty replacement process works.

Back