Certified used leaf program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charge

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085744_certified-used-nissan-leaf-program-details-out--but-only-in-japan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting article about Nissan's certified used Leaf program. Buy used, get 12 bar capacity!

charge said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085744_certified-used-nissan-leaf-program-details-out--but-only-in-japan

Interesting article about Nissan's certified used Leaf program. Buy used, get 12 bar capacity!

The program mentioned in the article is being launched only in Japan. It would be great to see that same program everywhere, but do keep in mind that the used car market in Japan is very different from the rest of the world. I haven't read about it for many years now, but historically most used cars were shipped to other Asian countries and sold there, a situation encouraged by tough emission control laws for older cars (and implicitly to also support Japanese car manufacturers).

The other thing to note is that in this program certified LEAFs have to have no more than 31k miles and no more than 4 years of use. In milder climates like Japan many of those LEAFs will still have 12 bars (albeit probably not far from losing the first bar) anyway, so special battery swaps may not be required. Indeed, as the article says only the best condition cars will be selected for the program it's likely any car with less than 12 bars will automatically be cross off of the certified list.

This part is simply silly since we all now know that the only way to insure a healthy Leaf battery is to move to Nome!

"To ensure the car retains its best available battery capacity after five years and 62,000 miles, Nissan will also give owners a battery advice sheet, detailing ways to maximize capacity and keep the battery healthy.

A "maintenance pro pack" will also be available, with extra diagnostic checks to keep an eye on the battery's condition."

I've been thinking about what Nissan is going to do with all the leased Leafs they will have on their hands and can't sell at retail. I'm thinking they will resell the nice ones with 12 bars, put in new packs and resell the low mileage cars with less than 12 bars in Japan, and then sell the rest elsewhere in Asia as city cars with 50-60 mile range. An 10-11 bar Leaf looks like a better deal when it's $18-20k and your commute is only 20 miles a day...

LeftieBiker said:
I've been thinking about what Nissan is going to do with all the leased Leafs they will have on their hands and can't sell at retail. I'm thinking they will resell the nice ones with 12 bars, put in new packs and resell the low mileage cars with less than 12 bars in Japan...

Do you mean US Leafs? That's not gonna work as they drive on the other side of the road in Japan.

Japan maybe not, but I understand there is a strong market for used North American market Leafs in Norway.

mwalsh said:
Can I "sell" my car to the dealer and then "buy" it back from him as a Certified Used Car?

Actually, Audi has such a program. Kind of an expensive way to get an extended warranty.

mwalsh said:
RonDawg said:
mwalsh said:
Can I "sell" my car to the dealer and then "buy" it back from him as a Certified Used Car?

Actually, Audi has such a program. Kind of an expensive way to get an extended warranty.

The idea is that I'd get a new battery pack. That's got to be worth it, right? Especially if I can't buy one.

There's also no guarantee that if Nissan USA were to offer CPO'd Leafs that they would not be sold under a "own the car but lease the battery" program only.

This program for a leased LEAF is not unexpected, and is routine for lease returns. A CPO car is refurbished to "like new" conditions which would include paint and body panel imperfection repair, replacement of excessively pitted or cracked glass, replacement of tires if they were worn beyond a specified limit, new brake pads and rotors if necessary, interior refurbishment, and making sure the drivetrain is within specifications. It is no surprise that the battery pack on a LEAF would be swapped out for one that conforms to "new" specifications even though it will most probably be refurbished. I would think that a CPO LEAF will be a good value in the used market. It will most certainly be a better value than a private party used LEAF.

Maybe, maybe not, when you consider the rebates and tax credits available on a new Leaf... It would depend entirely on how they priced it.

OrientExpress said:
I would think that a CPO LEAF will be a good value in the used market. It will most certainly be a better value than a private party used LEAF.

TomT said:
Maybe, maybe not, when you consider the rebates and tax credits available on a new Leaf... It would depend entirely on how they priced it.

OrientExpress said:
I would think that a CPO LEAF will be a good value in the used market. It will most certainly be a better value than a private party used LEAF.

If sales double the fed tax credit will last for only 3 more years on the Leaf. What next?

Nissan is going to have to come up with a way to lower the price by an equivalent amount or watch sales crater...

Valdemar said:
If sales double the fed tax credit will last for only 3 more years on the Leaf. What next?

TomT said:
Nissan is going to have to come up with a way to lower the price by an equivalent amount or watch sales crater...

Valdemar said:

The race to be the first EV manufacturer to sell 200,000 vehicles in the US will certainly be a biter sweet experience.

The phase out of the credits after 200,000 seems pretty complex.

The new qualified plug-in electric vehicle credit phases out for a PEV manufacturer over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles from that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States. For this purpose cumulative sales are accounted after December 31, 2009. Qualifying PEVs are eligible for 50% of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period, and 25% of the credit if bought in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period.

JPWhite said:
The phase out of the credits after 200,000 seems pretty complex.

The new qualified plug-in electric vehicle credit phases out for a PEV manufacturer over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles from that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States. For this purpose cumulative sales are accounted after December 31, 2009. Qualifying PEVs are eligible for 50% of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period, and 25% of the credit if bought in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period.

This means that after Nissan 200K mark:

The first quarter (3 months), Leaf buyers still get the $7,500.
The next two quarters (6 months), Leaf buyers get $3,750.
The next two quarters (6 months), Leaf buyers get $1,875.

In other words, there will be a run on Leafs in the first 3 months after the quater that Nissan hits the mark. That will be your last chance to get the full Fed tax credit. I remember when the Prius hit the hybrid credit limit, it was all over the Dallas Toyota Dealer's ads -- "Last Chance to Get Credit", etc., etc.

Back