ChargePoint ChargePass

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two pins (chargers). Had to zoom way in to see both;

Name: FASHION ISLAND / TOP LVL PS1 01
Address: Lahaina Galleries, Fashion Island Shopping Center: Newport Childrens Bootery, 1173 Newport Center Dr, Newport Beach, California, 92660-6950, United States
Status as of : 2011-02-16 10:01:29 (PST)
Port 1: 120V, 16A, NEMA 5-20R:Available
Port 2: 240V, 30A, J1772:In Use

OK finished my tour of ChargePoint stations in the area. @Gary, I am on an iPhone 4 and the App does show the location and status of the chargers. Yes you have to zoom in to see multiple chargers next to each other.

After FI I went over to South Coast Plaza. I feel so much better when I know exactly where stuff is! This visit did not go so well though. On first try the #1 station unlocked but did not start charging. Staying on the phone with ChargePoint they could not communicate with the first EVSE so asked me to move over to the #2 Clipper Creek. But this one had a totally different connector with a tag under it with some BMW boilerplate (MiniE???). ChargePoint was insisting that all the plugs were the same so I took a pic and sent it to them. Maybe if I had the ChargePass card in hand it would have worked. Not sure though. Checking the App i spotted a blue pin in the Center Tower West garage. Yeah! So I quickly zipped over to find a Plug-In Prius nursing on the #2 station. The parking attendants were very nice and let me go in and exit all three garages to see the charge stations and didn't charge me a penny. I visited all 5 ChargePoint station groups between Fashion Island and the South Coast Plaza area. I added each one carefully to the Nav system for a total of 7 L2's so far. I think I will wait for my card before going back though.

TRONZ said:
the #2 Clipper Creek. But this one had a totally different connector with a tag under it with some BMW boilerplate (MiniE???).
Yes. Clipper Creek at South Coast Plaza has a MINI E connector.

We are all looking forward to a J1772 world. Soon.

CC at SCP is definately a Mini-E connector. The CP should have both L1 & L2.... did you try the L1?
BTW how well does the navigation work under all that concrete?

And I believe another J connector is supposed to be installed soon in the Nordstrom structure.

KeiJidosha said:
TRONZ said:
the #2 Clipper Creek. But this one had a totally different connector with a tag under it with some BMW boilerplate (MiniE???).
Yes. Clipper Creek at South Coast Plaza has a MINI E connector

We are all looking forward to a J1772 world. Soon.

I just thought it was funny that the guy on the phone was insisting it was a J1772 :roll: It's all good. Seems to me LEAFs and Volts will be fighting over the #1 station though since it was the best L2 location for shopping at SCP.

sparky said:
nader said:
Do these Chargepoint locations show up on the Carwings map?
Only after you visit them.

What good is that if you don't know where they are? Suppose you need to charge, you could be one block away looking for a charge station and the car wont tell you where it is because you've not been there before?

Ya, using LEAFs to "fact check" stations is interesting and sounds like a crowd-source solution for Carwings charge station data. I'm fine with it though and am happy to help in some small way. Back in pioneer days, someone had to get over them there mountains first... and only a few people had to eat each other :shock: . So were doing OK all things considered.

Sorry almost forgot. The LEAF Nav was spot on throughout the parking structures. Much better than my iPhone's blue blinky dot wandering around on it's own :roll: . I did not request L1. Not sure if that would have helped since it was an over-all communication loss with the unit. They could not even unlock it on the second and third attempts. At the other stations I tried to only use the App but it gave me a communication error when I tried to begin a charging session. I am not going to be too hard on the App but if all the features worked it would be very, very slick.

photo%20%286%29.JPG

Fashion Island. My first Charge at a public station... and in the rain even!

photo%20%285%29.JPG

South Coast Plaza West (under Crate and Barrel). The Clipper Creek unit on the right has the plug for the Mini E only :cry: .

photo%20%283%29.JPG

OC Performing Arts Complex, Park Tower. Looks like they use cones to keep people from parking in the EV stalls. Must be a problem here.

photo%20%282%29.JPG

OC Performing Arts Complex, Plaza Tower. This would be the best back up location to SCP if their lone J1772 was being used.

Returned to South Coast Plaza to shop with my wife. Had no problems getting the EVSE to function today and our LEAF is happily charging away. Let the shopping begin!

Almost forgot about finding the three new ChargePoint stations in the center of South Coast Plaza. For some reason these stations do not show up on a lot of EV maps yet. They are located in the SW corner of the parking structure just east of Nordstrom's on the ground floor.

South%20Coast%20Plaza.JPG

Did DOE bet on the wrong horse? Somehow, Chargepoint is able to actually install J1772 chargers.

EV Project, ECOtality, Etec, well, we're still waiting for Charger Numero Uno.

I notice I don't see as many press releases from Chargepoint, though, so I guess their priorities are all messed up. :twisted:

GroundLoop said:
Did DOE bet on the wrong horse? Somehow, Chargepoint is able to actually install J1772 chargers.

EV Project, ECOtality, Etec, well, we're still waiting for Charger Numero Uno.

I notice I don't see as many press releases from Chargepoint, though, so I guess their priorities are all messed up. :twisted:
ETec probably knew how to work the wheels of the government better ...

GroundLoop said:
Someone speculated EV Project may be delaying on purpose because Nissan has only shipped 100 cars so far. Those photos of the (privately owned) unused Chargepoint stations look great to me because unused is exactly the sort of station I'd want to find.

But since EV Project has government funding they may take extra pains to avoid unused charging stations. Else they might have mobs of picketers and Fox News vans circling the facilities on the evening news every night, with commentators intoning weighty pronouncements about the utter failure of electric vehicles.

I don't know they're delaying on purpose, but it is a possible explanation.

TRONZ said:
Almost forgot about finding the three new ChargePoint stations in the center of South Coast Plaza. For some reason these stations do not show up on a lot of EV maps yet. They are located in the SW corner of the parking structure just east of Nordstrom's on the ground floor.
Seems like it takes some time for them to show up on the map. The Nordstrom-North Parking Chargepoints were supposed to be in before 12/31/10 but may have been delayed a bit. They should be on the map shortly.

TRONZ said:

South%20Coast%20Plaza.JPG
As of today these show on the chargepoint map :)

Back