Charging at home - question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmk81

For the time being, we are in a rental home that has a two car garage. However, half of the garage is currently being used for storage. My wife drives the kids around in our CX-9, and she wants to park that vehicle in the garage.

I will eventually be buying a 240 volt charging unit to install in our garage.

My question, for the time being, it looks like I might be needing to use an extension cord. I have a very nice heavy duty extension cord that is grounded. I'm thinking about parking the EV outside and leading the extension cord out to charge it. For now prior to having a 240 volt charger installed, I will be using a standard outlet and the extension cord.

How long are the cords typically on the 240 volt charging units? Would it be ok to lead it outside the same as an extension cord for a standard outlet (if it reaches)?

if you NEED to use an extension cord, make it is 12 gauge or better even 10 gauge wire, and best to have an electrician check the outlet you intend to use (or check it yourself if your are electrically inclined) to verify the wiring is capable of handling 15 amps.

How long are the cords typically on the 240 volt charging units? Would it be ok to lead it outside the same as an extension cord for a standard outlet (if it reaches)?

Did you mean "leave it outside"? Yes, the cable and plug should be outdoor-rated. You can buy a wall-mount holder for the plug for about $25. Just don't pinch the cable in the garage door! I used two lengths of 2x4, under the door, on their wider sides, with a gap between them, for the cord to pass through.

For a long time when we first got the LEAF, and even now occasionally after putting in a 240V EVSE, I would use the 120V charger with the LEAF parked outside (where it was cooler in a futile attempt to save the batteries). I never needed an extension cord though, as it has a long reach which I would feed under the garage door, then close until just almost touching the charge cord. I wouldn't really want to plug the 120V charger in using an extension cord where it was plugged outside the garage, as I figured somebody could then just take it. And there were enough outlets inside the garage that I could plug in close enough to where the LEAF was parked, or even back the LEAF in to be closer to an outlet.

I have 2 10 gauge extension cords with L6-30 connectors. One is 10 feet and the other is 20 feet. From my wall the ten foot one works fine. In a pinch I could hook the two together for 30 feet. I built them myself with TRW swap meet surplus parts. The 600V cable shows up occasionally and the plugs are always there. I think I am into them for under twenty dollars.

Amazon is a good source for parts. If you are rich and money is no object then Home Depot stocks the parts for big bucks but instant gratification.

Back