Check out my interview on NPR locally regarding EVs/Leaf!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaka

The full story can be seen/heard here:
http://www.wksu.org/news/story/34306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highlights:
- if you listen to the audio clip, my 5yr old daughter opens up with some cuteness
- you can read the entire story transcript if you're not one for audio listening
- they plan to install some more public charge stations in our area soon

Two weeks ago I had replied on the local NPR/WKSU web site to an EV article that was published a few months ago. My post caught the attention of the author of the article above. He was already working to write the article about the EVSE stations forthcoming by the local power company. He wanted my family to add to the local flavor and intimacy of the matters.

Hope everyone enjoys!

Great broadcast! One thing struck me as funny though, the guy from Edmunds.com who said we didn't need public charging and then sort of contradicted himself with his statement (bolding is mine):

“They’re gonna have a home charger and know the limits of the vehicle. And they’re gonna buy it, because it fits their driving style. And they’re not gonna need public charging. I live in Southern California. There are a lot of electric vehicles. Several of the shopping centers my wife likes to go to on weekends have EV chargers. Nowadays, almost every time we go unless we get up really early, somebody else is plugged in. And with only one plug or two plugs available, if there’s three cars, then somebody’s left out.”

Agree with what you said about his contradicting comments. In places where charging stations are "semi" common like California, a buyer might easily factor that into their ability to buy an EV (specifically, a Leaf that is all-EV). For us in the Midwest, where the only charging stations typically are at Nissan dealers and random other places (universities, etc) -- the charging will be 99% performed at home. Hence I agree with him that MOST buyers, at least right now, will tend to utilize their home charging.

However, there are places on the outskirts of town that I would love to frequent, like certain shopping centers, that would be helpful (or almost necessary) to have at least 240v Normal EVSE for me to go there in the Leaf. We luckily live close to the center of the city here, making travel to virtually anywhere on a full charge easy. But on those evenings where you might not have a full charge, I really do hope metro Cleveland, Ohio sees an adoption of more charging stations. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Back