Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings Bolt1

I started driving in ECO mode exclusively the last couple of days. The only time I went into normal "D" mode, was when I needed a bit more heat (ECO mode limits heat output) and that was just for a brief period.

I am not sure if it is purely psychological (as the GOM is always more optimistic in ECO), but it seems that this make a big difference indeed. The weather was warmer as well, so my observations may be skewed.

Bolt1 said:
Anyone put their Leaf through a car wash yet? I did read the posts about making sure you know how to put it in neutral first, but wondering if it's a good idea to try to explain that to the Turtle Wax crew or not....

I put mine through a car wash Saturday. Though, it didn't have a conveyor. I took my antenna off first though.

Had a good driving day today! :)

I am in training in Hoffman Estates for the week (58 mile round trip - over half on I-90).
I hadn't really scouted the area for destination charging (there is a Nissan 2 miles from training, but that would be inconvenient).
I figured I could always find an emergency charge at a Walgreens or something on the way back into town if I ran short.

It started out at 32f this morning. I drove in ECO with seat/steering wheel heaters, and popping defrost when needed. Return trip was at 40f, same process.

I ended up at home with 18 miles left on the GOM! I now feel much more confident about the commute for rest of the week.

Assuming the GOM is accurate with remain miles, that would be a 76 mile range in 32-40f weather, with partly interstate (granted rush hour jams were involved).

bigtlb said:
Had a good driving day today! :)

I am in training in Hoffman Estates for the week (58 mile round trip - over half on I-90).
I hadn't really scouted the area for destination charging (there is a Nissan 2 miles from training, but that would be inconvenient).
I figured I could always find an emergency charge at a Walgreens or something on the way back into town if I ran short.

It started out at 32f this morning. I drove in ECO with seat/steering wheel heaters, and popping defrost when needed. Return trip was at 40f, same process.

I ended up at home with 18 miles left on the GOM! I now feel much more confident about the commute for rest of the week.

Assuming the GOM is accurate with remain miles, that would be a 76 mile range in 32-40f weather, with partly interstate (granted rush hour jams were involved).

1) So that's 29 miles (each way) without the main heater? Were you cold? Comfortable?
2) What speeds were you traveling at on the I-90?

It would be interesting to see how your range does with slight heater usage (enough to be comfortable)...

bwallach said:
1) So that's 29 miles (each way) without the main heater? Were you cold? Comfortable?
2) What speeds were you traveling at on the I-90?

It would be interesting to see how your range does with slight heater usage (enough to be comfortable)...

1.) 32f was pretty chilly. :) I left my jacket on. But the seat/steering wheel heaters made it bearable. 40f wasn't bad at all, and didn't need the jacket (still used the seat/steering wheel heaters).
2.) I would say at least 30 miles of the trip was at 62mph (I set cruise control to that). The rest was city driving and interstate congestion.

This morning it was 24deg and I kept the heat on at 65deg. The climate control meter was hanging out about between 1.5 and 4. So if it was using 3kW for my 40 minute commute that would be 2kWh or 6 miles of range at 3mi/kwh. On the way home it was warm and I only used the seat heater. With an 80% charge and a 38mi trip I got home with 14mi on the GOM . So that’s 58 mi.total, the dashboard said 3.4 mi/kWh that matches the range chart.

I didn’t reset the dash mi/kwh meter on this trip. Does anyone know if the dash mi/kwh meter is for the motor only or if it includes all the power including heat and accessories? I think I'll have to test this.

Correction, the cc meter was between 1.5 an 3(not 4,) it was about 2.25 or about 4.5 mi of range. This morning it was a little warmer, I used the "foot & defrost" method and the cc meter was hanging out around 2.

Dino said:
This morning it was 24deg and I kept the heat on at 65deg. The climate control meter was hanging out about between 1.5 and 4. So if it was using 3kW for my 40 minute commute that would be 2kWh or 6 miles of range at 3mi/kwh. On the way home it was warm and I only used the seat heater. With an 80% charge and a 38mi trip I got home with 14mi on the GOM . So that’s 58 mi.total, the dashboard said 3.4 mi/kWh that matches the range chart.

I didn’t reset the dash mi/kwh meter on this trip. Does anyone know if the dash mi/kwh meter is for the motor only or if it includes all the power including heat and accessories? I think I'll have to test this.

Correction, the cc meter was between 1.5 an 3(not 4,) it was about 2.25 or about 4.5 mi of range. This morning it was a little warmer, I used the "foot & defrost" method and the cc meter was hanging out around 2.

I am also trying to get away with an 80% charge for my commute. Mine is about 50 miles roundtrip and so far I have only used radiant heat while driving. I average ~4 miles/kWh, so the commute should require only 12.5 kWh. I am experimenting with preheating in the morning, but I haven't yet driven enough trips to get a sense whether I will be able to stick with 80% when it gets really cold.

lukati said:
I am also trying to get away with an 80% charge for my commute. Mine is about 50 miles roundtrip and so far I have only used radiant heat while driving. I average ~4 miles/kWh, so the commute should require only 12.5 kWh. I am experimenting with preheating in the morning, but I haven't yet driven enough trips to get a sense whether I will be able to stick with 80% when it gets really cold.
Looks like you will have to watch the weather closely and charge to 100 when there might be a snow delay/reroute.

We can make a good guess at range reduction because of the climate control. But I don’t know about reduced battery capacity from cold weather. In the range chart they say 1% reduction for every 2degF below 70. That seems a little high for climate control alone so maybe they calculated 1%/2degF with both in mind.

We need more cold weather....wait, what the heck am I saying!

I happened to be down by UIC yesterday, pulled into a random parking lot and happily found a couple of Chargepoint L2 chargers. It's nice to see them when you aren't even expecting them. Even better, another L3 quickcharger was installed next to them. The guys working in the parking garage said the L3 charger was up and running, but of course, without a Charjit card, there is no way to get it to operate. It appears that 350green has a number of these units up and ready to go, but don't have the infrastructure ready yet for consumers.

The exact address was 709 W. Maxwell St., FYI.

Dino said:
We can make a good guess at range reduction because of the climate control. But I don’t know about reduced battery capacity from cold weather. In the range chart they say 1% reduction for every 2degF below 70. That seems a little high for climate control alone so maybe they calculated 1%/2degF with both in mind.
opps my bad, climate control is listed separately on the range chart.

Hey, I've just picked up mine. 550 miles. Black in the North Shore. Home charger in garage. Enjoying it so far. Look forward to other Chicago area Leafs. Yes Bwallach that was me you saw on Central Ave. New to the forum but glad to be here. I actually got a discount off the MSRP. If anyones interested I'll be happy to share the dealership. Drove from Highland park to Chicago yesterday. Took the slow way first and the expressway back. All in Eco mode. No heat used just seats and steering wheel. Got 16% better battery retention going 30-35 than 55-60 coming back quick. Still had 28 miles left to the charge when I returned.

mbf said:
Hey, I've just picked up mine. 550 miles. Black in the North Shore. Home charger in garage. Enjoying it so far. Look forward to other Chicago area Leafs. Yes Bwallach that was me you saw on Central Ave. New to the forum but glad to be here. I actually got a discount off the MSRP. If anyones interested I'll be happy to share the dealership. Drove from Highland park to Chicago yesterday. Took the slow way first and the expressway back. All in Eco mode. No heat used just seats and steering wheel. Got 16% better battery retention going 30-35 than 55-60 coming back quick. Still had 28 miles left to the charge when I returned.
Welcome mbf ! Good to have you with us.

Looks like strong winds along with the snow for the afternoon commute tomorrow. At the risk of sounding like a chicken I'm going to take my ICE car tomorrow. It always looks so lonely as I close the garage when I leave in the morning :lol: and I need to make an extra trip.

mbf said:

Wow, small world. Discount? You'll have to share that trick with the rest. Sounds like you are in HP so I am sure I'll be seeing you around. Have you tried the charger at Walgreens yet?

I have to be downtown tomorrow, but not taking the LEAF. Supposed to be a cold/snowy day.

I have been in training this week in Hoffman estates. My 58 mile round trip has been leaving a steady 18-22 miles remaining on the GOM (@ 100% charge).

So, I figure I will risk the bad weather tomorrow and see how much of a difference it makes.

Wish me luck!

bigtlb said:
So, I figure I will risk the bad weather tomorrow and see how much of a difference it makes.

Wish me luck!

Going boldly into the bad weather, too. We should be fine. Good luck!

Haven't tried the Walgreens charger as I have a 220/240 Nissan charger in the garage. I am looking forward to the level 3 at the Whole Foods near the Petersen Exit off the Edens. I've sent a question regarding the CharJit card to the president of 350 inquiring how to get a card or do whatever needs be done to make it of use. Initially it was written to me that it was free. So I'm glad I didn't rely to use the operational one at UIC had I needed it. I'm going to give it a trial run in the snow and see how it goes over the next day or so. i've read to not use the ECO mode.

Not quite sure I'm replying the correct way, so hoping this works.

My commute is between Oak Lawn and Bolingbrook. Note the lack of charging stations in my area. The only one that shows up is Argonne Lab and it’s not open to the public. How stupid is it that, the DOE , which was created to reduce our dependency on foreign and says that electric cars are a good start , doesn’t have a public charger.

Hi folks,

1222 miles and counting. Thinking of a trip into the city Monday. Found many parking garages with Chargepoint Level 2 equipment. Has anyone used them?

My open questions (given it's 64 miles one way....)

1) Can't reserve - what's chances of both being in use all day? Backup plan is other garages w/chargers further from site of event we are attending
2) I believe I can call Chargepoint's # and they'll let me charge. Have an account but no cards or fobs yet in my possession.
3) Do they give a break on parking rate - or a premium - if you use an electric charging spot?
4) What's chances of an ICE being in an electric charger spot and will they make them move?

Sorry if these have been addressed elsewhere. Don't have time to look through all the posts...

Dino said:
My commute is between Oak Lawn and Bolingbrook. Note the lack of charging stations in my area. The only one that shows up is Argonne Lab and it’s not open to the public. How stupid is it that, the DOE , which was created to reduce our dependency on foreign and says that electric cars are a good start , doesn’t have a public charger.
BTW, A few weeks ago I called Argonne, Nissan and Blink (their phone is listed on the Carwings map for that station) about this and yet it is still displayed as public charging ?!?. It makes me wonder who put it on the map, and why they don’t take it off?

Might need some (legal) help here.

So I installed my new Wattstation outside my house. Unfortunately my local home owners association has taken notice. Recently I noticed various people making alterations to their house without any response from the home owners associations but when you are trying to be green I guess that is a bigger offense. I had not involved them because they have a tendency to say no to everything so a big black box on a wall was never going to fly. I placed the installation behind where I usually park my car hoping that nobody would really care as they had will all the other changes people were making.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Do I need a lawyer?

Very sad.

Back