Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tech01 -- check your PM for IL SOS contact on 'EL' plates ... doubt that a local SOS office knows much about these

tech01 said:
SOS office just down the road from me. I'll stop and see if anyone there knows about the renewal fee. Is the $130 for 2yrs? Dirty silver lately. We've been charging to 100% doing 55-65mi. daily during this weather. Parked in the garage @ about 40 degrees. Preheating but running the heat in the morning showing 3.5 kw usage. Carry a 50' ext cord in case juice is avaialable but slightly out of reach. We're half def but cranking the stereo doesn't seem to reduce range!

Yes, 130 covers 2 years

Tardis said:
tech01 said:
SOS office just down the road from me. I'll stop and see if anyone there knows about the renewal fee. Is the $130 for 2yrs? Dirty silver lately. We've been charging to 100% doing 55-65mi. daily during this weather. Parked in the garage @ about 40 degrees. Preheating but running the heat in the morning showing 3.5 kw usage. Carry a 50' ext cord in case juice is avaialable but slightly out of reach. We're half def but cranking the stereo doesn't seem to reduce range!

Yes, 130 covers 2 years

I'll wait to see mine to see exactly how its worded but this is still on the IL SOS site, look over at 2-year registration fees for electric vehicles ... unless this changed from 2010 already

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/vsd522.pdf

The Illinois Vehicle Code states that the registration fee for an electric vehicle cannot exceed $18 per year. So unless the Illinois Legislator changes the law, we should be fine.

On another hopefully more humorous note to 'dutchinchicago' --- look what came in my mail yesterday ... obviously a mass marketing effort but I've only had my LEAF for less than a month!

Perhaps they might be more interested in yours than the other dealer you tried; lastly they really do need to check these things as you'll get a FREE oil change with an appraisal!

New%20LEAF2.jpg

Just to report a little incident that happened yesterday. I drove up to the Walgreens on Willow Road in Northfield and tried to charge with the left EVSE. I unlooked it with my card, but could not pry loose the handle. Luckily the other charger worked. I am thinking the handle may have been frozen stuck, so I might carry some hand warmers (the little bags of chemicals that heat up when you initiate the reaction) in the future. Walgreens sells them. Maybe a little payback for letting me use their EVSEs for free. :)

YashuV said:
Im confused RedLeaf are you trying to sell your Nissan Leaf?

YashuV you need to catch up (although there have been a lot of posts lately); 'dutch' is considering selling his as its his only car and he's come too close with the more limited range during winter, so much so that he went to a Nissan dealer to see what they would give him (only $19K !) --- I myself am quite happy with my LEAF but thought it coincidental and a bit humorous to get the letter that I posted. I knew the cold/snow etc. would limit the range but we have other vehicles (ICE not EV's) to use so I'm not in the same predicament that 'dutch' finds himself in ...

Just to report a little incident that happened yesterday. I drove up to the Walgreens on Willow Road in Northfield and tried to charge with the left EVSE. I unlooked it with my card, but could not pry loose the handle. Luckily the other charger worked. I am thinking the handle may have been frozen stuck, so I might carry some hand warmers (the little bags of chemicals that heat up when you initiate the reaction) in the future. Walgreens sells them. Maybe a little payback for letting me use their EVSEs for free.

This happened to me at another Wallgreens. I thought it was frozen and eventually got it out. It turned out that it was actually the release button that was broken which I found out when I tried to remove the plug from my car. Luckely this type of connector did not cover the hook with a sleeve and I was able to use my keys to pry the hook off and release my car.

Stopped by SOS IL. EV's are new unexplored territory. However $130 is from new registration $95 and EV plates $30 = $130. They don't print renewal prices on those forms. Cash strapped Il. will likely do revenue enhancement on us but we're good till 2014. Saw redleaf's oil change special, the leaf should get the gear oil changed at 30k mi. maybe he could use it for that. ;)

I spoke to Hal at McGrath Nissan but he was not able to make an offer at this point.

No second hand market in Illinois at the moment.

Forgot to ask about my oil change.

It looks like I am stuck with the car and that is probably a good thing. Nobody said that it was easy to be green and living with range anxiety is a lot less work than driving a rubber inflatable in front of a harpoon vessel in the antartics.

I probably will get used to this.

lukati said:
Just to report a little incident that happened yesterday. I drove up to the Walgreens on Willow Road in Northfield and tried to charge with the left EVSE. I unlooked it with my card, but could not pry loose the handle. Luckily the other charger worked. I am thinking the handle may have been frozen stuck, so I might carry some hand warmers (the little bags of chemicals that heat up when you initiate the reaction) in the future. Walgreens sells them. Maybe a little payback for letting me use their EVSEs for free. :)

I had a similar incident but in the other direction today. I arrived at work and tried to plug the charger into my car. The charging handle wouldn't latch onto my car's plug, so it wouldn't start charging. It seems that while I was driving some moisture had puddled above the plug and frozen, blocking the notch the latch goes into. I couldn't quite work a key in to scrap it off.

I got some deicing spray, and used that. Dabbed up the residue with a paper towel, pushed the plug on, and it started charging immediately.

:D I guess I will be keeping a bottle on hand during the winter.

bigtlb said:
lukati said:

I had a similar incident but in the other direction today. I arrived at work and tried to plug the charger into my car. The charging handle wouldn't latch onto my car's plug, so it wouldn't start charging. It seems that while I was driving some moisture had puddled above the plug and frozen, blocking the notch the latch goes into. I couldn't quite work a key in to scrap it off.

I got some deicing spray, and used that. Dabbed up the residue with a paper towel, pushed the plug on, and it started charging immediately.

:D I guess I will be keeping a bottle on hand during the winter.

We will just have to come up with a Leaf Survival Kit :)
1) Deicing spray
2) Roll of paper towel
3) Chemical heating pads
4) Regular snow brush and ice scraper

what else?

Dutch I think by next winter there will be a lot of charging stations, especially the 30minute ones :) I bet you can make thru this winter somehow.

I haven't been on here in a while but just thought I would chime in with an update.

I got my plates last night and I got #296. I also had my fingers crossed hoping that I would get #300 but no such luck. I was also surprised to see that the plates were very plain looking. I thought they would look like some of the fancy specialized plates that people have like the environmental and sports team plates.

So far, things have been going great with the car. I only drive about 100 or so miles in a week so the car is perfect for me. We have made some extended weekend trips including one to Lombard last weekend which was about 50 miles R/T. We decided to take the back roads through Wheaton rather than go on the highway. It was 25deg that day and we only ran the heat to defog the windows occasionally. It did get a bit chilly by the end of the ride but we still had 19 miles of range left.

Otherwise, things have gone great. This is not our primary car but we make a lot of local trips and the Leaf is a champ for this type of driving. I am looking forward to warmer days as this past week has forced me to run the heater more often and the range has suffered quite a bit as a result.

prolix74 said:
I haven't been on here in a while but just thought I would chime in with an update.

I got my plates last night and I got #296. I also had my fingers crossed hoping that I would get #300 but no such luck. I was also surprised to see that the plates were very plain looking. I thought they would look like some of the fancy specialized plates that people have like the environmental and sports team plates.

So far, things have been going great with the car. I only drive about 100 or so miles in a week so the car is perfect for me. We have made some extended weekend trips including one to Lombard last weekend which was about 50 miles R/T. We decided to take the back roads through Wheaton rather than go on the highway. It was 25deg that day and we only ran the heat to defog the windows occasionally. It did get a bit chilly by the end of the ride but we still had 19 miles of range left.

Otherwise, things have gone great. This is not our primary car but we make a lot of local trips and the Leaf is a champ for this type of driving. I am looking forward to warmer days as this past week has forced me to run the heater more often and the range has suffered quite a bit as a result.

Good to hear from you; looks like I'm still in luck ... no new plates today so maybe I'll get #300, I picked up my car the day before Christmas weekend (12/23) so not sure what actual day the dealer submitted my paperwork. The 'EL' series has been around for awhile but as you can tell from the low number count hasn't been issued much; about the only thing that changed over the years is going from the 'Illinois' at the top from block letters to script; but hey they are priced right! It's too bad 'EV' wasn't available but it looks like that was reserved for 'exempt vehicles' already. Our mileage is about 700 with lots of mixed driving, only one day did the 'low battery' warning show up but we drove around a bit to see what the experience would be so it wouldn't freak the wife out ... like the GPS voice very subtle and at least not irritating, like you also, the LEAF isn't our only car but the more we use it the more we like it.

I just added my J1772 EVSE to PlugShare.com?

I figured it was the neighborly thing to do. Although, I am not in an especially "sparse" EVSE coverage area.

Got my plates in the mail today '290 EL' over 50 days after taking possession of the car.

Sore Spot: Living downtown, I needed to get a City of Chicago vehicle sticker which is required within 30 days of purchase. Picked those up the 1st week in January after paying a fine of $60 (they don't care if the State has not sent you the plates) and the sticker was based on my temporary plates. Now, i have to trek back to city hall to get a new sticker with the updated license plates. Nothing like bureaucracy working to stick it to you!

On a positive note: The heater works only when you are in the 'D' mode vs 'Eco' mode - knew about that but after driving in 'D' mode and warming up the car, i switched to 'Eco' mode, gained back the additional 21 miles in range and the car continued to generate interior heat for over an hours commute. Maybe there was some latency in the system but its not too shabby.

Sore Spot: After battling with my condominium association, i have a 220 V outlet for an L2 charger but only after installing an additional sub-meter to account for the electricity usage. This definitely irritated me since i pointed out to them that the metering cost far exceeded the cost of power that i was likely to use. Spent almost $1,500 to get the meters installed but my monthly power consumption right now is around $25. (offered them $35 a month but some condo board members had little faith in the rated power consumption of the car). The medicine was worse than the disease.

Tonight the temperature display read 1F with 3 bars showing on the temperature gauge. First time this has happened. Other than a slight whining noise at the beginning, the car performed great.

lukati said:
Tonight the temperature display read 1F with 3 bars showing on the temperature gauge. First time this has happened. Other than a slight whining noise at the beginning, the car performed great.
I must admit I’ve been driving my ICE mostly to keep the salt/slush off of the LEAF. I just had it out for a couple hours and when I got back it read 5F but still had four temp bars. I also hear a whining for a few miles when it’s cold.

Driving with the heat on and driving faster than I would with my ICE (I can’t help myself) seems to net under 2mi/kWh wall to wheel. Of course that includes preheating, something that my growling moaning ICE won't do.

Back