Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lukati said:
Tonight the temperature display read 1F with 3 bars showing on the temperature gauge. First time this has happened. Other than a slight whining noise at the beginning, the car performed great.

That's nothing. I regularly see three bars and last night when I got off the train, I had just 2 bars and the temperature was 2 degrees outside! We are remodeling our bathroom so I drew the short straw and I had to park my car outside last night. When I got in this morning, I only had 1 bar! I preheated the car both last night and this morning so that doesn't seem to affect the battery temperature too much. In any case, I never had any problems with the car or received any battery warnings.

Speaking of cold weather, has anyone had problems with the washer fluid nozzles? They constantly freeze up and the pressure coming out of them is not that great. The fluid barely reaches half way up the window and the wipers barely clean the windows as a result. I am thinking of carrying a needle or something similar so I can clear the lines!

prolix74 said:
Speaking of cold weather, has anyone had problems with the washer fluid nozzles? They constantly freeze up and the pressure coming out of them is not that great. The fluid barely reaches half way up the window and the wipers barely clean the windows as a result. I am thinking of carrying a needle or something similar so I can clear the lines!

Happened to me as well. The system is pretty wimpy; the fluid comes up to about a third on the windshield in my case. And when we had the previous snow, it just stopped working. Maybe another use for the deicing spray in the emergency kit.

prolix74 said:
lukati said:
Tonight the temperature display read 1F with 3 bars showing on the temperature gauge. First time this has happened. Other than a slight whining noise at the beginning, the car performed great.

That's nothing. I regularly see three bars and last night when I got off the train, I had just 2 bars and the temperature was 2 degrees outside! We are remodeling our bathroom so I drew the short straw and I had to park my car outside last night. When I got in this morning, I only had 1 bar! I preheated the car both last night and this morning so that doesn't seem to affect the battery temperature too much. In any case, I never had any problems with the car or received any battery warnings.

My Leaf sleeps in an unheated garage, but I still had 4 bars on battery temp this morning after preheating for a bit. Even with temps around 10 degrees this morning I managed to keep my efficiency up above 4 m/kwh (my usual of ECO, no Climate Control). We'll see how it manages in the snow this afternoon.

I have noticed the low pressure on the fluid nozzles, but I'm not sure it is from freezing. My wipers seem to reach down low enough to swipe the fluid over the whole windshield and clean it just fine. Might be designed that way, but if it isn't cleaning your windshield well, not a great design.

One of the harder drives home I have had in quite a while.

From Lake Forest (almost 30 miles from home), I decided to leave early to beat the snow and the rush hour. Left at 2pm, 16°f, with 100% charge (L2 at work), preheated, and 1 inch of snow on the ground. I don't remember seeing a single snow plow our salting truck for the entire trip.

After an uneventful though slower than normal slog through the snow down I-94, I got onto the Edens spur and stopped. From there on it it was hell. Long story short - 3 1/2 hours to cover 29.5 miles.

I had to keep popping on the defrost to keep the windows clear. The snow was still coming down. I definitely tried out the traction control and ABS. I eventually had to stop at a Walgreen's, not because the car was out of juice. But because I needed a bathroom break. :oops:

I made it home with 21 miles left on the GOM (ECO) and 3 inches of snow on the ground. It has been years since I remember traffic being that bad.

• Complaints
    • Weak Windshield Washer Fluid
    • Wiper blades started to ice up, (had to break chunks off at the "bathroom break")

Other than that, the LEAF handled the trip like a champ!

bigtlb said:
Started with a SOC of 60% for a drive home of ~25 miles. The trip took more than 3 hours. Had no choice but to use the defrost to melt the snow and keep the windshield clear. I think I used more juice to defrost than to drive. At times the traffic moved at 5 mph, bumper to bumper. Even changing lanes was a challenge because of the snow drifts. When it became clear that going all the way home was dicey, I decided to get a one hour boost at Walgreens. After the break the snowfall had mostly stopped and I made it home easily with more than 20 miles of the DTE. Conclusion: slow traffic and having to constantly melt snow on the windshield is a tough combination.

bigtlb said:
<snip>
  • Complaints
    • Wiper blades started to ice up, (had to break chunks off at the "bathroom break")

I'm sure the batteries (in both cars) help keep the tires down better. My drive home in the Volt was excellent as well. Traction control, stabitrak control, and anti-lock brakes handled the snow packed roads great on lane changes and stops. The traction control is a little weird because it appears to give you slower starts from lights and such but thinking back without it on my other cars the tires would just be spinning and I wouldn't be moving fast either. The 2012 Volts have an option to turn off traction control but 2011s do not. One CO driver liked it because he had a hard time getting up his driveway but it was OK with traction control off.

I went to lunch with a co-worker who has a 2012 Volt. He had a little trouble with the blades starting to ice up. I don't have the problem at all on my 2011 Volt but I've cleaned the windows with Rain-X. May be good to wipe our blades down with it as well. Perhaps try this stuff.

With our cars all being so new we may still have the factory washer fluid in them as well. On all my other vehicles I use the washer fluid that is product cross-pollinated with Rain-X.

I haven’t driven my Leaf through the snow yet. But I’ve always hated the defroster in my 05 Malibu. It gets the center of the windshield hot and leaves about 8 inches on each side cold. So the center of the windshield gets dried dirty mist on it while the sides have ice. Very annoying. And the washer fluid only freezes when you need it.

Yes, yesterday was rather miserable getting home. 90 minutes for my 7.5 mile commute. The car did as good a job as you could expect in the snow and I had plenty of charge despite needing to defrost the windshield frequently. The weather can't get too much worse than yesterday, so making it through a worst-case-scenario with no issues was nice. Hope everyone else was able to travel safely yesterday.

scottf200 said:
bigtlb said:
<snip>
  • Complaints

<snip>\
With our cars all being so new we may still have the factory washer fluid in them as well. On all my other vehicles I use the washer fluid that is product cross-pollinated with Rain-X.
I do wonder if the factory wiper fluid isn't the main problem with freezing nozzles and the like. I expect the standard stuff that comes with the car is probably rated for 20 deg. F or such, which is the usual stuff sold here in the S.F. Bay Area. I typically have to buy winter fluid (ca. -20 deg. F) when I'm up around Lake Tahoe in the winter. Some of you cold weather people should try draining the fluid reservoir, refill it with winter-rated fluid and see what happens. Or you could call the dealer and see if they know what comes in the car.

This is just a heads up as it came as a pleasant surprise to me as I'm usually quite careful with the charges when you pick up your new car; especially as my dealer knew about the 'EL' plates process, etc. Well, long story short; look at the line on your 'paid' invoice specifically at the 'license and title' fees line. Mine listed $229 which would be correct if we got regular plates (not transferring) but the first time fee for 'EL' plates should be $130 ($95 for new title and $35 for two year registration). Some dealers will simply pocket this difference, but in my case (and hopefully others who opted for EL plates) they should either just charge the $130 or refund the $99 difference in this case -- which they did in the form of a check I got yesterday. In looking at it now, it almost appears that they charged me for BOTH the regular plate and EL plates otherwise is should have been $194 ($95 title + $99 regular plates). I passed this info along to tech01 as we bought at the same dealer but we both thought it worthwhile to share with the larger group -- just like the $99 credit back from Nissan for the original reservation this $99 'overcharge' showed me a bit more faith in my local dealer to make this right on their own. In your own cases (again, only if you opted for EL plates) it's worth a second look at your paperwork; perhaps your dealer already made this right or charged you correctly the first time but an extra close to $100 after the holidays is always welcome.

On another note, I got my first electric bill since buying the LEAF and while I don't need to over analyze with a separate meter, etc. and of course there may be other variables in play (but in our case very similar electric use, we always have relatives at the same time using more power during the holidays) we only used 79 kWh more this year versus last or $5.21 more (rate is .066 cents/kWh); as it was only a partial month we'll see next month -- we drove about 600 miles during that time. Comparing gas use, this year was $160 and last year was $246; of course this is totally unscientific but quite encouraging. On a last note, the increase in electricity cost was actually only $2.22 in 'real' dollars as last year's rate from ComEd directly was .076 cents/kWh and now I'm on a fixed rate with Champion Energy -- word is that my village may seek an even better rate on its own (putting it to a vote) that would bring it down to .055 cents/kWh as well as seek an electricity source using renewable energy sources so will get even better ... have more to tell the folks at work!

My COMED bill was only through 12-8 service date. I switched to real time pricing in mid dec. It seems I'm behind a billing cycle.

Thought you guys might be interested in this. Of course, they don't discuss range issues in much detail.

http://3d-car-shows.com/2012/the-nissan-leaf-proves-slick-in-wintry-test-drives-in-northern-japan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stopping by the dealer on sat. 1-21 Mcgrath realizes that they charged everhyone too much for plates and put "the check in the mail". A sure sign of good will. Changing subjects ohters have noted the wipers freeze up and the defrost doesn't quite get the whole windshield we too found this. Another sugests RAINEX. Good call have been using it for years windows are much easier to clear. Have added a usb powered fan that distributes air on the window better. Has anyone else experienced the back window and generaly the whole back of the car collecting slop?

Have added a squee-gee to emergency equipment. Does any one know if the usb port is powered by the 12v batry? Usb port fan works great on the rear window. Also it seems like a cool breeze comes out by the steering column, anyone else notice this?

dutchinchicago said:
At a chevrolet dealer now. They are offering 26000. Will miss my leaf.

Best of luck to you ... wonder how the whole fed tax rebate, etc. will work although you'll have it in two different tax years; assume that they had one in stock or did you have to order it?

I am now a reluctant owner of a Chevrolet Volt.

They gave me 26000 for the Leaf which is OK especially taken in account that this would reduce my sales tax on the new car. It would be the equivalent of selling the car to a private person for 28500.

I am already missing my leaf. The Volt is a much bigger car from the outside but feels claustrophobic from the inside. There is about 1 inch between my knees and the glove compartment and I am not a big guy.

After we sold the leaf we transferred our double stroller which fit easily in the Leaf's trunk and it took us 10 minutes to squeeze it in the tiny trunk of the Volt.

The roof is much lower as well.

It does not feel as fast as the leaf and I do not like having a bonnet sticking out of the front of the car. The leaf was much easier to park because there is not much sticking out in the front and back beyond what you can see. The volt does have a front parking sensor which will help. Not looking forward to having to do oil changes again.

Last Sunday we took a trip to Brookfield zoo with the Leaf. An epic 26 mile journey. We left with 11 bars and drove 55 miles/hour even pushing as high as 56 at some points with the heating on auto to prevent the fogging up of the windows. When we got back we only had 3 bars left. A rough calculation shows that on this trip we could have done 39 miles. Completely unacceptable. I will not miss the range anxiety but will miss everything else about this car. If I ever get a house with 2 parking spots I would buy another Leaf without hesitation.

I am not sure if I have to return the Illinois rebate. It mentions somewhere that you should keep the car for 5 years but that section seemed to be talking about conversions. Probably will give them a call.

If I can keep the Illinois rebate then I only lost $1000 on owning the car for a month which is OK. If I can't then I lost $4700 which is not so nice.

The Volt hat 1900 miles on the clock already. Strange to trade in my old car with 600 miles and get a new car with 1900 miles on the clock. I am really surprised the Chevrolet made the deal. They must be desperate to sell these cars.

Looking forward on going to places again and running the heating. The car has a 30 mile electrical range and an additional 270 miles gas range.

We did stop by the Wholefoods near old town last night and did see a new shiny quick charger. We hoped to try it out on the Leaf before we traded it in but it needed a charge it card to activate it.

dutchinchicago said:
I am really surprised the Chevrolet made the deal. They must be desperate to sell these cars.
They must see it as a real coup to get someone that already owns a LEAF to defect to Volt. The Volt is a good car for someone in exactly your situation: you want an EV but the LEAF doesn't have enough range and Telsa is unavailable/out-of-reach-pricewise. Best of luck!

To your assertion, yes, I think Chevy can produce Volts faster than they can sell them. Nissan is not at that point due to the battery, but we'll see what happens once the battery plant at Smyrna is online.

Back