Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched out the stock tires in december (about 750 miles). Is anyone interested in buying tires for $90 each?

Saw my first fellow LEAF in the wild!

It was a blue LEAF, on Foster Ave eastbound, near Clark, at around 10:45 this morning.

I was so surprised seeing one heading right at me, all I could do was point. :lol:

Have we come up with a special handsign or something? Or are we just going to do a boring wave when we see each other?

From an IL EV meeting tonight. This appears to be the brand of L3/QC chargers 350green.COM is installing. Issues are that these are unique and 480v so permits, inspectors, and that they need to install new 480v transformers 31"x31"x72" at almost all locations since no one has that much on their existing panels.

Just found this:
Efacec and 350Green Partner on Largest Order for Level 3 Fast Electric Vehicle Chargers
http://www.efacecusa.com/PO350Green.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(August 17, 2011) Norcross, GA / Los Angeles, CA -- Efacec USA, Inc., an electric vehicle charger manufacturer and Smart Grid solutions provider, and 350Green, LLC, a leading developer of electric vehicle charging networks, announce 350Green’s order for 900 Plug-in Electric Vehicle (EV) Level 3 QC50 DC Fast Chargers, the largest single order for Fast Chargers to date. These units will be produced in Norcross, Ga. marking the first time these units have been built in the United States by Efacec.

-----

Efacec's EV Fast Chargers Win ETL Certification (Ind. Report)
Efacec
Date: 2012-01-16
Efacec USA's QC50 DC Fast Charging station has now received ETL certification as EV Charging Equipment (EVCE) for both public and commercial use. The extensive testing required to achieve ETL certification ensures that the Fast Charger meets the highest possible safety standards for use in both wet and dry weather conditions. The QC50 DC is also CHAdeMO and CE certified. Group Efacec, the parent company of Efacec USA, is a global player in electric mobility and electric network supervision, control and management technologies. It is one of the few U.S. EV charger manufacturers to receive the ETL certification, which was awarded through Intertek, a leading provider of quality and safety solutions for a wide range of industries around the world.
The QC50 DC Fast Charger can be used to charge all Plug-In EVs with CHAdeMO charging standard compliance. Depending on the vehicle, a complete charge takes roughly 30 minutes starting from a low battery state. Its unique power electronics design results in top specifications for conductive DC fast charging. It produces high power output while still maintaining top power factor, THD and efficiency ratings.

On November 22, 2011, Efacec USA began producing the QC50 DC Fast Charger at its Norcross, Georgia, facility, furthering the goal of becoming a top player in the U.S. PEV charger market. Efacec also makes the QC50 at its factory in Maia, Portugal. (Source: Group Efacec, January 2012) Contact: Efacec, (770) 446-8854, http://www.efacecusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----

Past Feb 2011 Trib article:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-02-10/classified/ct-biz-0210-electric-stations-20110210_1_electric-vehicles-quick-charging-stations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----

They indicated they (DC) will be listed here soon http://www.chargepoint.net/find-stations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but there was some issues with passing that info to chargepoint.

Herm said:
Not UL listed?
Actually I think it is as the presenter made a point that there were very few QC/L3 chargers that were and they made sure they went with one that was.

The presenter also indicated (Ok I asked) that Efacec told them their Level 3 QC50 DC Fast Chargers were upgradeable including dual cord or substitute for J1772 combo/L3.

Some good links in this short article too.

Article: comed-supplier-choices
http://www.frugalnerd.com/blog/2012/02/comed-supplier-choices/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Citizens Utility Board Electric Competition: What ComEd customers should know
or the
ICC “Plug In Illinois” List of Supplier Pricing.
and
For communities that have selected a supplier, most offer electricity at a “Price to Compare” of 5.5 to 6.0 cents per kWh. See the ICC list of communities that have Municipal Aggregation Programs. This is also known as “Community Aggregation.”

[update]added links[/update]

scottf200 said:
Some good links in this short article too.

Article: comed-supplier-choices
http://www.frugalnerd.com/blog/2012/02/comed-supplier-choices/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a very good blog. Unfortunately there is not much activity.

Someone asked a while back about charging stations near Woodfield Mall ... the Whole Foods next to Woodfield has just put in 2 Level 2 ChargePoint's and 1 Level 3 CharjIt. They are not fully operational yet, but should be soon. They are located in the Whole Foods underground parking garage, which is open daily from 8am until 10pm - or whenever last customer leaves the store. Exact address is 750 N. Martingale Rd., Schaumburg, IL. The store is waiting to find out more about when they will be up and running and will call me back - will post that update when I get it.

-------I will be talking to 350Green tomorrow late afternoon. Had a good conversation last Friday. I was told that the L3 stations will have a pay card up and running shortly. (I guess we've all heard that, but it was described to me as a flip of a switch away). The charge will be $21.00 for two prime time charges or the same for 3 off prime time charges. (15 minute charges) I am thinking this is a bit steep since it would translate to about $10.50 for apx. 80 miles or less of driving distance or in OPEC terms $5.25/gal. @ 40 mpg. Off peak $7.00 per charge or $3.50/gal @40mpg. Personally I'll be happy to see them up and available. I intend to use them on an emergency basis, so I'll take the high price in stride as it's their business and just happy to see it available. They also intend to include a cost to L2 usage in the same plan but for that I hope to have more details upcoming tomorrow. The pricing will somehow be combined. I don't know if this will take the place of the current ChargePoint Car Pass or what. Looking forward to talking with Cal. again tomorrow.
-------- 15 minute charge. I really wonder if that will bring the Leaf to 80%. I thought we needed 20-30 minute at DC levels. If we need 30 minutes that obviously doubles the price.....Not good at all...
-------- Happy to see a white Leaf pass through Highland Park last week. Saw another on US 41 heading up to Lake Forest or beyond. So far everyone I turn over the wheel to has been impressed. Too many half full thinkers out there. They all love the car but try to figure out why it might "possibly" not work for them. Good thing we are all out there pioneering the way...........................................................1600 miles since Jan. 2 and rolling along.

ibLEAF said:
Happy to see a white Leaf pass through Highland Park last week. Saw another on US 41 heading up to Lake Forest or beyond.
I often drive on US 41 near Lake Forest, so you may have seen me. I'll be looking out for black LEAFs in the future. :)

I just got my car back from the voluntary service campaign work at Libertyville Nissan.

They had to keep the car overnight (their network connection to Nissan kept dropping, so they were having trouble downloading the software update). This meant I had to buy gas to top off the loaner (grrrr). :roll:

They installed the lower apron bracket and updated the software. The updated manual is on backorder and they will let me know when it comes in.

McGrath Nissan in Elgin called me over lunch today as the 'snow shield' was in, car goes in Thursday night and they'll provide a loaner as well. They also said that they would mail me the new manual which is no big deal ... plan to also have them straighten the steering wheel as others have already mentioned; mine was off on day one, hit no potholes but tilts up a bit on the left, down on the right when steering straight. I've had this on other new cars, as long as you catch it on your first visit usually still a no charge 'adjustment'. The last oddball thing is that stretchy leatherette sleeve they put the manual in has started to tear, appears the stitching pulled away so will mention that as well. It basically keeps the manual sections in one place but not exactly a 'good' design with those velcro strips ... pretty much 1,400 trouble free miles just waiting for warmer weather for a bit better miles/kWh; last trip was at 4.7.

EDIT: Had to reschedule for today as the main LEAF mechanic had an emergency on Friday, today was a much better weather day anyway. Completed all the stuff except they needed to order the manual, they said a new 'holder' will come with it so that covers that portion as well. Steering wheel now nice and straight, toe was indeed out of spec so that was good and the hatch/trunk had a squeak when closing so they lubed that as well. As others noticed, the timer was simply turned off after the firmware update, settings still in place as well as the average kWh listing/trip meter was reset as well. Car was washed (it needed it) and ready to go, combine that with a clean free rental ... as expected I'm pleased with their service dept., which also opened at 7AM so made it to work in plenty of time.

Two things of interest -- this is the 2nd Versa rental I've driven, first was awhile back well before we had the LEAF so was now able to drive back to back, while I realize that Nissan makes both these cars, and there may be some shared components, what a difference! The Versa is a nice basic econobox but the whole driving experience is SO different, the LEAF seems 'plush' afterwards and it's not just the lighter colored interior but a lot more things, while some may not see this I certainly did; more than likely if you bring your LEAF in for service this is probably what they'll give you so be sure to check for yourself. Second point of interest, probably never noticed as I haven't reset the average kWh indicator --- it's how fast that changes. The car had 6.7 miles on the trip meter (probably mechanic road test) and showed 2.2 average; by the time I was home after another 13 miles it already showed 3.2. We already noticed the additional 'chime' noise when parking it in the garage --- will be curious on the 'reprogramming' of the EVHEV and TELEMATICS (as per the service order write-up)

I am cautiously optimistic that the software update is showing more available miles on the GOM. My commute from work-home (starting at %100) is showing 10 more remaining miles than previous trips (62 instead of 52).

If this is true, I may be able to back off to %80 charging for my ~60 mile round trip.

I will have a better handle on it after the round trip tomorrow.

bigtlb said:
Saw my first fellow LEAF in the wild!

It was a blue LEAF, on Foster Ave eastbound, near Clark, at around 10:45 this morning.

I was so surprised seeing one heading right at me, all I could do was point. :lol:

Have we come up with a special handsign or something? Or are we just going to do a boring wave when we see each other?
The official LEAF wave, as decided by a vote on the Nissan LEAF Facebook page, is Spock's "live long and prosper" V.

I got my LEAF here in PA 2 weeks ago. Probably not as cold here as Chicago; mine sits outside at night and the battery temp gauge is at 4 bars usually. But the LEAF seems to perform OK in the (compared to some, I'm sure) mild winter weather we have here. I've not seen another LEAF in the wild, yet...

bigtlb said:
I am cautiously optimistic that the software update is showing more available miles on the GOM. My commute from work-home (starting at %100) is showing 10 more remaining miles than previous trips (62 instead of 52).

If this is true, I may be able to back off to %80 charging for my ~60 mile round trip.

I don't understand why this is an improvement? The car will still do the same number of miles as it did before. For me I could do something between 55 and 65 miles before I reached the low battery warning. I thought that the problem was that the GOM always was over optimistic. It used to show 105 miles for me while in reality I could only do 60 miles.

dutchinchicago said:
bigtlb said:

I don't understand why this is an improvement? The car will still do the same number of miles as it did before. For me I could do something between 55 and 65 miles before I reached the low battery warning. I thought that the problem was that the GOM always was over optimistic. It used to show 105 miles for me while in reality I could only do 60 miles.

If it's a bit more true to actual versus even more optimistic (before going to 'low battery warning' or even the dreaded '---' indicator for turtle mode) that will bring a bit more piece of mind to us that still drive one; some have reported that the GOM was actually showing LESS miles than the battery could really take you but of course the warning stuff comes on based on the read out on it so why not have it be more accurate? In my own case only a day or two after having it done it seems to show more 'available' range --- true test will be the weekends when we pretty much go through a full charge either on Saturdays and/or Sundays with our errands so we'll see. Still have yet to see a fellow LEAF, just missed another owner getting theirs serviced by my dealer, don't believe it was a forum member so too bad as I would have loved to mention it ... I see a silver/green Volt almost every day now in the big public lot in Old Long Grove if it happens to be anyones?

I haven't had the update yet (having it done tomorrow), but I've seen a dramatic improvement in efficiency the last few days. On my normal commute to work in the morning the car displayed 6.3 miles/kwh! I've been generally running around 4.5 for most of the winter, so this is a huge jump. I ended up driving an additional 30+ miles the rest of the day, the vast majority of which was highway mileage at 55-60mph, and I still averaged 5 miles/kwh for the day. If this keeps up, I may try and make a run at 100 miles on a charge even with weather under 40 degrees.

Anyone else seeing a change to their car's efficiency?

6799349732_3514d66c6b.jpg

Stopped by McGrath Nissan and somehow the gacier silver leaf came with the new parts and manuel. I did forget to have them straighten the steering wheel. An update notice did appear on my i-phone for the Leaf. Performing the update, the GOM showed 122 miles available. Do not rely on this new improved number as it rapidly diappeared. This while enduring freezing feet, fogging windows etc. 5 Below sells a usb fan for $5 that helps keep the windows transparent. We are envious of those of you getting 4+miles, we can't seem to top 3.5, although we did grow four little trees thursday and got home with 20mi. still showing. Still got only 3.5 mi.

CNBC.com Article: Chevrolet's Volt Sales Running Low, GM Idles the Line

Chevy's electric car, The Volt, is running on empty. With sales lagging and inventories building, GM has decided to idle production of the Chevy Volt for five weeks.

Full Story:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/46608011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I find this bad news all around. Too many people think of the Leaf in the same way they think of the Volt. Thus bad publicity for the Electric Car movement. The Volt is so dissimilar that this shouldn't be a blow to the Leaf BUT.........Regrettable-----But a comparably priced Leaf is almost $9,000 less. The Volt only goes 30 miles( ? ) per charge. So will the public run from the plug-in Prius which should be only getting 15( ? )miles per charge? It's a Toyota and a very popular model at that. Will that help? The Ford Focus EV is coming with similarities to the Leaf. Will that fall flat as well? With gas over $4.00 a gallon one has to wonder what the American public is waiting for. I assume there are great deals to be had on the Volt at the moment. I don't want one, I'd rather have my Leaf. Is that possibly why there will be more Leafs than Volts? Or are Leaf sales falling felt too? Hope not...........

Back