Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibLEAF said:
I just finished an interview with Channel 7 ABC local news to be aired today at 4 and 6. Hopefully it will come out with a positive spin to the virtues of owning a Nissan Leaf. Tried my best but who know what will new edited or shown. Just trying to put the word out there that complaining and saying there's nothing that can be done about high gas prices is a fallacy. Hope I didn't put us Leaf drivers in a bad light. If it came out poorly I apologize beforehand. See you on the streets. 3000 miles and going strong...

AFTERTHOUGHT 6 pm news report did a nice job....... Maybe we'll get some converts........ (4 pm report was not as encouraging but was revised after we spoke and I believe showed the Leaf in a really good way live at 6). Thank you Diane ABC 7 NEWS. Watch the report on the ABC 7 website.

This is the 4 pm video. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=8593161&pid=8593160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; In the 6 pm newscast Diane revised her expensive comment about the Leaf and mentioned that the price was much much cheaper after rebates.

Not bad, nice job. I think any publicity is good. I’ll bet the lady considering buying a scooter (somehow I can’t see her really buying a scooter) didn’t even know an electric car could be an option.

The video had the $3/100mi comment but unfortunately that wasn’t on the 6 o’clock showing I saw.

Dino said:
ibLEAF said:
I just finished an interview with Channel 7 ABC local news to be aired today at 4 and 6. Hopefully it will come out with a positive spin to the virtues of owning a Nissan Leaf. Tried my best but who know what will new edited or shown. Just trying to put the word out there that complaining and saying there's nothing that can be done about high gas prices is a fallacy. Hope I didn't put us Leaf drivers in a bad light. If it came out poorly I apologize beforehand. See you on the streets. 3000 miles and going strong...

AFTERTHOUGHT 6 pm news report did a nice job....... Maybe we'll get some converts........ (4 pm report was not as encouraging but was revised after we spoke and I believe showed the Leaf in a really good way live at 6). Thank you Diane ABC 7 NEWS. Watch the report on the ABC 7 website.

This is the 4 pm video. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/video?id=8593161&pid=8593160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; In the 6 pm newscast Diane revised her expensive comment about the Leaf and mentioned that the price was much much cheaper after rebates.

Not bad, nice job. I think any publicity is good. I’ll bet the lady considering buying a scooter (somehow I can’t see her really buying a scooter) didn’t even know an electric car could be an option.

The video had the $3/100mi comment but unfortunately that wasn’t on the 6 o’clock showing I saw.

Nice job ibLEAF!

Here's a heads up if anyone is waiting for the installation of their RTP meter. Took me 7 operators at Commonwealth Edison until I finally received an answer that they lost my work order. The Watt Spot had no answers as to when and said to call CE. CE sent me back to the Watt Spot. The Watt Spot sent me to a supervisor at CE who then sent me back to Watt Spot. Ping Pong... And until I finally found out that they lost the work order, I was being told to wait and be patient that it will be done shortly. I ordered mine online Jan 12.....CE will not connect a customer to the meter installation department. If you think it's taking too long for your meter installation, it might just be that they've never put your order in their system.........

NY Times article on state of electric cars:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/sunday-review/the-electric-car-unplugged.html?_r=1&hpw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I see is the biggest problem is kind of basic actually.
If you look at your Leaf you can see the charging stations, but no one else can see them. If you ask anyone where is electric car charging stations, they will say "No Where". People don't want to buy Leaf because they don't "see" EV stations. Unlike gas stations you see them on corners, you see pumps from the road, the name and etc.

Example: Golf Mill Mall has 2 level 2 and 1 DC station. No where it's marked, No where on the busy corners of the street says "EV charging stations available here".
The DC station is little off from Golf Mill Mall, kind of "outside the mall", on the parking lot of the offices of PNC bank. WHY there? What can a person do in the lot of a PNC bank? it's 10 minutes walking to Golf Mill Mall entrance, why didn't they just put it up by the other level 2 chargers that are by the food court?

What I am trying to say, people don't have "visuals", They can't spot charging stations, people needs signs, if all 290 stations had them, people would be like "Oh my, they are everywhere".. cause now it's like "What?! there is 290 of them? Where?, OMG right next to my house no way!"

YashuV said:
What I see is the biggest problem is kind of basic actually.
If you look at your Leaf you can see the charging stations, but no one else can see them. If you ask anyone where is electric car charging stations, they will say "No Where". People don't want to buy Leaf because they don't "see" EV stations. Unlike gas stations you see them on corners, you see pumps from the road, the name and etc.

Example: Golf Mill Mall has 2 level 2 and 1 DC station. No where it's marked, No where on the busy corners of the street says "EV charging stations available here".
The DC station is little off from Golf Mill Mall, kind of "outside the mall", on the parking lot of the offices of PNC bank. WHY there? What can a person do in the lot of a PNC bank? it's 10 minutes walking to Golf Mill Mall entrance, why didn't they just put it up by the other level 2 chargers that are by the food court?

What I am trying to say, people don't have "visuals", They can't spot charging stations, people needs signs, if all 290 stations had them, people would be like "Oh my, they are everywhere".. cause now it's like "What?! there is 290 of them? Where?, OMG right next to my house no way!"

Good point. People need to know that these stations are available and where. If they don't own a Leaf they need one of the many apps that can be downloaded to smartphones..i.e. CarStations,Recargo,PlugShare or ChargePoint. We need to get that information out there....

My latest move for more Leaf publicity may prove to be another local TV interview on CBS Channel 2 this Monday. I'm hoping this one will be more in depth about all the charging stations available to us as well as the affordability of the Leaf. I'm going to keep pursuing this effort until the airwaves are proliferated with positive spins as to our enjoyment and problem free, gas less driving. I will push to get the message out that the Leaf is really $29,000 and more practical and environmentally clean than the Volt or any non fully electric vehicle available thus far. $2.50 to $3.00 per 100 miles. The public needs to know that this is out there and not that they sarcastically have only scooters as alternatives. Will keep pushing to make the story about the Leaf and not about the sensationalism of high gas prices........

Also A new article from Thursday's Chicago Tribune concerning L3 stations now up and running.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-pricing-announced-for-ev-charging-stations-20120329,0,7001655.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out the comments on the Trib article. Outside of the usual misinformation about EVs, there is shock at the pricing for the L3 chargers, as there should be. There are two uses for L3 charging - to extend the range of your vehicle for long trips and for emergencies when you feel you can't make it to your destination on the charge you have.

For the first type, the price is more expensive than a gasoline vehicle even at today's prices.

For the second type, those of us who actually drive a Leaf on a daily basis know that we just don't get into emergency situations where an L3 is necessary. That's hard for a lot of non-EV drivers to understand, but those of us who actually drive these cars know it to be true. So the usage of an L3 charger for most drivers would be a very rare event. And most people wouldn't want to count on using an L3 charger in their driving plans at anything close to this rate of cost.

If 350 would like to see any return on their investment in these units, they absolutely must lower the rate charge. These L3 units should encourage people to buy EVs but I think with this level of pricing, it may further discourage them.

ibLEAF said:
I will push to get the message out that the Leaf is really $29,000 and more practical and environmentally clean than the Volt or any non fully electric vehicle available thus far. $2.50 to $3.00 per 100 miles.

BTW, the cost of a Leaf is well under $29K with the federal and state rebates when comparing apples to apples (base vehicle price only). More like $26K for an SL. And with real time charging, (assuming ComEd will hook you up :roll: ) you can easily get the cost of driving under 2 cents/mile.

Bzzzzz said:
ibLEAF said:
I will push to get the message out that the Leaf is really $29,000 and more practical and environmentally clean than the Volt or any non fully electric vehicle available thus far. $2.50 to $3.00 per 100 miles.

BTW, the cost of a Leaf is well under $29K with the federal and state rebates when comparing apples to apples (base vehicle price only). More like $26K for an SL. And with real time charging, (assuming ComEd will hook you up :roll: ) you can easily get the cost of driving under 2 cents/mile.

I'd love to get the message out that a new Leaf SL can be gotten for $26K but the numbers don't add up. A base SL @ $37,250 needs to have $2,552 added for taxes and $850 for destination charges. That's $40800. Deduct the Illinois 10% rebate of $3725 ( This is the rebate given to us as the state only rebates the base MSRP-no taxes-no destination charges-no accessories, etc ) plus the $7500 Federal rebate, and the best final price ( when and if we get our state rebate back to us ) is $29,580. This is using .0725 as the Illinois state tax paid at upon taking delivery. Now if you can buy it under dealers cost, then you'll swing a much better deal. I thought I was fortunate when I got $700 off the MSRP and believe that the dealer cost is about $700 less than what I paid. Doing the same calculations for the base SV, the final price ( again if Illinois doesn't run out of money ) comes out to $27,582.

As for 350 Green. I believe we really only have one use for the L3 charger and I agree that it's for emergency only. Since Nissan says to charge at most 1 time per week at L3, we'd new foolish to attempt to drive long ranges for fear of battery damage. I don't really think $7.00 is too mush to ask for an emergency charge. In that situation I believe, at this point, we should be simply happy to have them around. Yeah, $3.50 would be great, but what a relief it is to know we can be charged and out in 15 minutes if we need the service. Ford Focus EV users will be fuming when they see they have no L3 option at all at the release of their EV. Unfortunate for them. Also the fact that 350 Green will not as yet be charging for their L2 chargers is another trade off that is beneficial for the EV driver for now. They could easily have incorporated a charge for the L2 service as well. Happy they didn't. I like to get a few extra miles for free whenever I'm around a L2 charger.

ibLEAF said:
I'd love to get the message out that a new Leaf SL can be gotten for $26K but the numbers don't add up. A base SL @ $37,250 needs to have $2,552 added for taxes and $850 for destination charges. That's $40800.

You are correct, of course, on the true cost of the vehicle. But when people compare the cost of cars, they generally do not add in costs like destination charges and sales tax. They compare the base vehicle price only, such as those prices advertised in the paper or TV. So when giving a very basic statement on the cost of the vehicle, I think it is more helpful to people to quote the $26K number. Most people understand that there will be additional charges and taxes on top of that price.

Good morning!!!!
I have been feeling EV isolated out here as I have not seen another EV since getting my Leaf Dec 22 and 3300 miles.

This morning made up for that.
On the trip into work I spotted a Volt on Central Ave just west of Arlington Hts road and a minute later, just after I turned south on Arlington Heights road a Fisker Karma pulled along side me and gave me the coffee cup salute. Damn, that is a good looking vehicle.
Plates were PLGDIN Environmental plates. After a mile he went east. I assume he is working in Elk Grove Village. I continued south also working in Elk Grove Village.
Still looking for my first Leaf spotting........... perhaps later today!

OldQuadDog said:
Good morning!!!!
I have been feeling EV isolated out here as I have not seen another EV since getting my Leaf Dec 22 and 3300 miles.

This morning made up for that.
On the trip into work I spotted a Volt on Central Ave just west of Arlington Hts road and a minute later, just after I turned south on Arlington Heights road a Fisker Karma pulled along side me and gave me the coffee cup salute. Damn, that is a good looking vehicle.
Plates were PLGDIN Environmental plates. After a mile he went east. I assume he is working in Elk Grove Village. I continued south also working in Elk Grove Village.
Still looking for my first Leaf spotting........... perhaps later today!

Haven't checked in much myself as we went south for spring break (my wife works for a high school) and just returned this past Saturday ... my son saw a white LEAF near Harper College in Palatine while we were away, he thinks it's the same one as he saw a few weeks back already mentioned, it was at night so no plate number to share. We were traveling mostly interstates but had stops in Mufreesboro, TN; Amelia Island and St. Augustine, FL as well as Bowling Green, KY (home of the Corvette) and not one LEAF to be spotted (as well as we haven't seen ANY around town). As our LEAF didn't get driven at all while we were away, I was curious if the battery would lose any charge (left it at 80%) and it lost one 'bar' in a little over a week of no use. Our LEAF shows about 2,200 since Dec 23rd delivery --- too bad the trip couldn't be all electric as we put 2,200 on our ICE trip car (an '09 Routan with a 4.0L). Gas is so much cheaper in the south (paid $4.44 for 89 octane in Chicago before we left, lowest was $3.65, highest $4.00 for the same mid-grade gas) and we managed a high of 26.3 MPG at a constant 72 MPH on the flat lands of IN and parts of KY and GA. I did see one 'local' Volt going through Jacksonville but that's about it for plug-in's; there simply aren't very many of them this side of the Mississippi. Perhaps this summer we'll see some ...

I co-worker told me he saw a red Leaf with 280 EL plates this morning on his way to work. So far I have spotted one Leaf and one Volt.

350green (or chargit). Just called me. Hopefully this isn't too repetitive. They require a $21 deposit just to get the card. Level 2 chargers are free while level 3 chargers are $7 per charge (no time limit). Seems a bit steep on the surface but comparable to 2-5 gallons of gas to go 100 miles. I expect this to be strictly a backup plan especially if I park long term at ohare.

I just saw this article about 350Green and about a lot of charging stations they are installing in Chicago.

http://analysis.evupdate.com/qa/mariana-gerzanych-350green-rolling-out-ev-infrastructure?utm_source=http%3a%2f%2fuk.evupdate.com%2ffc_tele_evupdatelz%2f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EV+WW+4+4+12&utm_term=Schooling+the+future+for+electric+transportation&utm_content=243723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this actually happening, especially the installation of QuickChargers? How many have you seen?
(patiently waiting for ours QCs here in San Diego, Calif).

Here is another article about 350green and charging stations in Chicago.

Illinois boasts "largest" US fast charge network
The US State of Illinois recently inaugurated what is being touted as the “largest fast charge network” in the US. The project is the work of highway administrator Illinois Tollway, infrastructure company 350Green and retailer 7-Eleven. The network forms part of the Chicago-Area EV Infrastructure Project, which currently includes 26 fast-chargers and which will be extended to 73 total fast-chargers in total. Eight of these chargers are currently in place at Tollway Oases retail outlets. The installations are managed by 350Green.

From EVUpdate See Weekly Intelligent Brief 29 March - 4 April 2012: http://analysis.evupdate.com/weekly-intelligence-brief" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lkkms2 said:
I just saw this article about 350Green and about a lot of charging stations they are installing in Chicago.

http://analysis.evupdate.com/qa/mariana-gerzanych-350green-rolling-out-ev-infrastructure?utm_source=http%3a%2f%2fuk.evupdate.com%2ffc_tele_evupdatelz%2f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EV+WW+4+4+12&utm_term=Schooling+the+future+for+electric+transportation&utm_content=243723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this actually happening, especially the installation of QuickChargers? How many have you seen?
(patiently waiting for ours QCs here in San Diego, Calif).

Have seen at least two ... both at Walgreen's one in Palatine and the other in Buffalo Grove, IL (you'll see mention of these much earlier in this thread). Walgreen's itself has put in several L2 stations around Chicago and the 'burbs that are being followed up with these L3's 350Greens

EDIT: on another topic, saw a black Volt last night around 8:30PM at corner of Palatine / Quentin, no question what it was but plate wasn't visible ... still no LEAF sightings.

I've seen the l3 fast charger in the underground garage at Schaumburg whole foods. It was in working condition.

Just passed 5k mi. E-mail from dealer for no charge (no pun intended) inspection and free wash. Have already taken it back for an alignment. That improved its handling especially in the wind. Have achieved 3.8kw. Did go 92mi. in March when it was warm. We'll be the poster boy for charging to 100% everyday. Have yet to see another LEAF. A neighbor had a VOLT> They sold it back to GM as they had a lot of trouble with it. Never achieved the 40 mi. on just electric power. had an anemic heater.

Back