Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thrilled to see that the state is honoring their offer. Filed my papers in Jan. Took delivery on 1-5. We'll have to see how the rebate schedule rolls out. Curently have 6900+ miles. just got an inspection from the dealer @n/c.

Tech01, what was the inspection for? I went in last week for the software update and snow bracket and I could not figure out why my charging schedule was not working for two days :) Turns our their update blew away the schedule. It was the first time I needed to drive the ICE vehicle in 5 months because I did not have enough juice. Also after the update my drivers side window auto up switch was not working. Turns out there is a specific remedy for this in the manual.

:| no rebate check yet but hopefully soon, hey my car was late so perhaps the check will follow suite, mailed in the form a week before the end of December so we'll see. On other news, still have only seen one other LEAF 'in the wild' as noted earlier but another two Volt's (a red and that silver/green color) as well as at least 3 maybe 4 at Stasek Chevy lot in Wheeling. In reading the Sunday Tribune also saw this small ad from Woodfield Nissan that they actually have a LEAF 'for immediate delivery' -- of course when you go to their site and check inventory, it's only one but this is the first print ad for one I've seen. Of other interest is the fact that Nissan is taking pre-orders on the new Altima (same ad). Lastly, while we were out doing errands yesterday, I had two guys stop me to ask about my LEAF at the Target in Schaumburg on Higgins -- one guy was pretty excited that mine was the first LEAF he's seen so I gave him an info sheet that I carry for the occasion (thanks to other members for putting that together) and told him all about this forum. With this moderate weather have seen the mile per kWh climb, up to 4.9 on a recent mixed commute but was well over 5 in a lot of stop and go traffic yesterday but will check Carwings for the average -- had a long enough drive to get 3+ trees so we're pretty pleased. Here is a snip of the ad ...
Happy Earth Day !!

LEAF%20Schaum.jpg

ibLEAF said:
Just received my 350Green Charjit card. It has $21 of credit and can be used for up to 30 minutes per charge ( not the original 15 that they first thought was workable ) . Check out the link below and you will see 22 online, functional L3 stations. Those, and any others on the interstates, are located on both the North and Southbound Oasis and count as 2 stations, since there really are 2 charging stations. So there are not 22 individual locations, but 22 total L3 stations up and running right now. I've been told there are more coming up in the next few days and weeks and that the map will be updated daily by 350Green. It's a Google map so it's not the easiest to navigate from a desktop....

I'm hopeful I can get all this out to CBS Channel 2 when I get together with Anchor Dana Koslov this Thursday. Even more hopeful the story will be about the Leaf and not high gasoline prices......Got to get more Leafs on the road....

http://350green.com/locate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Green spots are Level 3. Blue's are 2 ( one Level 2 station ) or 22's which indicates 2 Level 2 chargers per location..

Had to go back a few pages in our Chicagoland thread but did not see this story featured ... as it's about both the LEAF and a local use of an L3 thought it might be of interest ... looks like they still need to work a few bugs out of the fee to charge but at least it did work (for both a LEAF and a Mitsu 'i')

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/04/field-trial-level-three-quick-charging-two-evs.html#more

The inspection was just the usual routine items. A brief list; loose cables, shields , brakes, clean lubricate and adjust guide rails on the glove box, check for codes, computer diagnostic. The inspection sheet they gave me was for a regular car and had mostly things not relevant to Leafs. This one is a true 2012 model as it had the latest programming and the snow shield. Since I paid full list they get to wash it, which they usually don't do. Twice as they didn't get all the bugs off. We see alot of Prius still not one wild Leaf. Cruisin season is comming up soon anyone gonna try to enter their Leaf ? McGrath Nissans should gather at Shales & Irving Pk. rd. sometime in May. Will keep you posted on the dates.

Gotta love free power! 5 hours of free (government subsidized wind power sold at a loss to receive federal rebates) electric charging. I feel like Exxon sucking on the government tit.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 25
Almost free power, you still have to pay the ~2.5c/kWh ComEd distribution fee. But I am definitely beating the 1c/mile threshold today. ;)

Some activity on another thread got me thinking ... if those who've already commented (wcbrauneis, ibLEAF, OldQuadDog, bwallach, lukati, prolix74 and Tardis ... sorry if I forgot someone) have already received their IL EPA rebate checks was it a straight purchase (no trade) or something else? It's not supposed to be tied to what you paid IL in sales tax (as it exceeds that) but perhaps that's why mine is delayed; again probably just the bureaucracy in action but I posted mine to them on the 27-Dec which should have had enough time to be included with your 'batch' in most cases -- I'm sure I've got no recourse but to wait but just wanted to compare notes; if the right paperwork wasn't included I would think I would have heard something by now. We've already seen the big one (Fed Credit) when we filed our taxes and actually the tax refund was pretty quick -- this extra delay (just like waiting for the car) is just one more thing ... at least the car itself has been great; next few days will test the strength of the A/C with the hot weather coming (my turn to drive it is today and tomorrow) ... still only a single LEAF 'in the wild' sighting so far but lots more Volts are around (parked next to a red one at a Potbelly in Deer Park, dealer frame on the regular IL plate was far south 'burb, not 'local') and saw some more Chevy dealer Volt listings as well.

Mine was a straight purchase. You can contact Paul Mason with Illinois EPA at 217-557-1441 to follow up on your status. The rebate is not tied to the sales tax paid: I just like to use that as a rebuttal to those that feel they have somehow helped pay for my Leaf. Not the best argument but oh well.

We did a trade-in of our old Prius when we purchased the Leaf so that cannot account for the delay. I am sure they are just processing them in batches which is why so many people got their checks at the exact same time. Considering that I am still waiting two months now for my IL tax refund, I am not surprised that they are dragging their feet on everything else.

As for Leafs in the wild, I have seen a "surge" of them in the past few days. There was a red twin of ours in the parking lot of the rec center we go to and as we were leaving from there, we saw a silver one go by! It was eerie to not see one ever and then suddenly see two within a minute of each other.

I then saw a third one today down here in the loop. It was a commercial vehicle with a big electric plug picture on the side of it but I don't recall the company name (had to get to work quick to dodge the rain). So it looks like there are more of them going around.

My purchase was straight purchase... no trade. Took the forms to the post office on Dec 26.

I also have yet to see a Leaf in the Wild.
I go past the Walgreens almost every workday at Hicks & Dundee where RedLeaf had a sighting.
I have tried the L2 charger there.... it does not require any kind of card... just like the home chargers.

My purchase was straight purchase without a trade. I mailed the forms around Dec. 15th.
I have yet to see another Leaf.

Straight purchase for me as well. Filed the paper work at the end of December.

Btw, visited the Whole Foods on Willow & Waukegan today. They have 2 L2 & 1 L3 charger. I plugged mine in, got some lunch from their awesome fresh food section and ate outside on their patio overlooking the car :) The car/cable got lots of looks and second glances from passer bys...Good stuff..

Finally ordered my 240 charging unit as well (HomeDepot Schneider).

We received our rebate in the first batch. Purchased with a trade in.

Have seen only (1) Leaf in the wild - a red one on the Kennedy heading into Chicago. It went into the express lanes and we didn't, so didn't get a closer look. It had regular Illinois plates.

To follow up on my post from way back, the Whole Foods in Schaumburg now has all (3) chargers up and running - (2) Level 2 and (1) Level 3.

Re: Fox Vale Elect Auto Association FVEAA - Rich Hirschberg - GoAFV (at) yahoo.com

Downtown Elgin, IL

Can you bring your car to my green car show coming up on Sat., May 5th?
If so, go ahead and register at the site.
http://www.MidwestGreenCarShow.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --- "Participant" tab ---- drop down to"Pre-register".

Don't know why but your link was broken ...
Did a Google search and come up with: http://midwestgreencarexpo.weebly.com/

EDIT: OK, pre-registered; looks like my dealer will be there as well as an exhibitor (McGrath Nissan) so hopefully we'll see at least a few LEAF's as well as Volts and perhaps a Mitsu 'i' as well?

EDIT2: just got back a little while ago, very nice event although 'scott200' didn't make it as well as any other LEAF owners (short notice, I know); this group of EV owners are the diehard EV conversion guys but they'll welcome any and all EV owners. McGrath Nissan had a booth manned by my sales rep Darryl Watson and the daughter of the owner Molly McGrath and they had a Chevy Volt with a local Chevy rep, a purple Mitsu 'i' with a tech/mechanic as well as a prototype DeLorean EV that was quite cool (will post photos of that over on the 'other' EV thread). A fair amount of people took a test drive in the McGrath LEAF demo and it turns out that they plan to sell both their white '11 LEAF demo with CWP and only 300 miles as well as a silver '12 demo LEAF as well ... Darryl mentioned a very good incentive on the white '11; it's never been titled so still qualifies for both rebates as much as I can tell -- still looks quite new for anyone on the fence who can't wait this would be the car to buy. Took these photos with my camera phone, first you can see the Volt, a NG converted pickup, a bit of the Mitsu 'i' , the Mitsu SUV and then my red LEAF (was overcast day, sorry for poor quality), second photo is a black Mitsu Outlander Sport which next year should have an EV version (on the corner you see a bit of redLEAF) ... styling will change a bit but nice looking now. There was also an older Civic conversion, a bicycle EV conversion but not much else ... they had expected some Tesla's but perhaps with the iffy weather they changed their mind (it started out misty rain). The Green Expo within Centre Elgin had many exhibits with a green theme ... that was well attended as well; lots of misconceptions about EV's but after people took a test drive they were pretty surprised by how quiet, acceleration, etc. Darryl had mentioned to me that Nissan will be stepping up with a fair amount of promotion for the LEAF with an anticipation to drive some more demand so we'll see ...

GreenExpo.jpg

GreenExpo2.jpg

Is anyone aware of the charger installation rebate now being offered in Illinois? It looks like it is retroactive to last July but the deadline to apply is 6/15/12! I was about to go through and fill out the paperwork but I wanted to see if anyone else has applied for it already.

http://www.commerce.state.il.us/dceo/Bureaus/Energy_Recycling/ev.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back