Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those second rounders for the IL EPA EV rebate (for those that read this thread, you may recall that the IL EPA reviews applications at the end of Dec and end of June) I got a follow up call on my application from late December and now I know why it was classified for 'additional review' - apparently the invoice form my dealer used does not show his dealer name and location (they own multiple dealerships so can understand using a more general form) but includes a separate document that shows their name, your check number (if appropriate), dealer stock number, etc. and I guess I should have included that as well, the monroney vehicle sticker shows the dealer name but that's not enough even though the receipt was clearly marked paid, etc. The fellow who contacted me was nice enough but is just the first to review the application and move it along -- as by this time I had a copy of the cancelled check with the local dealer's name on it available as well so I scanned and emailed that along with this secondary 'dealer' receipt (showing it was bought from an IL dealer -- important because buying out of state makes it ineligible for the rebate, this contact had said that's been a problem with a few of the applications he has reviewed) and at least this passes the first hurdle; still no ETA on when I might see a check but hopefully sometime over the summer. On the other rebate for the EVSE equipment + install, a fair amount of follow ups with the IL contact and my electrical contractor but believe that's set up for payment now (different state agency, different requirements). This is all new ground so patience and perseverance is a necessity of course until the program(s) get discontinued or run out of funds --- the EVSE rebate is set to expire in 2 days (June 15th) unless it gets renewed. Hope to report a change in status on these rebates soon, we'll see!

On the age comment, my son who also drives our LEAF just turned 24 does that count?

That EVSE rebate is a tough one. Especially if you install the system yourself. Every receipt had to be accounted for, and every line item on every receipt needed to be numbered and detailed out in a separate spreadsheet defining its use in the system. The #8-3 wire needed three iterations of description before it was accepted as a requirement for the system. The final version that was accepted:

"The item #3 is the main electric line that connects the main circuit breaker box to the subpanel in the garage and carries electricity from point "A" to point "B"."

Crazy.

lipower said:
That EVSE rebate is a tough one. Especially if you install the system yourself. Every receipt had to be accounted for, and every line item on every receipt needed to be numbered and detailed out in a separate spreadsheet defining its use in the system. The #8-3 wire needed three iterations of description before it was accepted as a requirement for the system. The final version that was accepted:

"The item #3 is the main electric line that connects the main circuit breaker box to the subpanel in the garage and carries electricity from point "A" to point "B"."

Crazy.

Yes, I didn't want to jinx it as I don't have my check in hand but I had several of the same types of things, my contractor was really helpful as the job was done, he's been paid, etc. but he was still helping to answer questions they had, etc. It's probably only worthwhile to post specifics if indeed this IL agency 'renews' the program beyond the 15th so others can learn the expectations that they are looking for -- you didn't mention it but did you get your check for this yet?

I decided not to apply for the rebate. Too much work and my electrician has come and gone. I asked if I could get one for at least the device purchased (bought at homeDepot). I was told it can only be provided for everything.

No point on issuing rebates if it's that hard to get one..

bwallach said:
I decided not to apply for the rebate. Too much work and my electrician has come and gone. I asked if I could get one for at least the device purchased (bought at homeDepot). I was told it can only be provided for everything.

No point on issuing rebates if it's that hard to get one..
+1. I am using the EVSEupgrade and installed a new 240V feed into the garage myself. The upgrade doesn't qualify for the rebate because the equipment is no longer UL certified. DIY electrical work is also difficult to justify on the application. So the combination of a non-certified EVSE and DIY wires were a no go.

(redLEAF) I didn't receive the rebate yet as I just completed the 4 day Q&A session last week. I completely understand the "not wanting the jinx the process".

(bwallach) I'm not sure who you talked to regarding receiving only a portion of your total install cost but the following quote is from the gentlemen I was working with on mine:

" If we can’t confirm and approve the costs from the sales slips, you will need to change your project budget and request your rebate based on the other costs that are approvable."

At that point only my charger had been approved and I needed to work through the other install costs but he made it sound like if I did not want to go through the hassle I could just adjust my numbers and get just the charger credit.

lipower said:
(bwallach) I'm not sure who you talked to regarding receiving only a portion of your total install cost but the following quote is from the gentlemen I was working with on mine:

I spoke directly to the contact listed on the rebate form. She said it was all or nothing. It might have been worth to send in anyway I suppose and see where it gets me (no harm)...

We emailed the contact in the EVSE rebate application instructions about getting an extension to file since we just purchased the vehicle and the reply indicated that starting June 16th they'd have another program for this purpose (or the same program but new funds, maybe?). So, I'll believe it when I see it, but here's to hoping this one is a little easier.

I just emailed the EV station rebate form. It took some effort dealing with aerovironment I'll cross my fingers.

I got a letter from the EPA yesterday. I messed up the rebate for my Volt and they rejected the Leaf for now.

The issue with the Volt form was that I accidentally put the Leaf's VIN on it (stupid). That is an easy fix.

The Leaf was rejected because the numberplate that was on the form did not match the VIN. As I sold the Leaf that is definitely the case. I send it back with an explanation why the license plate is different but I am worried that they will reject it because I sold the Leaf.

My Volt might have become a lot more expensive.

I send everything back and keeping my fingers crossed.

dutchinchicago said:
I got a letter from the EPA yesterday. I messed up the rebate for my Volt and they rejected the Leaf for now.

The issue with the Volt form was that I accidentally put the Leaf's VIN on it (stupid). That is an easy fix.

The Leaf was rejected because the numberplate that was on the form did not match the VIN. As I sold the Leaf that is definitely the case. I send it back with an explanation why the license plate is different but I am worried that they will reject it because I sold the Leaf.

My Volt might have become a lot more expensive.

I send everything back and keeping my fingers crossed.

Really sorry to hear that ... I'm a bit surprised that the IL EPA didn't simply call you versus sending a letter but perhaps like you said, it probably passed the first few hurdles and then the last check it failed due to the VIN mis-match; hopefully you'll still make this mid-year processing batch still but otherwise could end up like I did as well waiting the extra 6 months. The IL EPA rebate site doesn't mention how long you're to 'own' the car so would think you're probably still OK. I'm still hopeful that both my rebates (EV and EVSE) are on their way but we'll see!

Just got a call from "Jason" saying my EV rebate was being held up because my W-9 wasn't included. Am firing that off right now. So at least the state is communicating rather than just filing our papers with no recourse or money! This month's Car & Driver has an article on the leaf. It shows how different tires affect cornering loads. Very informative. Air conditioning doesn't seem to effect range too much, and isn't parasitic on the motor. Any one know what drives the compressor ? It works quite well at 91 degrees right now. The Bronto Utes really have to chug to keep up with the Leaf . After about three stoplights they notice their gas guage declining and give it up!

tech01 said:
Just got a call from "Jason" saying my EV rebate was being held up because my W-9 wasn't included. Am firing that off right now. So at least the state is communicating rather than just filing our papers with no recourse or money! This month's Car & Driver has an article on the leaf. It shows how different tires affect cornering loads. Very informative. Air conditioning doesn't seem to effect range too much, and isn't parasitic on the motor. Any one know what drives the compressor ? It works quite well at 91 degrees right now. The Bronto Utes really have to chug to keep up with the Leaf . After about three stoplights they notice their gas guage declining and give it up!

Talked to same guy, Jason 'D' with IL EPA back on June 13th, he is basically the first one to look at your paperwork so don't get too excited as it has other hurdles to get through ... as you'll see from my sign' line I sent mine in on 12/27/11 and had called them about 5 weeks or so ago and was told they had my paperwork but whoever answered said that it was tagged 'for additional review'; what I needed to send passed muster for Jason but he needs to send it up through the chain from there. Many folks got their checks early on (see way back on this thread towards the beginning of '12) but others did not so this recent flurry of activity is encouraging at least.

Tardis said:
My check arrived today. Feels great

So the letter yesterday is for the EVSE rebate ? (I had looked back through the thread and see that you mentioned your EV rebate check back in April) -- if so how much did they approve you for, would be good for others to know ... mine will be for $605.25 (half the install + half the cost of the Schneider EVlink); I also received the same letter and returned it to them on May 30 so be prepared to wait a bit (no check yet). And indeed, going back through my paper/email trail had a few more questions from the IL DCEO (Dept. of Commerce & Economic Opportunity) even after payment was approved; all was well in the end as between my contractor and myself we satisfied their requirements but be sure to keep an eye out for any follow ups. I'm thinking about 30 days from the approval but we'll see!!

redLEAF said:
Tardis said:
My check arrived today. Feels great

So the letter yesterday is for the EVSE rebate ? (I had looked back through the thread and see that you mentioned your EV rebate check back in April) -- if so how much did they approve you for, would be good for others to know ... mine will be for $605.25 (half the install + half the cost of the Schneider EVlink); I also received the same letter and returned it to them on May 30 so be prepared to wait a bit (no check yet). And indeed, going back through my paper/email trail had a few more questions from the IL DCEO (Dept. of Commerce & Economic Opportunity) even after payment was approved; all was well in the end as between my contractor and myself we satisfied their requirements but be sure to keep an eye out for any follow ups. I'm thinking about 30 days from the approval but we'll see!!

This rebate is for the EVSE. I had mine installed through Nissan and Aerovironment. My rebate is 1100. I had a couple follow ups that I addressed before this letter. The letter states that it must be post marked within 10 days of receipt. I'm glad I'm not on vacation. I received the ev car rebate several months ago.

Does anyone have contact details for the EPA? I tried to find someone to talk to about the leaf rebate but did not get anywhere through the switchboard.

dutchinchicago said:
Does anyone have contact details for the EPA? I tried to find someone to talk to about the leaf rebate but did not get anywhere through the switchboard.

sent you a PM

Back