Concept Good. Giant Fish Design Bad.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bicster said:
Nissan has stated that they sacrificed Cd in the Leaf in order to make the car as functional and comfortable as possible. Seems fair to me.

True - but I'd guess it needs to be better than Versa, which was not designed for better cd (I guess). I mean, whats the point of the huge headlights, smooth underbelly etc if the cd is no better than an average sedan.

It was designed in a wind tunnel. So Cd was very important to the designers. The only compromise was the roof line did not tail off as quickly as required to reduce drag. The Leaf designers told me that they needed the rear headroom to make it comfortable.

LeafHopper said:
It was designed in a wind tunnel. So Cd was very important to the designers. The only compromise was the roof line did not tail off as quickly as required to reduce drag. The Leaf designers told me that they needed the rear headroom to make it comfortable.

Yes, you can see the result in the prius/leaf size comparison diagrams. Leaf has better backseat headroom.

My aerodynamic design:
item.jpg

I think the Leaf has a higher rear roofline to give "better" headroom, needed because the rear passenger seats are considerably higher.

For example numbers only, if the roof is 1 inch higher and the seats 2 inches higher, the resulting headroom would be 1 inch LESS.

Remember I said the Leaf has a drag coefficient of 0.29? That fact is straight from Nissan. Check out this interview with Nissan's Mark Perry (the relevant statement is at 10:30, but the whole clip is worth watching if you haven't yet) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVwtwhvmK0I

Back