Cost and time of 220v vs 110?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
If anyone wants to know any highly accurate information about the Leaf's systems, I might have already recorded it, feel free to ask!
Have you checked the difference in battery pack temperature sitting in the shade all day vs. sitting in the sun all day at a given ambient temperature? This would be valuable information for the solar loading factor I am trying to add to my battery aging model.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions earlier! You helped me make the plunge and this weekend my husband and I picked up our new Ocean Blue SL.

Currently using 120V charging, we will probably order from ESVE upgrade at some point soon --maybe sometime when I am out of town for work and can do without a charger for a week or so :)

I also wanted to say our dealer was great-- allowed us to take their demo leaf home & see if it would fit in the garage and make rue it would charge on the 120v outlet. The garage outlet wasn't up to the task (flashing light) so we are using the kitchen outlet (garage is attached to the kitchen). Salesperson was a leaf owner herself, so very knowledgeable & helpful!

EvaLeaf said:
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions earlier! You helped me make the plunge and this weekend my husband and I picked up our new Ocean Blue SL.

Currently using 120V charging, we will probably order from ESVE upgrade at some point soon --maybe sometime when I am out of town for work and can do without a charger for a week or so :)

I also wanted to say our dealer was great-- allowed us to take their demo leaf home & see if it would fit in the garage and make rue it would charge on the 120v outlet. The garage outlet wasn't up to the task (flashing light) so we are using the kitchen outlet (garage is attached to the kitchen). Salesperson was a leaf owner herself, so very knowledgeable & helpful!

Congrats on your new Leaf. As a backup to my Blink EVSE in the garage, I got the EVSE upgrade from Phil just recently. It works like a charm; and Phil had it back to me in 5 days from when I sent it to him for modification. GREAT service, and highly recommended. :)

Ingineer said:
Congrats on your Leaf!

The Flashing Light indicates your Garage outlet has a broken ground wire. Should be an easy fix.

-Phil
...and you should get it fixed regardless of whether you think you need it for EV charging.

Ingineer said:
Congrats on your Leaf!

The Flashing Light indicates your Garage outlet has a broken ground wire. Should be an easy fix.

-Phil
I got a flashing light on an outlet at my Mom's house a couple of weeks ago so I went over there with one of those three-LED outlet testers to see what to fix. Unfortunately, the tester showed the outlet to be fine. It was late, so I didn't dig into her wiring, but I will eventually. Can you give me an idea of what the EVSEUpgrade might test that the outlet tester did not? TIA!

RegGuheert said:
I got a flashing light on an outlet at my Mom's house a couple of weeks ago so I went over there with one of those three-LED outlet testers to see what to fix. Unfortunately, the tester showed the outlet to be fine. It was late, so I didn't dig into her wiring, but I will eventually. Can you give me an idea of what the EVSEUpgrade might test that the outlet tester did not? TIA!
The Outlet testers are usually made with NE-2 Neon bulbs which will still light even with a high-resistance path. Chances are it wasn't grounded properly, but had enough leakage to light the Neon. The EVSE passes a small current through the ground circuit to determine if it has continuity, which is more than the outlet tester needs to call it grounded.

A failed bonding at your main panel can cause also this if the ground conductor checks out good.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
The Outlet testers are usually made with NE-2 Neon bulbs which will still light even with a high-resistance path. Chances are it wasn't grounded properly, but had enough leakage to light the Neon. The EVSE passes a small current through the ground circuit to determine if it has continuity, which is more than the outlet tester needs to call it grounded.

A failed bonding at your main panel can cause also this if the ground conductor checks out good.

-Phil
O.K. Thanks, Phil! I'll check it out the next time I'm over there.

Back