Deciding to keep or trade-in 2011 Leaf @ 3 year ownership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoaty said:
What about all the heater problems reported for the 2013 and later Leafs?
'11-12 LEAFs had similar problems, but sold in much lower volumes so wasn't reported as frequently.

Only Nissan knows the actual failure rate on them. Dealers may have some insight, too.

Well, she's gone. I turned in my '11 LEAF yesterday. I truly enjoyed the car, and had every intention of buying it off-lease when I first got it. In fact, my wife had to insist that I lease it instead of buying it. Sadly, the battery degradation proved to be too much. I was down 2 bars, and down to about 60 miles range (from 80 or so when new) and I was increasingly having to forgo weekend use, or plan those days around charging. I'm sure that by the end of the summer, We'd have been often driving the ICE instead on weekends.

If/when Nissan improves the battery degradation, I will happily consider coming back, but I want my cars to go ten+ years, not just barely three.

davewill said:
Well, she's gone. I turned in my '11 LEAF yesterday. I truly enjoyed to the car, and had every intention of buying it off-lease when I first got it. In fact, my wife had to insist that I lease it instead of buying it. Sadly, the battery degradation proved to be too much. I was down 2 bars, and down to about 60 miles range (from 80 or so when new) and I was increasingly having to forgo weekend use, or plan those days around charging. I'm sure that by the end of the summer, We'd have been often driving the ICE instead on weekends.

If/when Nissan improves the battery degradation, I will happily consider coming back, but I want my cars to go ten+ years, not just barely three.
Welcome to the club.

davewill said:
Valdemar said:
Did you buy your RAV4?
No, but I have hopes of doing so. If I decide to, I'll pony up for an extended warranty.

I don't know if buying an unsupported/discontinued vehicle in 3 years will be any better than buying one with questionable battery. If I were to replace my Leaf I'd probably just leased another one for 24 months.

Valdemar said:
I don't know if buying an unsupported/discontinued vehicle in 3 years will be any better than buying one with questionable battery. ...
I don't either, that's why I leased again, even though I don't like to. Both Toyota and Tesla should be around to support it, and I suspect that it will be the most popular of the compliance vehicles, long term, simply because of the big battery. I liked the Spark, but it was just too small in the end. It was the RAV or Volt on my final list. The LEAF, in a lot of ways is ideal, but without a better battery, I won't choose it again.

Valdemar said:
I don't know if buying an unsupported/discontinued vehicle in 3 years will be any better than buying one with questionable battery. If I were to replace my Leaf I'd probably just leased another one for 24 months.
I thought ten year support was required by law if the vehicle is sold.

smkettner said:
Valdemar said:

The question is how fast can they fix it/get parts if there is a problem.

davewill said:
Well, she's gone. I turned in my '11 LEAF yesterday. I truly enjoyed the car, and had every intention of buying it off-lease when I first got it. In fact, my wife had to insist that I lease it instead of buying it. Sadly, the battery degradation proved to be too much. I was down 2 bars, and down to about 60 miles range (from 80 or so when new) and I was increasingly having to forgo weekend use, or plan those days around charging. I'm sure that by the end of the summer, We'd have been often driving the ICE instead on weekends.

Hi Dave, are you able to share some data- how many months and miles driven from losing the 1st and followed by losing the 2nd bar ?

Thanks.

My 1st bar was gone after 21 months/33k miles. That was last May. Closing in on 50k miles now, still have 11 bars but likely for not for much longer. Can still do 60-70 miles in mixed cycle. It feels that most of my range losses occurred during 1st year and now it is more gradual, but I have no data to back that up.

mxp said:
Hi Dave, are you able to share some data- how many months and miles driven from losing the 1st and followed by losing the 2nd bar ?

Thanks.
There's plenty of that sort of data in the wiki. Lost the first one over the summer, and the second a couple of weeks ago. Turned it in with 35k miles.

Valdemar said:
My 1st bar was gone after 21 months/33k miles. That was last May. Closing in on 50k miles now, still have 11 bars but likely for not for much longer. Can still do 60-70 miles in mixed cycle. It feels that most of my range losses occurred during 1st year and now it is more gradual, but I have no data to back that up.

Hi Valdemar,
Thanks for your data point. Sounds like you're still able to keep going for 20k miles at 11 bars. That's really good.
Do you only charge to 80% after losing the 1st bar? What's your charging strategy?

If I do decide to keep my MY2011 and deal with the loss of bars; I hope to achieve what you did....

davewill said:
mxp said:

Thanks.
There's plenty of that sort of data in the wiki. Lost the first one over the summer, and the second a couple of weeks ago. Turned it in with 35k miles.

Thanks Dave. I am not sure if the weather in SD accelerated your loss of bars.... but, you're in a nicer EV now. :)

mxp said:
... Thanks Dave. I am not sure if the weather in SD accelerated your loss of bars.... but, you're in a nicer EV now. :)
No, it seems to be in line with what other SoCal LEAFers have reported...fast enough to affect use of the car, slow enough to make it questionable that I would have been able to use the capacity warranty.

mxp said:
Valdemar said:

Hi Valdemar,
Thanks for your data point. Sounds like you're still able to keep going for 20k miles at 11 bars. That's really good.
Do you only charge to 80% after losing the 1st bar? What's your charging strategy?

If I do decide to keep my MY2011 and deal with the loss of bars; I hope to achieve what you did....

I charged to 80% almost exclusively up until last August on the end of charge timer, from that point on it is pretty much 100% daily on the end of charge timer because my commute changed. I usually leave within 30 minutes of charge completion. The general thought is that charging to 100% does little harm to the battery as long as you don't let it sit fully charged at high temperatures. Btw, the 80% setting was eliminated on the 2014 model which indirectly supports this theory. I suspect my battery performed better than average for my region because of my charging patterns and the fact the car had little sun loading during the day because it was parked under ground at work. YMMV, but you should expect losing the second bar within a year from the first one. My philosophy on the trade-in is to keep the car until it no longer conveniently works for your needs and save money.

edatoakrun said:
< cut >
I also am thinking about the extended warranty.

My LEAF has been to the dealer for repairs twice in ~34 months, for the (expensive, no doubt) nav CPU replacement in August 2012, and a 12 volt battery replacement last week.

Anyone know the dealers offering the best current price on the warranty?

You may probably already know that the old favourite on the forum is "Nissan Santa Rosa".

Leaf Gold Preferred 96m/100k is $1,297.00 ($100 deductible plan) (includes a $100 fee for a 12k - 36k mileage vehicle)

Leaf Gold Preferred 96m/100k is $1,597.00 ($0 deductible plan) (includes a $100 fee for a 12k - 36k mileage vehicle)

If anyone else has a better quote, pls share!....

dgpcolorado said:
smkettner said:
I believe this is an urban legend. Often mentioned but no such law seems to exist.
Maybe it is an urban legend but it might be related to govt requirements on safety defects and recalls. From http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense – and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.
Perhaps that's where the urban legend (?) comes from?

Back