Detroit Electric Sports EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drivesolo

Just a teaser form Detroit Electric. According to the article there should be more info next month.

detroit-electric-ev-teaser-628.jpg

Details on the new vehicle are only teased, but the new Detroit Electric company will unveil its all-electric, two-seat sports car early next month, so we don't have too long to wait. The show debut will happen at the Shanghai Auto Show later in that month, where Detroit Electric will "share an exciting announcement about a major partnership with a global carmaker." After all these years of silence, Detroit Electric is moving fast, and will start production of the new EV in Michigan in August. Annual capacity is supposed to be 2,500 cars.

Link to Autoblog Article:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/19/detroit-electric-returns-with-100-electric-sports-car-teaser/

Ok, my guess... some unemployed American car executives cut a deal with GM to use a Corvette chassis and threw in some GM Volt-like guts in it (similar to the Bob Lutz company that takes GM pickup trucks and puts electrics behind a GM V-6 engine).

1. Poaching the old Detroit Electric name is sad. I wonder if it was public domain or not?
2. It won't have either a Frankenplug nor a CHAdeMO nor a Tesla... it will have a NEW DC charge standard.
3. It will be nothing like a Tesla effort, or you would have already heard about it !!!
4. Way out there idea... somehow, it is sold as a GM product and offered in California for CARB credits.
5. If it sells for a Rav4 EV price ($50k), expect Rav4 type sales numbers (a few hundred since Sept 2012).
6. I don't know that the world needs another EV conversion car.
7. It can't perform worse than a Fisker!!!

Ok, I read the linked article... UK business man from Lotus (who supplied the bodies for Tesla Roadsters) sounds like he's reviving the generation 1 Tesla concept).

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/1292-Converted-Lotus-Elises-ECE-Detroit-Electric" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a Lotus Elise SC. Notice any similarities?

2011-Lotus-Elise-SC-Final-Edition-Front.jpg

Here's my guess:

- It is mainly hype at this point
- Lotus chassis
- A Ford Powertrain from the FFEV
- Performance specs will not be too impressive but may be overblown to aid the hype
- Will claim Frankenplug but will be secretly thinking CHAdeMO

Drivesolo said:
Performance specs will not be too impressive but may be overblown to aid the hype

Heck, the GM Spark has "400 ft/lbs" of torque, but they fail to stipulate where that measurement is taken. Of course, it's taken after the gear reduction "torque multiplier" and is not the actual motor output.

Until the EV market is regulated like the oil burners, we will continue to have "100 mile LEAFs" with "24kWh batteries" that lose 20% range in 5 years and 30% in 10 years (without any consideration for heat impact).

Whether these guys succeed or not, I have to wonder if more of these players appearing on the scene causes the "establishment" to take notice, and perhaps start/stoke their own EV projects a little more on a "just in case this stuff takes off" basis.

TonyWilliams said:
Drivesolo said:
Performance specs will not be too impressive but may be overblown to aid the hype

My thinking is that if there was a chance that this EV could come close to the performance numbers of the Model S or Roadster they would've played it up somehow in the teaser info that they've released.

I love the idea of a Tesla-like 85kWh batt in the body of an C7 Vette. It would be kinda like the reverse of what Destino did to a Fisker Karma.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/01/18/bob-lutz-destino-is-the-fisker-karma-people-will-actually-want/

But I think something akin to a Tesla Roadster may be what they're pitching.

for that price I can get a 60kWh Model S for my in town driving and a BMW 550i for long distance. The S is almost the performance that this one is except that it seats 5. I was excited about this car until yesterday when I saw the price. It is about double what they should be asking. I'll just wait a couple of years for the New Tesla roadster, and if I want a roadster in the mean time I'll get a CPO Roadster from Tesla. http://www.teslamotors.com/preowned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back