Differences between green and white Aerovironment units?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gneier said:
Thanks Mwalsh, Good to get confirmation... now the next mystery: why does my city want to charge $400 for the permit? :roll:

Because that is how they make money.

Yea, they are trying to make money.. and perhaps track what is going on. Most revenue comes from taxes however.. the high permit cost really only encourages people to avoid getting permits.

well I don't know if this is still true, BUT the green version was their "dumb" evse - i.e. just plug and charge. The white one had/has the capability for wireless connect and all the other fancy stuff. But, you need a company with the service to use it (i.e. eVgo). My evse through eVgo had to be the white one because of it. AV also on their own site will not sell the white version (since it should only be for companies that are utilizing the wireless portion of the evse). If this color scheme still holds true, I would get the white one or get it just in case. Since amazon has it for the same price, might as well get the one with the better guts for potential future proofing.

Pipcecil said:
well I don't know if this is still true, BUT the green version was their "dumb" evse - i.e. just plug and charge. The white one had/has the capability for wireless connect and all the other fancy stuff. But, you need a company with the service to use it (i.e. eVgo). My evse through eVgo had to be the white one because of it. AV also on their own site will not sell the white version (since it should only be for companies that are utilizing the wireless portion of the evse). If this color scheme still holds true, I would get the white one or get it just in case. Since amazon has it for the same price, might as well get the one with the better guts for potential future proofing.

Yes..... and the green one is UGLY!

I bought the green AV unit a few weeks ago (Amazon was having a special). It might not be pretty, but communication with Carwings seems to work fine. Like others I suspect the only difference between the green and white versions is paint.

My green one has a serial port and meter port, but AV told me those were just dumb ports. I'm guessing maybe these ports are enabled on the white version? If that's the case, I regret not getting the white one, as I would love to be able to monitor the EVSE power usage etc using the onboard connectors.

bump. I just bought a leaf. Is there a final verdict on the differences between the latest white and green Aerovironment models? Are there ports disabled or is it just the paint and nissan branding?

Back