DRL installation question For Ingineer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhog

So I have been trying to figure out where to tap in to supply power to a set of DRL's. I tried installing an add a circuit and fuse to fuse #10 in the underhood fuse block. That worked. But, the DRL's would remain on while the car was charging. I don't know if that is a bad thing so I disconnected from there. Somebody did it by using wire taps on wire #52 out of the IPDM. But I REALLY do not like using wire taps if there is any other way. Someone on the forum suggested fuse #5 in the fuse block on the left side of the dash. As far as I know, nobody has confirmed that this works. Plus, it would require trying to fish a wire through one of the bulkhead grommets. I would really like to find somewhere under the hood that I could connect to that would a. not require wire taps, b. not have the DRL's on during charging, and c. not be harmful to the car or systems. HELP PLEASE. :?

Take a look at the DRL thread and it will tell you where to tap off in the under-hood fuse box. It is a red wire but I don't now remember which fuse it was off the top of my head. It will cause the DRLs to come on only when the car is powered up not when it is charging.

rawhog said:
So I have been trying to figure out where to tap in to supply power to a set of DRL's.

You could just leave your headlights on too. They'll turn off a bit after the car is shut down.

I was going to install the aftermarket DRLs in the DRL thread, and even bought them and the appropriate wire tap. But I've seen aftermarket DRLs on a few other cars on the road, and they look dim and lame compared to the ones you see on MBz and Audi. I think you'd want an LED assembly that draws most of an ampere to be bright enough to be assertive in daylight.

TomT, I have seen all of the suggestions in that thread. The one you are referring to is the one that uses a wire tap on wire #52 out of the back of the IPDM. As I mentioned, I would prefer not using wire taps.

DeaneG, The DRL's I am looking at are from Superbright leds.com, 400 lumens and a bit over a half amp.

So is it a bad idea to power them the way I did in my first attempt?

Has anyone looked into the wiring differences between Canadian and US LEAFs (service manuals?) for clues as to how DRLs work on the Canadian models? Sorry if that's an ignorant question. I assume the Canadian DRLs just run the headlights at lower intensity.

(I'd be inclined to just leave my headlights on. Do they draw that much power?)

The ones I used (and referenced in the thread) are very bright and quite visible in broad daylight. I'd say that they are nearly as visible as the MBZ, Audi and BMW versions... They attract a lot more attention that just leaving the headlights on which are much more directional...

DeaneG said:
I was going to install the aftermarket DRLs in the DRL thread, and even bought them and the appropriate wire tap. But I've seen aftermarket DRLs on a few other cars on the road, and they look dim and lame compared to the ones you see on MBz and Audi. I think you'd want an LED assembly that draws most of an ampere to be bright enough to be assertive in daylight.

There is a spot in the fuse box for a DRL fuse. But, there are no fuse holders or supply voltage wire. I would LOVE to see a Canadian model wiring diagram to see where they bring that power from. I would add fuse holders and that wire in a heartbeat if I knew where it originates. That would be the elegant solution I am searching for.

Maybe someone from the North could visit their local $tealership and ask them nicely for a printout of that page of the service manual? (I don't know how Nissan dealers are in general with that kind of request, but Canadians are pretty nice people, eh?)

rawhog said:
There is a spot in the fuse box for a DRL fuse. But, there are no fuse holders or supply voltage wire. I would LOVE to see a Canadian model wiring diagram to see where they bring that power from. I would add fuse holders and that wire in a heartbeat if I knew where it originates. That would be the elegant solution I am searching for.
Definitely post back here when you figure it out. I would love to do the exact same thing on my Leaf as I prefer having DRL!

rawhog said:
TomT, I have seen all of the suggestions in that thread. The one you are referring to is the one that uses a wire tap on wire #52 out of the back of the IPDM. As I mentioned, I would prefer not using wire taps.

Is it just the vampire tap that you object to?

A fuse extender might work for you giving a more reliable connection and not require piercing any insulation.

atc_add_a_fuse.jpg

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d137_fuse_holders.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nubo, The crimp type taps that pierce the insulation are the ones I do not care for. Had shorts broken conductors, corroded wire etc. from using those. The item you pictured is what I was referring to as an add a circuit. That is exactly what I used. I would use it in a heartbeat if I could find the right fused circuit under the hood. The problem is that wire #52 is not from a fuse. I have posted in the Canadian sub forum asking if someone would be willing to send along a wiring diagram.

rawhog said:
....The DRL's I am looking at are from Superbright leds.com, 400 lumens and a bit over a half amp.
Or the 350 lumen version with a top-mount bracket. I'll try to return my weaker Superbrightleds units.

Hello from the great white north I will go to a dealer and see what I can find out. I may be looking at getting a Leaf from the US, car this could be helpful up here as well.

Talked to the parts department of our local Nissan dealer today and he does not have schematics for the electrical system on the Leaf. Guess you are left with the hacks that others came up with. There is a Leaf technician on the forum who posted a method of installing a backup camera in a SV, he may be able to help.

Back