Effects below -1 F when not plugged in

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyEV9

I am considering purchasing a 2013 low miles Leaf.

The manual clearly states that a 2013 Leaf should be plugged in at a temperature below -4 Fahrenheit.

Obviously, that is to heat the Lion battery.

Question: What is the damage to the battery when the car is NOT plugged in at that low of a temperature.

Situation: I am considering purchasing a 2013 Leaf that would likely be parked unplugged during some short periods of below -4F while we are away. What damage to the battery would I expect?

Page 24 starts the discussion of expected precautions at -1 F. What happens if the battery freezes?

The Li-ion battery warmer does not oper-
ate if the available Li-ion battery charge
is less than approximately 30% and the
charger is not connected to the vehicle.
To help prevent the Li-ion battery from
freezing, do not leave the vehicle in an
environment if temperatures may go be-
low -1°F (-17°C) unless the vehicle is con-
nected to a charger.

The Li-ion battery warmer helps to prevent the
Li-ion battery from freezing and helps to prevent
significant reductions in the Li-ion battery output
when the temperature is cold. The Li-ion battery
warmer automatically turns on when the Li-ion
battery temperature is approximately -1°F
(-17°C) or colder. The Li-ion battery warmer au-
tomatically turns off when the Li-ion battery tem-
perture is approximately 14°F (-10°C) or higher.
The Li-ion battery warmer uses electrical power
from an external source when a charger is con-
nected to the vehicle. The Li-ion battery warmer
uses electrical power from the Li-ion battery
when the charger is not connected to the vehicle.

Don't worry about a few hours at that temp. The mass of the battery pack stops it from both heating and cooling rapidly. Nissan's description isn't wrong, but it's a bit over-emphasized. The battery warmer only uses 300 watts, so if you start with, say, 80% charge, it will take a few days to get it down to the 30% shutoff. If the weather stays below about 10F for days or weeks, though, then you want to make sure that the car is either plugged in (the L-1 charging cable that came with the car is good for this) or that it has enough charge, or is in a warm enough garage (10F or higher) to keep the battery from cooling too much.

Now, about that 2013 leaf you want to buy: have you read my used Leaf buying guide? It' s especially important in the case of the 2013 Leaf, because those Leafs that were built from January of 2013 through March of 2013 have the same lousy battery chemistry as the 2011 & 2012 Leafs, despite a model year refresh that was fairly extensive. I'll link the guide shortly.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26662&p=538030

Been doing a lot of research on my newly acquired 2022 Leaf SV+, I have looked at the battery development from when it was first introduced to the 62 kw pack available now. On YouTube, Weber Auto did a complete teardown and re-assembly of a 2011 pack. As far as the concern if the pack cells do get below 0 degrees F. The electrolyte can freeze and damage the cells. To prevent this at least it appears in the gen 1 packs, resistance heater plates are installed to prevent this provided the main pack has enough charge to run them. The thermostatic control of the heaters would switch on a around 1.4 degrees F, and switch off at 14 degrees. Looks like the gen 2 packs probably use the same kind of system. As commented, it would take a very long "soak" at sub zero temps to bring unheated cells down that far. If I get a forecast here for subzero temps, I'll attach the charger, just to be safe.

The thermostatic control of the heaters would switch on a around 1.4 degrees F, and switch off at 14 degrees.

The battery warmer comes on when the pack temp is about 7-8F. It uses ~300 watts.

Looks like the gen 2 packs probably use the same kind of system.

The 40kwh packs use it. The 62kwh packs use a small electrical load on the battery to generate enough heat to keep them from freezing. What exactly is the load? That's the Mystery Of The Month here.

Back