End of Lease, Vampire Drain Settlement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voganni

I had my 2013 Leaf inspected and returned it on Jan. 6, about 6 months early. I was going to wait a little longer, but a gorgeous 2013 Volt came into my life and I couldn't pass it up. For where I live, with charging infrastructure still in the Flintstone era, the Volt is the way to go.

The inspector found no chargeable damage. $70 worth of rock chips and scuffs were noted, none chargeable. He informed me that Nissan is quite lenient on damage. There can be under-2" DENTS in most areas without being charged!

As noted elsewhere on this forum, my Leaf had a vampire drain issue since it was new that was never resolved. Two dealers looked at it, and the one I bought it from actually observed the issue on a DC clamp ammeter. So it was documented. Nissan authorized a new 12v battery, which did not fix anything (no surprise there). My belief is that the problem was in the brake control unit. The same near-1amp drain at the battery also appeared at the power brake unit. At the suggestion of the Service Manager at Wendle Motors, where I leased the car, I contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and opened a case to hopefully recover some of my early termination costs. I got a call today from a lady named Chelsea informing me that Nissan was willing to pay me $500 towards my lease termination! I though this was fair and accepted. She said to send her a photocopy of the check I was sending off to NMAC and she would immediately cut me a check. So I informed her that I'd post a favorable review on this forum. I enjoyed my Leaf a lot. The intermittent battery drain was a PITA, and for the sake of other Leaf owners who are experiencing dead battery issues, I wish it could have gotten resolved. I purchased a DC clamp meter just to look for the culprit.

I do want to thank the folks at Consumer Affairs for their fair treatment of my case. Bill

voganni said:
I had my 2013 Leaf inspected and returned it on Jan. 6, about 6 months early. I was going to wait a little longer, but a gorgeous 2013 Volt came into my life and I couldn't pass it up. For where I live, with charging infrastructure still in the Flintstone era, the Volt is the way to go.

The inspector found no chargeable damage. $70 worth of rock chips and scuffs were noted, none chargeable. He informed me that Nissan is quite lenient on damage. There can be under-2" DENTS in most areas without being charged!

As noted elsewhere on this forum, my Leaf had a vampire drain issue since it was new that was never resolved. Two dealers looked at it, and the one I bought it from actually observed the issue on a DC clamp ammeter. So it was documented. Nissan authorized a new 12v battery, which did not fix anything (no surprise there). My belief is that the problem was in the brake control unit. The same near-1amp drain at the battery also appeared at the power brake unit. At the suggestion of the Service Manager at Wendle Motors, where I leased the car, I contact Nissan Consumer Affairs and opened a case to hopefully recover some of my early termination costs. I got a call today from a lady named Chelsea informing me that Nissan was willing to pay me $500 towards my lease termination! I though this was fair and accepted. She said to send her a photocopy of the check I was sending off to NMAC and she would immediately cut me a check. So I informed her that I'd post a favorable review on this forum. I enjoyed my Leaf a lot. The intermittent battery drain was a PITA, and for the sake of other Leaf owners who are experiencing dead battery issues, I wish it could have gotten resolved. I purchased a DC clamp meter just to look for the culprit.

I do want to thank the folks at Consumer Affairs for their fair treatment of my case. Bill
Good all the way around.

Thanks for posting this.

greengate said:
voganni said:

Good all the way around.

Thanks for posting this.

Bad for the sucker that will purchase it.

I so wish that Nissan could figure this out. We have the same problem, I saw the just under 1 amp load as well and cycling the on/off switch made it go away. But I am not going to check for that every time I shut the car off and there is no way my wife will and she is the primary driver.

In our case everything else has been great with the car. We have been driving it last week, it never got above 0F or -17C and charging to 100% every day usually running about 40 miles and making it home with about 20% charge. So far this has worked.

Honestly if the vampire drain wasn't there I think we would buy this car at the end of the lease, but with it I just can't get myself to want to deal with it. I am hoping in the next year they find the drain and come up with a fix.

BrockWI said:
I so wish that Nissan could figure this out. We have the same problem, I saw the just under 1 amp load as well and cycling the on/off switch made it go away. But I am not going to check for that every time I shut the car off and there is no way my wife will and she is the primary driver.

In our case everything else has been great with the car. We have been driving it last week, it never got above 0F or -17C and charging to 100% every day usually running about 40 miles and making it home with about 20% charge. So far this has worked.

Honestly if the vampire drain wasn't there I think we would buy this car at the end of the lease, but with it I just can't get myself to want to deal with it. I am hoping in the next year they find the drain and come up with a fix.
Are you working with a dealer or opened a case with Nissan?

I talked to the dealer and the leaf tech and they said they hadn't heard anything about that. They said the next time it happens to have it towed in so they can look at it. I have been trickle charging it if it sits more than a day to avoid issues.

I should add that I had been charging to 80% until recently, with the sub zero temps we have charging to 100% and I have noticed the 12v aux battery comes up to "full" with the Deltran battery tender much more quickly now even with a lot more 12v loads running, seat heaters, more fan for heat and steering wheel. I am guessing the longer time it is sitting balancing towards 100% the longer it charges the 12v aux battery as well.

I believe the battery heater is run from the traction pack although it might turn on some 12v loads as well. In my cases it was spring / summer so in the 60's to 70's.

I have an "S" so I don't have carwings...

I leased my Leaf in July. 100° over here! Not the battery heater. When mine started its vampire drain, it would not stop until the battery was disconnected for a bit. Seemed like the longer the battery was unhooked, the longer it would be before the drain returned. Two months was my record. I thought it was fixed, but no. After I bought my clamp meter I could monitor the drain without disconnecting the battery to put an ammeter on it, which is very difficult without breaking the connection. Even a second would trigger a reset.

And yes, the problem is NOBODY (at Nissan) seems to have a clue. But the problem was observed by the Service Manager at Wendle Motors, and he really wanted to get ahold of it again.

If you can catch it in the act, and have a DC clamp meter, you could show a tech the problem. In my case, disconnecting the battery, which is the first thing the techs do to hook up the Nissan battery tester, would reset the computer and the drain would be gone.

I think it was a brake problem, bad supercapacitor or something. The brake control unit was the only place beside the battery where the drain was near 1 amp.

BrockWI said:
I believe the battery heater is run from the traction pack although it might turn on some 12v loads as well. In my cases it was spring / summer so in the 60's to 70's.

I have an "S" so I don't have carwings...

I didn't remember it was an S. Which makes me ask: does the S even have the cellular transceiver?

My 2015 LEAF S does not have any cellular connectivity. I cannot use CarWings or remote pre-heat/pre-cool my car. (I can use the timers for charging and pre-heating/cooling on the dash though.)

voganni said:
...Two dealers looked at it, and the one I bought it from actually observed the issue on a DC clamp ammeter. So it was documented. ... My belief is that the problem was in the brake control unit. The same near-1amp drain at the battery also appeared at the power brake unit. ...
Why didn't they replace the brake control unit?

They would have had to keep it for several days. They wanted me to bring it back for more testing, but I found my Volt instead.

Got my $500 check from Nissan yesterday! It does pay to make some noise sometimes....... :lol:

Back