End of Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Parking Decal Program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtegg

Just got a snail-mail from the state of California DMV that they are ending the program because of the new law. The rule changes (quoted from the letter) are as follows:

1) Only a vehicle that is connected to an electronic charging station may park in a ZEV designated parking space
2) A ZEV Parking Decal is no longer required to park in a ZEV designated parking space
3) If the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes, the vehicle may be subject to tow/impound

So, it looks like my little square decal will be a collector's item ;)

The sticker will remain to be useful, at least for some. For example the City of Santa Monica offers free metered parking for electric vehicles showing the ZEV decal.

curtegg said:
3) If the vehicle is not connected for electric charging purposes, the vehicle may be subject to tow/impound

Yikes.. So if I'm at a 4 hour meeting, you pull up and notice that I'm all charged so you unplug me to plug your car in, I'll get towed?

Not to mention that at one of our charging stations they had a problem with teens unplugging cars "for the fun of it". How much more fun will it be for them if they can watch the car get towed.

Sometimes I wonder about the intelligence of our government officials.

BGog said:
Yikes.. So if I'm at a 4 hour meeting, you pull up and notice that I'm all charged so you unplug me to plug your car in, I'll get towed?

Not to mention that at one of our charging stations they had a problem with teens unplugging cars "for the fun of it". How much more fun will it be for them if they can watch the car get towed.

Well, no time like the present to buy a few 'luggage locks' to keep in the glove compartment. Shame that I'll have to remember to lock-on every time I charge in public and stop any chance of sharing with my fellow EV drivers. Better than being towed, though.

Tugrik said:
BGog said:

Well, no time like the present to buy a few 'luggage locks' to keep in the glove compartment. Shame that I'll have to remember to lock-on every time I charge in public and stop any chance of sharing with my fellow EV drivers. Better than being towed, though.

not all the EVSE plug has a hole for luggage luck, but I saw a bent bar solution from Ingineer at the last the Bayleaf meetings which seems to do a good job locking the plug to the car. I suppose there's a market for such a contraption now.

Ingineer, any plan to productize your lock?

Tugrik said:

Hmmm... here's an idea: what if the luggage locks we used came with a small attached card reading "call/txt this number to unlock: xxx-xxxx". Then, if/when a driver in need of a charge contacts my cell, I could simply relay to them the combination.

The only drawback to this is that for our "good deed", we'd now be liable to be towed away; but I trust on faith the new law would not be enforced in that manner.

Back