End Time only with L1 EVSE starts immediately

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philip

I set a charge timer with the end time only, but when I plug in the EVSE it starts charging right away. I took a picture of the screen showing the timer settings. Screen is showing 8.5 hours to 80% on 120V charge with an end time of 7:00 am. It was 6:16 pm when I took the photo and the car was charging at that time, when I don't think it should be. Shouldn't it wait to start until around 10:00 pm?

Does anyone see anything wrong?

Thanks for your help.

chargetimer.jpg

It's because it is likely estimating more time needed and you are on L1. If it is done on time then it does not matter. Run some tests.

The estimates are notoriously "conservative" ... your charge will end much earlier than 7am ... I would guess 2am. That 5 hour difference is excessive, but I've seen 2 hours early even on 240V. The only way to know for sure whether your timers are "correctly" set ( i.e. Nissan-style :roll: ) is to have many more extra hours available between plug-in and your desired completion time -- or higher starting SOC. One way to "cheat" is to set completion time later (in 1 hour increments) until you get some consistency. Once confirmed the timer works correctly, you can set it back to an earlier time.

The timer is set for everyday. I'll see what it does on Saturday when I can plug it in earlier after a short drive.

I'm trying to maximize use of my utilities "super off peak" for charging. If I get an L2 I'll just use a start timer and it will finish before my morning commute, but at L1 I need a bit more time.

philip said:
The timer is set for everyday. I'll see what it does on Saturday when I can plug it in earlier after a short drive.

I'm trying to maximize use of my utilities "super off peak" for charging. If I get an L2 I'll just use a start timer and it will finish before my morning commute, but at L1 I need a bit more time.
L1 is "hard to squeeze" into short super off peaks :( ... it "leaks" into other periods ...

Addendum: turn on notifications in CW to see when it actually stops charging ...

Are you sure it was charging? What were the blue lights doing? If they light one at a time in sequence that is the sign that the car is waiting for a timer.

Yes it's definitely charging. One light on, and the next blinking and the coolant pump is running. Yep, L1 won't fit in super off peak for me, but I still would like for it to use all of it and not finish half way through - not a deal breaker (I think it works out to about 10 cents extra a charge), just an annoyance.

I'll do some more testing.

For what its worth, I'm seeing exactly the same thing. I have my timer set for 5:30am, and plug in sometime before 6:00pm. Always starts charging, and finishes sometime between 11:00pm and 1:00am. Just seems to me that the feature does not work with L1 charging.

I've told my car's timer to finish at 7:00am and it consistently finished about 4:45am. After a little over a week I moved the finish time to 8:00am and it's finishing at 5:45am. I guess I'll move it back to 9:00am in a few more days to get it to finish at the time I want. Maybe it has problems with time zones?

Philip

So last night it finished charging just before 2 am. So went from 6:00 pm until 2:00 am - 8 hours, so the estimate on the display is real close at 8 hours 30 minutes. It just doesn't seem to be doing the math from the end time correctly, or L1 is ignored on the end time and always charges right away. Not sure about the time zone - never checked it.

I'll test it this weekend when I am at a higher SOC and see if it still starts right away.

philipscoggins said:
I've told my car's timer to finish at 7:00am and it consistently finished about 4:45am. After a little over a week I moved the finish time to 8:00am and it's finishing at 5:45am. I guess I'll move it back to 9:00am in a few more days to get it to finish at the time I want. Maybe it has problems with time zones?

Philip

Is this on L1?

philip said:
So last night it finished charging just before 2 am. So went from 6:00 pm until 2:00 am - 8 hours, so the estimate on the display is real close at 8 hours 30 minutes. It just doesn't seem to be doing the math from the end time correctly, or L1 is ignored on the end time and always charges right away. Not sure about the time zone - never checked it.

I'll test it this weekend when I am at a higher SOC and see if it still starts right away.
So my guess was just about right on ! :) Is it possible the software does not understand "midnight" (0:00) ? So it does not roll-over for additional available hours ?

No, I charge with a L2 & it finished at 5:47am this morning as it was set to 8:00am. Charged for about 4 1/2 hours

(wow 2 Philip's here is even starting to confuse me)

Philip

This weekend I found that the charge timer with end time only does work when I have the battery at a higher SOC. Display said 2 hours needed and I set the end time for 2.5 hours later and charging did not start immediately.

I need to test further by changing the clock on the car to being close to midnight and repeating the test to see if it has issues with charging through midnight as LEAFer is suggesting.

I have the same issue. When charging at home with trickle charge, the display on the dashboard says I need 7 hours to recharge to 100% with 110v, but when I plug in it starts charging right away even though we are more than 12 hours to end-time.
I experience charging once in a Blink charging station, and the timer lights started blinking (3 blue lights alternatively), so I had to press the charge immediately button. Also once during the week-end I plugged in in the morning, and the timer lights started blinking.
This makes me think, as was suggested above, that even though the dashboard estimates the charging time probably accurately, the systems is very conservative and maybe even doubles that time.
EDIT: Tonight at 6pm the Dashboard indicated 20 minutes to full charge, timer ON. I plugged in and the charge started immediately (end time set at 6am).
Totally confused by this :? maybe the timer works only with the 220v charging, not the 110v trickle charging.

There have been many discussion on the end time timers. The always end hours early and the L1 seems worse than L2
My L2 is always 3 hours early. BUT the L1 in the middle of the day seems to ignore everything and it always start charging immediately even if the end time is set for 23 hours later. I cannot figure that one out

I noticed the same "starting and ending" issue with an L2 charger. My workaround was to just set a starting time that would result in a complete charge by my ending time. I would prefer a real end-time-only charging setting (I charge to 100%, and would like it to finish just before I leave), but I guess I can't have everything.

No matter what I do... L1 charging ALWAYS starts immediately when ever I plug in. I have tried timer on (end time only) and timer off.

The only thing I have not tried is programming the timer with a start time

I guess it just doesn't work that well. At first I had my start and end timers set so my leaf would charge only in the off-peak hours of our dual-rate electric. I soon realized that 8 hours would not always be enough to get my car to 80% on the trickle charger. So I set the end time only, figuring that if it needed to, it could just start early before the cheap rates. But in practice, it now starts whenever I plug it in and ends waaay early - which is useless. I'll try setting the end timer back and see if I can get it to end close to when the night-rate ends.

Back