EV Project: What if you move during the 2 years?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInSeattle

Has anyone in the EV Project read the fine print and knows what happens if you move? We just made an offer on a house and I haven't even gotten my charger yet. The new house is going to be an issue since it has a detached garage which does not have 220V. I don't want tall this to screw up my Leaf delivery so I was thinking of proceeding with the install in the old house and then, I assume, paying to have it moved to the new house. What do the wise among you suggest?

SteveInSeattle said:
Has anyone in the EV Project read the fine print and knows what happens if you move? We just made an offer on a house and I haven't even gotten my charger yet. The new house is going to be an issue since it has a detached garage which does not have 220V. I don't want tall this to screw up my Leaf delivery so I was thinking of proceeding with the install in the old house and then, I assume, paying to have it moved to the new house. What do the wise among you suggest?
Yes - I want to know too. We may look for a new house this year.

The fine print doesn't restrict you from moving. However, the unit does belong to Ecotality until the 2 years is up. So they may let you move it at your own cost, or they may take it back. My assumption is that they will let you move it or leave it there.

This is just total speculation on my part but the whole idea of the project is to build the charging infastructure. The best way to do that is to leave the EVSE so that the house is plug in ready.

This is a stretch, but DirecTV has you move only the box, not the antenna. They want the infastructure to remain at the house.

jcesare said:
This is just total speculation on my part but the whole idea of the project is to build the charging infastructure.
Yes & no. The reason why we are being EVSEs is so that they can monitor the usage. Leaving it for someone who can't use it defeats the purpose.

I looked at the Participant agreement and there is nothing about moving, the only relevant condition is the following "[The customer] Will not uninstall the Equipment without the prior approval of ECOtality"... so just moving it yourself to the new house is clearly not allowed.

Technically we are under contract to provide them data for 2 years. If we move, that would be a violation of the user agreement. However, as I said, I don't think they would really care. They definitely won't seek damages. :lol:

One possibility of the install-now option is that they might decide to install one of the "disposable" Clipper Creek units in the short term with the thought of doing a more permanent Blink charger at the new place. True the question remains of whether or not the new buyers would be able to take advantage of the old unit or not, but they wouldn't be datalogging using the Clipper Creek L2 unit anyways..

Might be worth a call to Ecotality to discuss..

Steve,
I would get the charger installed in the new house. Call Ecotality and tell them about your change in plans. You will most likely have to cover the cost for the more complicated install, but it would be way less than the cost of trying to "move" your install later.

This is where Ford's approach makes a bit better sense (of course getting a 'free' charger would still be the best option so I see your point) as you only need a 240V connector for their Best Buy charger for their Ford Focus EV and then the charger is 'portable' so you could take it with you -- still hard to believe the much shorter recharge times than those for the LEAF. In any case, like anything else that's permanently attached (anything hardwired should be) it stays with the house unless footnoted elsewhere during the time of sale -- new old/current owner should address it before either party assumes anything, I'm sure others can share stories of other things that can turn ugly during final inspections (i.e., high-end electrical fixtures suddenly being replaced last minute by el-cheapo stuff) so the same would go with a permanently wired charging station (could also be a great selling point) but having to walk away in less than 2 years would be a concern.

Assuming INDOOR mounting and use, the Blink comes in a Plug-in model, so it can easly be un-plugged, dismounted, re-mounted, and plugged in again at the new house.

Of course, both houses would need the proper 240v (40-amp) circuit, breaker, and socket installed.

Depending upon selection/forced tariff, a 2nd "EV" meter might also be required, more expensive.

So, ask the EVProject people about how they would like optimize their install, and at which house (or both).

redLEAF said:
... still hard to believe the much shorter recharge times than those for the LEAF.
Nothing hard to believe about that. Infact it was hard to believe that Nissan would use 3.3KW charger instead of 6.6KW.

i would think they would let you take it with you. but it would be interesting if you moved outside the project area.

part of the study is to review the impact of the usage on the utilities so not using it during the study period would defeat its purpose.

Back