EV siphon?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rainnw said:
I'd expect that in the future, maybe, maybe not, the standards will be modified for grid storage initiatives. That way your car battery pack can store cheap off peak wind power and sell it back to the grid during times of high demand....and maybe you could devote some of your battery pack to this purpose if you intended on driving minimal distances.

If you take away the whole micro-grid problem and just look at battery storage for excess generation, it is still a huge problem. If it were that great of a solution to have battery packs store energy, we'd already be doing it. It just cost too much darn money and that would trickle down to the consumer in rates. As of right now, old EV battery packs are being looked at to do this for us in the future. Not new battery packs in your vehicle. Are you willing to sacrafice your battery pack life for your utility company? By using the old battery packs for energy storage this solves some of the recycling issue as well as helps to offset the initial cost to the consumer for their EV or new battery pack replacement. There is a whole set of economics theories for how the battery economy should work. This is why you don't see battery swap out stations being proposed much. Are you willing to buy your LEAF with a new battery pack, drive 100 miles, and swap it out for a used one? Most people probably would want to. One theory is that whey you buy your vehicle, you don't actually buy the battery, rather you lease it over the life of ownership and someone else manages the battery economy for you and you're always going to have a battery with the ability to have at least 80% capacity. Kind of the way we swap out propane tanks, except you would just pay a monthly fee for the ability to have your battery swapped out and not have to deal with the ownership of a battery or what to do with it once it is of insufficient capacity. Too far in the future to tell how it will all fall out.

That kind of technology seems even farther out for the Pacific NW considering we don't even have basic time of use metering anymore.

davewill said:
There's nothing on the J1772 or QC ports that would be helpful. You'd have to tap into the high voltage on the car. Ingineer said in a post (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3144) that he could use his plug-in Prius as a charge vehicle for a stranded LEAF. I don't know whether that was theoretical, or actual. The easiest thing to do would be to connect an inverter to the HV to produce 120vAC (or 240v maybe), and plug an EVSE into it.
I can plug in an EVSE to my car and deliver a full 3.84kW to a LEAF. Still too slow to be of any great use, but it will work.

Any Gen II Prius can provide up to 21kW of ~240V (DC). If you convert this to AC you can power almost anything. The Prius is also equipped with 21kW boost converter that can take the battery voltage and boost it up to 500v, so with a little hacking and a custom CHAdeMO interface, we could have 21kW fast charge capability.

-Phil

Back