Extra delivery charge- what???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevintari

Are you guys paying an extra delivery fee above and beyond the 1,999 lease down payment?

I walked in to pick up my Leaf tonight, and the 1,999 down turned into 3,8000...nearly DOUBLE the advertised payment. I've never seen this in a lease before...is this scam tactic normal? :evil:

No such thing for me. The gross capitalized cost included a $595 acquisition fee, but the capitalized cost reduction was jiggered so that the "total amount due" (including taxes, registration, etc.) came out exactly $9499.99, less $7500.00 "rebates and non-cash credits", leaving a net due of $1999.99.

Ray

kevintari said:
Are you guys paying an extra delivery fee above and beyond the 1,999 lease down payment?

I walked in to pick up my Leaf tonight, and the 1,999 down turned into 3,8000...nearly DOUBLE the advertised payment. I've never seen this in a lease before...is this scam tactic normal? :evil:

I smell a skunk here??????? Don't sign anything. Based on your post, You're being ripped. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That's what I thought. This smells like a Cerritos Nissan scam.

The thing is...I've spoken to them 3 times in the past 2 months, was in there looking at the demo, we went over my order weeks ago, and they could have brought this up at any time. The salesman said every lease customer gets upset about it, and the manager said it was the owner's policy to not disclose the extra fees until the customer comes in to sign the paperwork.

Wow, THAT is an ethical way of doing business.

Update: Part of the fee is the cost of the quick charge port, which they are having me pay the full cost of even though the car is leased and I'll give it back to them in 3 years. That makes no sense. They're also giving me the option of rolling it into the payment for an extra $56/month, which is about an 11% interest premium on top of the 1,800.

kevintari said:
The salesman said every lease customer gets upset about it, and the manager said it was the owner's policy to not disclose the extra fees until the customer comes in to sign the paperwork.
Exactly what "extra fees" are being charged? How are they listed? This sounds more than unethical, it sounds like false and misleading.

Stoaty said:
kevintari said:
The salesman said every lease customer gets upset about it, and the manager said it was the owner's policy to not disclose the extra fees until the customer comes in to sign the paperwork.
Exactly what "extra fees" are being charged? How are they listed? This sounds more than unethical, it sounds like false and misleading.

An $850 delivery fee ON TOP OF the 1,999 drive off,

$700 for the quick charge port and roughly $250 for floor mats, which they are having me pay for in full as if I'm purchasing, not leasing the car (they should cost me $374 based on the leased amount of the total price of the car, not 950- obviously I can't keep the QC port when i return it). Then another $216 more if I want to roll all of that into the lease...bringing it to an extra two grand+ more.

The conversation started in the first 2 minutes with the salesman saying "I just want to tell you this right now because I always 'take it in the jaw' over this, but it's not us, Nissan makes us do it..." and then proceeded to go into the extra 1,800 cash or 56/month.

The "Base" MSRP + the Option(s) and Accessories + Delivery (about $850) => "Full" MSRP.

Some dealers quote the Base MSRP for obvious reasons. I asked for quotes that explicitly said they covered the Option, Accessory, and Delivery (Nissanto dealer) Charge, AND ANY other dealer charges. That left only DMV Registration fees, tax, tire recycle fee (x4 not x5), and a small "document" fee, as I recall.

The "Dealer Delivery" is always included somewhere, as you are finding out.

planet4ever said:
No such thing for me. The gross capitalized cost included a $595 acquisition fee, but the capitalized cost reduction was jiggered so that the "total amount due" (including taxes, registration, etc.) came out exactly $9499.99, less $7500.00 "rebates and non-cash credits", leaving a net due of $1999.99.

Ray

Pretty much the same for my lease. No surprises, $2,000 out of pocket. I have the quick charge port and floor mats, and all of this, and the delivery charge was rolled into the lease for no extra fees. Monthly lease was $417 before the tax rate dropped recently, now it's about $413.

I'd walk out on this deal and look for an orphan at MSRP elsewhere. Some announcements of orphans pop up on this forum occasionally and you might get one if you act quickly.

kevintari said:
...conversation started in the first 2 minutes with the salesman saying "I just want to tell you this right now because I always 'take it in the jaw' over this, but it's not us, Nissan makes us do it..."
So even though it may turn out to be a lie, don't hit the saleperson in the jaw like the other folks who "usually" do. Research the matter. Did it get down in writing? Really, leasing is a known arena for the old school takedown of the customer. Also, when they have you in the "box", several of them may team to "shove" you in a car--you can always walk out. Some of these guys never learn. They just don't get it.

The manager now said that he'll "talk to the owner this morning and see what he can do" but that there are people waiting in line to buy these cars- which to me translates into "we have you over a barrel"...

if this doesn't work out I would suggest STEERING CLEAR OF CERRITOS NISSAN for this or any other car.

Herm said:
JimSouCal said:
Some of these guys never learn. They just don't get it.

Why would they learn?.. they make more money that way.

Short term verses long term. Social media has changed the game. It's one thing to just say this is the lowest price, take it or leave it. Another thing to play with the lease numbers, and make things up.

So, Cerritos Nissan is saying that it is their policy to NOT disclose the Nissan-to-Dealer Delivery Charge that is CLEARLY LISTED on EVERY new car's price window sticker?

Do they also hide the fact that the accessories are NOT free?

I am sorry this inconvenience, but unless they were trying to charge you a SECOND delivery fee, the (roughly) $850 should be listed on "your" LEAF's window sticker for you to see.

If you catch a dealership person actually lying, you might want to just buy-and-run, or perhaps tell the Owner, and possibly explain why you will be buying elsewhere AND writing about your experience on our forum. At least, you might insist that another person act as your sales person. Or, spend some weekends picketing (on public property).

Kevin: As much as you want a Leaf (I really like mine), I would walk away from this dealer on this proposed Lease arrangement. It looks like a financial crucifixion to me. Isn't there some way you can do a purchase? If so, there are/will be orphan Leafs available from time to time in your area, at or near MSRP, with immediate delivery. Then, you'll get the $2500 CA rebate quickly, and the $7500 Federal deduction in less than a year.

garygid said:
So, Cerritos Nissan is saying that it is their policy to NOT disclose the Nissan-to-Dealer Delivery Charge that is CLEARLY LISTED on EVERY new car's price window sticker?

Do they also hide the fact that the accessories are NOT free?

I am sorry this inconvenience, but unless they were trying to charge you a SECOND delivery fee, the (roughly) $850 should be listed on "your" LEAF's window sticker for you to see.

I haven't seen the window sticker, the car just came in and was prepped a few hours before I arrived to take delivery.

I'm saying that for months they have led me to believe that I would pay 1,999 down and 379/mo + tax and walk out with that car. That is not the case, and the policy of withholding that information until the customer is sitting in the office with the papers in front of them is misleading and unethical. I sold my car on Friday to lease this one based on the information they've been giving me all along.

I'm also saying that they are trying to charge me full purchase price on 1,800 worth of leased goods that I will be giving back in 36 months, I should only be paying a percentage of that.

Interesting, I've been calling around to other dealerships this morning and in conversation am finding out that they've had other customers come to them with similar stories about CERRITOS NISSAN.

JimSouCal said:
Short term verses long term. Social media has changed the game. It's one thing to just say this is the lowest price, take it or leave it. Another thing to play with the lease numbers, and make things up.

I doubt it has much impact, few people talk about the bad deals they got.. they do complain for a long time if the cars are lemons. The brand suffers.

If you find a good salesman, pay the extra money that it takes to make him prosper and then keep in touch with him.. this promotes good practices.

Have you used our on-line lease calculator. It comes out "exact" for most folks, if they put in the correct "finance rate/factor". Using it, you would know what to expect.

The fine print on the Nissan RAQ says that the displayed and quoted lease payment does NOT include Delivery, Tax, DMV fees, or a possibly higher "finance" rate. Perhaps you missed reading that part?

Back