Extra (Subscription) Costs for Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the xm website I don't see a subscription for only traffic reports. Is there such a thing? What do you think the monthly cost would be?

jev77 said:
Looking at the xm website I don't see a subscription for only traffic reports. Is there such a thing? What do you think the monthly cost would be?

I have XM (or is it Sirius? I forget, they're one and the same now).

I had 6 months free XM radio AND "Travel Link" which does gas prices, traffic, weather updates....a whole ton of stuff I never use.

When it expired, I opted for traffic ONLY at a cost of something like $2.75/mo. plus my radio channels. I had them turn off the gad price updates, weather, etc.

No problem. But they managed to screw up the setup somehow and twice my traffic quit displaying and I didn't notice it until I needed it the most. After complaining bitterly, I had them turn everything on (at something like $7.75/mo), but they gave me a free year.

So yes, you can get traffic only with XM. With CARWINGS? Who knows?

XM "radio" without the radio and with traffic only?
Yes, I believe so, but they do not "advertise" it, I think.
You might have to ask and maybe even insist upon a traffic-only price.

garygid said:
XM "radio" without the radio and with traffic only?
Yes, I believe so, but they do not "advertise" it, I think.
You might have to ask and maybe even insist upon a traffic-only price.

Well, they're sort of two different pieces of the same puzzle. XM provides the 'radio' content as well as other stuff (traffic, gas prices, weather, etc.)

The radio content is utilized by (wait for it....) the radio. ;)
The traffic etc. is utilized by the NAV and ancillary computer system.

They are separate entities on my Ford, even though XM provides the packages....even though the 'radio' is part of the computer screen that has the NAV and everything else. And yes, a traffic only option is available.

Under the Carwings section of dashboard it reads within 30 days of ordering you will opt in and enable it. Does any one know what this is about and why do they want us to register 2 to 3 months before delivery. What is there to enable if we do not have the car?Does the free 3 years start at the point of enabling it?

I don't know pricing on any of this stuff, but I can pass along some general knowledge.

XM allows subscription to just radio, just traffic, just weather (I don't remember if LEAF has weather - I don't think so) or any combination. Prices will vary based on content. Nissan/XM provide 90 days free from sale date. XM will contact you to offer a subscription package prior to the end of 90 days. If you say no thanks, they will likely offer you a better deal either then or in the future. :) (If memory serves, everything might be ~$20/mo)

CARWINGS is all the telematics stuff, which is different than the navigation system. It will provide some info that will be displayed on the nav screen (ie: charging locations), and will do all the other stuff that is posted in the new CARWINGS info post. Apparently it requires a subscription. My guess would be that the subscription would go "active" when the car is sold, and it would be three years from that point. Subscription info ahead of time is to make sure that you and the car are in the system most likely to avoid last minute issues. (Wildly speculating here as Nissan does not offer this system in the US yet.) After three years will have some currently unknown annual cost. Not required, but if you don't have it, you lose all the stuff it does.

Navigation data itself may be updated on an annual basis, although you will not be required to do so. Current Nissan hard drive navigation systems require the dealer to update the nav data.

Back