Feb 26th Sac area gathering in Elk Grove - final headcount?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
If you are willing to do the VERY little it takes, become the first Branch Manager for your group.

When you have a first date, start a new thread (so that you can edit the thread's title as the months go by).

But first, pick a date, time, and place, and see if there is ANY interest here.
I'll stick a tentative toe in the water.

Gary's idea to suggest a time and place is a good one, but "Norcal" is a pretty big area, definitely larger than a one-charge LEAF round trip. Gudy (Olivier) et. al. are on the Peninsula, as is Brendan at Boardwalk Nissan. Visual (sorry I don't know your name...) and his friends seem clustered around Sacramento. Ready2plugin (Brian) and a few others are in the outer East Bay. Even though North Bay Nissan is a popular dealer, I don't know who the Marin/Sonoma forum members are. I'm pretty sure that EVDriver (again, don't even know your name...) is in SF. I'm in Oakland and I believe there are a couple of others near me.

That makes it seem we have too big a region for just one "Branch" or meeting place. So before we proceed too much further, how about checking the overall interest in pursuing the idea at all and, if there's consensus to move forward, decide how many Branches to form. I'll try to monitor this thread and see what results.

I'm sure a lot of us would like to have the networking benefits our fellow Southern Californians are enjoying, especially if there are now some actual owners who'd like to participate.

Glenn

Thanks, Glenn! And I believe garygid is right, we should get started, even if its only a few of us and some of our wives/SOs (I'll invite all of mine :lol: ).

Given the reality of range and charging stations, A Sac-centered group is probably doable, but to include Bay area folks may not be, and vice-versa, so we may need two sub groups, one for Bay area folks, and one for Sac-area and surroundings.

For the Sac-area meet, Lodi is a bit far for me (60+m) to make it there and back on a single charge - Elk Grove or downtown Sac would work fine.

Amit

A healthy tree has lots of Branches to nourish its LEAFs.

Get a state map and check the ledgend to see how far 50 miles is at that map's scale.

Cut a "50-mile" radius circle out a piece of plain paper, or better, of some transparent material. If it is easy, cut several.

Then plop a circle on the map to see basically what area your Branch would cover.

There's probably an SF (and south) branch, a San Jose Branch, and East Bay, North Bay, Fresno, Sacramento, etc. Branch Gatherings. I try to go South to the San Diego Branch, and North to the SoCal (yes, too vaguely named, my fault) Branch.

The first meeting place might "stick", move, or even split. We have now done all three.

To get started, I chose a HomeTown Buffet resturant where I knew the price was low, the breakfast food selection fairly good, the quality modest, easy parking, and plenty of flexible seating.

Some might have felt that they would never eat "in a place like that", but I really prefer folks that do not require Valet parking. :lol:

We seem to be doing well, with 2 HTB locations, and now, this month, we are trying Gathering at one Dealership that offered to host a breakfast, and a free car wash! :D

The only trick is to pick a "reasonable" spot, and try it. Everything else will evolve.

I would be up for a meet and greet. Anywhere is okay with me. I am still "pending" so can drive there in my Jeep.

Visual said:
Thanks, Glenn! And I believe garygid is right, we should get started, even if its only a few of us and some of our wives/SOs (I'll invite all of mine :lol: ).

Given the reality of range and charging stations, A Sac-centered group is probably doable, but to include Bay area folks may not be, and vice-versa, so we may need two sub groups, one for Bay area folks, and one for Sac-area and surroundings.

For the Sac-area meet, Lodi is a bit far for me (60+m) to make it there and back on a single charge - Elk Grove or downtown Sac would work fine.

Amit
Good idea, Amit!

So for starters, should we agree to separate NorCal into at least two regions - Bay Area and Sacramento/Central Valley. Each of those groups can then decide if/how they want to sub-divide. Maybe we can have a big uber-NorCal get together someday at the Vacaville charge station!

Though I would like to have met all your wives...

Glenn

There is a Hometown Buffet at

9089 Bruceville Road, in Elk Grove, CA
(at cross street DiLusso Drive, next to Post Office)

(in the South Sacramento Area).

Go for roughly 8:00 to 11:00 on Saturday morning, perhaps 12th Feb?

I agree BayArea and Sacramento/CentralValley are separate areas (due to range). (By mention of "Central Valley" here I mean Northern Central Valley (with Stockton as the focus), because Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield is really "Central Valley" too in normal parlance. But for LEAF owners Modesto is already a stretch.) Until QC is available in more locations we'll just have to keep it "small". The QC in Vacaville might allow some from outside the Sacramento area to meet in Sacramento, but not so much Lodi (highway 12 is a doable route ... but tricky and probably a detour).

An additional "problem" (limitation) with points Lodi or south is the (current) dearth of charging opportunities in the Central Valley. Yes, there's Stockton Nissan, and Elk Grove Nissan, but that's about it. Neither one of which is very convenient to a restaurant. The level 2 charging at these locations is nice (12 miles/hour) but only if far-way owners can plug in while we're spending time together ... more local owners that still need charging can use these dealers for a "boost" to make it home on their own time (1-2 hours?) before or after the meet-up.

In Elk Grove there is currently one shopping center I am aware of that has multiple signed Level 1 EV charge spots near shops and restaurants (Red Robin Burger, 8245 Laguna Blvd., Elk Grove, CA 95624). That's only 5mph, but better than nothing.

What I am really waiting for is downtown Sacramento ... a parking garage with Avcons to be upgraded to J1772.: http://www.evchargermaps.com/?SiteID=95814_19&Want=SPI%20LPI%20AVC%20OC&Zoom=17. We (many LEAFs) plug in and lots of places to meet nearby. (Because it's across from CARB/EPA it is probably slated for replacement sooner than other locations.)

Of course all LEAF customers-in-waiting interested in joining us using their gasser ... you're welcome ... and that would allow more remote forum members to join us.

Anyone know of Lodi or other areas with Level 1 outlets near/next to restaurants intended for EV charging ?

How about this - we meet in Elk Grove, near the Nissan dealer, that way anyone who needs a charge to get home can get one, and the rest of us (with Leafs or about-to-be-replaced ICEs) can just go there and back without charging. BTW, EG Nissan also promised free car washes, so I might take them up on that, since I'm leery of taking it somewhere where they don't know how to drive one.

I count myself, LEAFer, Glenn, maybe Ready2plugin - who else can make it to Elk Grove, current and expectant owners (oh come on, you know its kinda like your first baby coming... :lol: )

How about Sat the 26th Feb? Should give everyone enough time to plan...

If the 19th, Elk Grove is ok with me.

If the 26th ... there's some uncertainty in my schedule, but a location near Shingle Springs Nissan (for me to charge while we meet) would possibly work.

The 19th or the 26th of February in Elk Grove works for me.

I can bring my Red Leaf.

Richard

Lodi, EG, or Sac works for me. I don't have my LEAF yet. If it's on a Saturday, and earlier in the day, husband can come too. He works at 1pm in Old Sac on Saturdays. Sundays are pretty open too.

SF in April? Should have many cars by then and it is close to North, East Bay and Peninsula.

EVDRIVER said:
SF in April? Should have many cars by then and it is close to North, East Bay and Peninsula.
EV, you might want to post this to the Bay Area thread as well; it seems we're sort of breaking into two distinct groups and this NorCal Leaf thread has been sort of "adopted" by the Sacramento folks. There appears to be momentum for a Bay Area meeting near Boardwalk Nissan, but I think SF or Oakland would be a better central location for this area. I like the idea of April.

Glenn

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2607

So are we on for either Feb 19 or 26 in Elk Grove? That seems to be a good midway point for Lodi/Stockton owners and Sacramento owners. We could meet at the Elk Grove Nissan and those that need to charge can leave their cars there and we can car pool for eats when the time comes.

I can make either one.

Richard

I might join you too, though the 26th would work better for me. I'm not usually one for social gatherings, but hey... I should even have my car by then! How many other people in town have one? I've read of one delivery in Elk Grove, have there been others? Or will I be the second?

There have been two deliveries in Elk Grove.

I prefer the 19th, but will go with majority vote. There's still a chance I can't make the 26th.

The meet at the dealer-first works for me too.

Looks like we're coalescing around the 26th Feb in Elk Grove (the 19th is a long weekend, and I expect most of us have plans with the family). Meet at the dealer, then carpool over to a restaurant nearby, while the Leafs that need a charge can plug in at the dealer.

How about 10am? Headcount so far is LEAFer, cinmar, cardw, and me - anyone else? ready2plugin?

Amit

Visual said:
Looks like we're coalescing around the 26th Feb in Elk Grove (the 19th is a long weekend, and I expect most of us have plans with the family). Meet at the dealer, then carpool over to a restaurant nearby, while the Leafs that need a charge can plug in at the dealer.

How about 10am? Headcount so far is LEAFer, cinmar, cardw, and me - anyone else? ready2plugin?

Amit

Sorry, I'll be on vacation that week. Elk Grove would probably be pushing it as well. I may try joining the San Francisco crowd in the south bay.

Back