FIAT 500e

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Drive and Full Details about the All-Electric Fiat 500e

Price the vehicle at $32,500 but promise $2,000 off in dealership incentives. Take another $10,500 out in federal tax credits and a California rebate that drops the price below $20,000. Moreover, set the least at $999 down, and $199 a month—which, if you consider the $2,500 rebate—adds up to $0 down and around $170 a month (depending on much of the tax credit is applied). Pretty compelling.

It sounds like they may have a real winner on their hands! And it also sounds like they, unlike Nissan, know how to market it. I'm looking forward to driving it.

KeiJidosha said:
First Drive and Full Details about the All-Electric Fiat 500e
Price the vehicle at $32,500 but promise $2,000 off in dealership incentives. Take another $10,500 out in federal tax credits and a California rebate that drops the price below $20,000. Moreover, set the least at $999 down, and $199 a month—which, if you consider the $2,500 rebate—adds up to $0 down and around $170 a month (depending on much of the tax credit is applied). Pretty compelling.

Lease deal sounds mighty tempting. It'll be interesting to see this one against the Chevy Spark EV. Both small, low feature content but zippy quick. The Chevy offers (optional?) DCQC, but with no place to plug in (for how long?)

I'm guessing a media embargo was lifted recently as I came across http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-fiat-500e-ev-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today, thanks to the Flipboard (iPad) app.

Are North Americans going to get the Renault Zoe ?

I can't understand if Renault can install a 44 kw on board charger why no one else can too ?

Here we have a hell of a lot of 22 kw public chargers and the new fast chargers will be AC and dc. The leaf would need 4 hrs to charge for the new model to 1 hr for the Zoe. There are far fewer dc chargers though they are installing a lot more. Currently the Zoe would benefit the most from the current infrastructure.

Fiat make really good cars these days and come around 10 places above VAG now for reliability and quiet an achievement for Fiat, sadly they are not selling so good.

o00scorpion00o said:
Don't know OTOH but Renault stopped selling in the US LONG ago. AFAIK, they have no plans to return to the US (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/13/ghosn-rules-out-renault-returning-to-u-s/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I suppose if Nissan wanted to, they could rebadge it as a Nissan or sell it at Nissan dealers.

In the US, we currently have a single Fiat-branded car, the 500 (and its variants). Fiat also pulled out of the US market long ago and only returned after bankrupt Chrysler was sold to Fiat.

I'm not a huge Renault fan, but I have to say I really like the Zoe. I don't know about only having 87 hp though in a car that heavy but reviews say it's pretty lively. I wonder if the 13.5 second 0-100 kph is true ? very slow if it is. 162 lbs of torque actually same as the 1.5 L diesel Clio but in a lighter car. That 44 kw on board charger is the most attractive option though. I can't understand why Nissan didn't install that Chameleon charger ?

Did I read right that the 500 won't have a quick charge option ?

I wish they offered the Fiat 550e in Ohio. At the car show, there were few cars I would consider. The Fiat 500 was very easy to get in and out and had a quality interior. It was sexy and snazzy. I would have bought one if it was a plug-in electric version. The Ford Focus. CMAX, and Fusion were not as easy to get into. The Chevy Volt was totally unacceptable. I felt like a sardine in it. The Prius was not so bad, but the Leaf was much better. I ordered a Leaf. Still waiting.

I've driven the regular 500 a number of times and the driving dynamics and build quality are both excellent. I'd definitely consider it. Oh, and the Abarth version is spectacular.

kikbuti said:
I wish they offered the Fiat 550e in Ohio. At the car show, there were few cars I would consider. The Fiat 500 was very easy to get in and out and had a quality interior. It was sexy and snazzy.

Fiat 500e Pricing Is A Pleasant Surpise At $32,500, Leases From $199/month
http://insideevs.com/fiat-500e-pricing-is-a-pleasant-surpise-at-32500-leases-from-199month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then they took it one better and offered leases from $199/month with only $999 at signing. That financing option is in ‘base 2013 Nissan LEAF‘ territory.

Fiat 500e Seems To Have It All. Great Styling, Good Range…And Decent Pricing
…and the Fiat 500e is far from a base Nissan LEAF.

Just in case you were wondering how the 500e’s price stacks up against the gas-burning Fiat 500, check out this quote from the automaker’s press release:

“The Fiat 500e is priced at $32,500, which includes a $700 destination charge. However, eligible California residents may be able to purchase the 500e for as low as $20,500, after federal credits, state incentives and FIAT rebates are included. That’s about $200 less than the current starting price of a comparably-equipped Fiat 500 Lounge with a gas engine.”
<snip>
Well, plans have not changes as of now, and the Fiat 500e is only available in California, at Fiat’s 25 dealers across the state.

Buyers in California will of course gain the additional $2,500 state incentive credit, bringing the effective price down to $20,500, as well as receiving as Fiat’s commitment (called the Pass program) to provide 12 free days of rental cars per year; for those times their EV’s 87 miles of range is not sufficient.
<snip>
video

o00scorpion00o said:

I can't understand if Renault can install a 44 kw on board charger why no one else can too ?

Here we have a hell of a lot of 22 kw public chargers and the new fast chargers will be AC and dc. The leaf would need 4 hrs to charge for the new model to 1 hr for the Zoe. There are far fewer dc chargers though they are installing a lot more. Currently the Zoe would benefit the most from the current infrastructure.

Fiat make really good cars these days and come around 10 places above VAG now for reliability and quiet an achievement for Fiat, sadly they are not selling so good.

i am guessing not but look to Nissan to diversify its EV offerings once there is more nationwide acceptance of the technology.

this car looks very cool but kinda small for me needs I want a family EV since the LEAF now handles 95+% of family trips. (last family trip not in the LEAF was Dec. the one before that; August)

DaveinOlyWA said:
i am guessing not but look to Nissan to diversify its EV offerings once there is more nationwide acceptance of the technology.

this car looks very cool but kinda small for me needs I want a family EV since the LEAF now handles 95+% of family trips. (last family trip not in the LEAF was Dec. the one before that; August)

That's a shame ye may not get the Zoe, it is small but there are lots of small cars in Europe so I guess it's not that unusual to us.

It's a pity Nissan never installed the chameleon charger.

o00scorpion00o said:
I'm not a huge Renault fan, but I have to say I really like the Zoe. I don't know about only having 87 hp though in a car that heavy but reviews say it's pretty lively. I wonder if the 13.5 second 0-100 kph is true ? very slow if it is. 162 lbs of torque actually same as the 1.5 L diesel Clio but in a lighter car. That 44 kw on board charger is the most attractive option though. I can't understand why Nissan didn't install that Chameleon charger ?

Did I read right that the 500 won't have a quick charge option ?

There is no QC option, but it said the seats aren't that comfortable so you wouldn't want to drive any distance. Nissan really improved the seat comfort in the 2013.

LEAFfan said:
There is no QC option, but it said the seats aren't that comfortable so you wouldn't want to drive any distance. Nissan really improved the seat comfort in the 2013.

No QC really limits practicality of electric cars, I wouldn't even think about buying one without QC.

I really think renaults chameleon charger is genius and I hope other manuafacturers apply the same.

The Chevy Spark is another to watch out for, the specs look good. 400 lbs of torque should make for a lot of fun considering a car of its size here in Europe would only have a 1.0l 70 hp engine with around 65 lbs of torque. And it's got quick charge.

o00scorpion00o said:
LEAFfan said:
No QC really limits practicality of electric cars, I wouldn't even think about buying one without QC. I really think renaults chameleon charger is genius and I hope other manuafacturers apply the same. The Chevy Spark is another to watch out for, the specs look good. 400 lbs of torque should make for a lot of fun considering a car of its size here in Europe would only have a 1.0l 70 hp engine with around 65 lbs of torque. And it's got quick charge.

Pretty good write up here. Mentions DC Combined Charging Standard (CCS aka IEC/SAE combo) charging engineered in.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1083528_2013-fiat-500e-electric-car-first-drive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speedy charging
Every Fiat 500e comes with a built-in battery charger that operates at 6.6 kilowatts, meaning that recharging the pack using a 240-Volt Level 2 charging station takes about 4 hours.
All Fiat Studios in California will be outfitted with four separate charging stations, Fiat says, though the company didn't indicate whether they would be available for us by all electric-car drivers.
And as is standard on most electric cars now, Fiat has modified the navigation system of the 500e to show all electric-car charging station locations.
Fiat engineers also said after the drive that the car was engineered from the start to accept quick charging at 480 Volts and 70 Amps.
That is, it requires only the addition of the necessary hardware to be capable of using new Combined Charging Standard (CCS) fast charging stations when they become available.

No "B" mode to add lift-throttle regen on the 500e, but "hill decent" may help mitigate modulating the brake to get regen while decendiing hills;
The FIAT® 500e also has "hill decent" which controls speed down steep hills without applying the brakes - meant to emulate downshifting to maintain speed.
It works well in the Fit EV.

TomT said:
This may have been posted before, but I do love the commercial!

http://youtu.be/rp06B8JU2hI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't see that particular "accessory" mentioned in any of the press release stories.

It's a pity electric cars are not allowed to coast, surely coasting is more efficient than regen ?

The VW Golf electric will have variable regen via paddles similar to the auto shifters on the steering wheel. I think that's a great idea and hopefully it will have 0 regen when not on the throttle.

Back