First Checkup - 5 stars, but 12 volt battery failed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etracing

I have not been on the board in a little while and did not see this issue before.

I got the 2012 its first checkup. Everything went well, programming upgrade, 27 point check, (all free)
5 stars on the battery check, but the 12V battery failed? Replaced at no charge.

Has this been an issue for others?

We've had a few 12v batteries replaced, and there's a thread around speculating that the LEAF's charging regimen isn't ideal for the 12v lead-acid battery.

Replaced at no charge is awesome! I'm not expecting that when mine goes, being as it's a wear item and all. But I am going to wait until it will no longer start the car before I replace it, even if that's no so convenient for me.

His was less than a year old. Most lead acid batts have 100% replacement within a year. I repalced 2 sets of batteries in my ZENN at no charge that way

mwalsh said:
Replaced at no charge is awesome!
DaveinOlyWA said:
His was less than a year old. Most lead acid batts have 100% replacement within a year.
I checked out our warranty booklet and Nissan OEM batteries are 100% covered for 24 months, 75% covered for months 25 to 32, %50 covered for months 33 to 50, and 25% covered for months 51 To 84.

That might be a good deal for us if our batteries fail within the first 32 months, but I find that the way the manufacturers afford these warranties is by simply overcharging for their batteries. Honda wanted something like 120 dollars for the tiny battery in the Honda Civic Hybrid and I purchased an EverStart? From Walmart that same day for $77 with a similar prorated 84-month warranty.

One final comment for the OP since he did not find the other 12V battery threads: There was one report of a weird braking failure that was apparently caused by CANbus malfunction due to a bad 12V battery. As such, it seems like a good idea to keep an eye on that thing and charge and/or replace it as necessary.

I agree that running the 12v battery into the ground is a very bad idea. It runs a lot of systems and, if the voltage drops, you may start getting anomalies in areas you don't want them. It's not a big ticket item and it's not as if the Leaf is expensive to maintain. This is an area where spending a few bucks is money well spent.

RegGuheert said:
mwalsh said:
Replaced at no charge is awesome!
DaveinOlyWA said:
His was less than a year old. Most lead acid batts have 100% replacement within a year.
I checked out our warranty booklet and Nissan OEM batteries are 100% covered for 24 months, 75% covered for months 25 to 32, %50 covered for months 33 to 50, and 25% covered for months 51 To 84.

That might be a good deal for us if our batteries fail within the first 32 months, but I find that the way the manufacturers afford these warranties is by simply overcharging for their batteries. Honda wanted something like 120 dollars for the tiny battery in the Honda Civic Hybrid and I purchased an EverStart? From Walmart that same day for $77 with a similar prorated 84-month warranty.

One final comment for the OP since he did not find the other 12V battery threads: There was one report of a weird braking failure that was apparently caused by CANbus malfunction due to a bad 12V battery. As such, it seems like a good idea to keep an eye on that thing and charge and/or replace it as necessary.

WOW!! awesome news! I worked in the car business briefly and a 100% 24 month warranty on lead acid batts is VERY rare. maybe thinking Nissan knew about the shortcomings of the charging algorithm used??

Back