Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about that same trip. Also thought that the middle of either road would be great location for a charger.

I would take 41, not only is it shorter but the average speed is lower especially given they are still doing construction on the road. You could start by topping off your battery at Bill Seidle Nissan then heading west. I've have seen some of the bus RV at Ochopee campground so I think that would be a good place to call first. If you have the right adaptor you should be able to get enough charge to make it to Naples. Take a cooler and have leisurely lunch talk to a few campers and then head on your way or just camp there for a night.

Let us know what you find out.

electricD said:
I've thought about that same trip. Also thought that the middle of either road would be great location for a charger.

I would take 41, not only is it shorter but the average speed is lower especially given they are still doing construction on the road. You could start by topping off your battery at Bill Seidle Nissan then heading west. I've have seen some of the bus RV at Ochopee campground so I think that would be a good place to call first. If you have the right adaptor you should be able to get enough charge to make it to Naples. Take a cooler and have leisurely lunch talk to a few campers and then head on your way or just camp there for a night.

Let us know what you find out.
I don't actually own a Leaf, as my sig mentions... I was just curious if anyone had tried or had more concrete thoughts on that trip/route, since its the only semi-long distance trip I make with anything remotely like regularity.

That trip is one of the main reasons for me to hold off buying a Leaf, actually.

That's a whole other previous (involved) post in the Newbie section.

As posted on the thread I started called "LEAF Collision Experiences" my 2012 has been totaled, so I am in the market for a replacement. A friend of mine said it may be a blessing in disguise because my lease payment was so high I was too embarrassed to admit what I have been paying. Now I am looking for a good deal on a new LEAF. Please give me your suggestions. Thanks.

I was happy with my transaction at Coral Springs Nissan back in December. A little bit of a drive from Coral Gables but within range. Michael Firestone was my sales rep, but the manager was the one that was willing to negotiate the best deal.
I am actually going up there tomorrow for another "Go the distance" free rental. Need to drive to Tallahassee so the free rental is great! This will be my third free rental and I will leave the leaf at the dealer to get the "software enhancement update" while I am gone.

MiamiLeaf said:
I was happy with my transaction at Coral Springs Nissan back in December. A little bit of a drive from Coral Gables but within range. Michael Firestone was my sales rep, but the manager was the one that was willing to negotiate the best deal.
I am actually going up there tomorrow for another "Go the distance" free rental. Need to drive to Tallahassee so the free rental is great! This will be my third free rental and I will leave the leaf at the dealer to get the "software enhancement update" while I am gone.

Who qualifies for a go the distance rental?

FWIW Bill Seidle Nissan was the one place I was able to negotiate off the dealer fee. Small consolation on what otherwise was an overpriced deal, as was commonly the case with early adopters.

Mitsubishi MiEV spotted on South Beach. Very Rare. Only 1,500 sold in the USA so far.

971781_10151514242816898_1754162364_n.jpg

LTLFTcomposite said:
MiamiLeaf said:

Who qualifies for a go the distance rental?

FWIW Bill Seidle Nissan was the one place I was able to negotiate off the dealer fee. Small consolation on what otherwise was an overpriced deal, as was commonly the case with early adopters.

What prices did Coral Springs and Bill Seidle Nissan give you guys?

N1ghtrider said:
What prices did Coral Springs and Bill Seidle Nissan give you guys?
I have a 2012 lease and was among the first day signups back in 2010. You may recall all that web site mumbo jumbo with reservations and such back then. Anyway when it was time to place the order, all the dealers I spoke to wanted full list price plus a dealer fee, BSN was at least willing to give that much to earn my business, maybe because they knew they needed to do something to motivate me to pass over a dozen dealers that were closer to me.

What I'm paying now (and what you were paying) for a lease look nothing like what you should be able to get now. I'm guessing you can lease for half what you were paying.

If you're talking to the guy with the SUV, ask him if he could total mine too. Juuuuuuuust kidding :D

LTLFTcomposite said:
Another data point in Nissan's grand experiment: We lost a bar today, 17642 miles. We've tried to be careful with the battery even though it's a lease, although not to the point of obsession. Charged to 80% on weekends and 100% on weekdays but with driving starting ~1 hour after completion so not sitting too long at 100%. Any time we went away the car was left at ~50%.

We're about halfway through the lease; at this rate it should still be fine for our needs for the next 18 months. We'll see what's next.

POOF!!! Bar #2 buh-bye. Just shy of 21k miles on the clock and only a little over three months since the first bar was lost. Confidence in the car comfotably making the 50 mile daily commute through lease end is now officially shaken. Any theory that "Florida won't be as bad as Arizona" is also roadkill.

The Volt is looking better every day.

LTLFTcomposite said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Another data point in Nissan's grand experiment: We lost a bar today, 17642 miles. We've tried to be careful with the battery even though it's a lease, although not to the point of obsession. Charged to 80% on weekends and 100% on weekdays but with driving starting ~1 hour after completion so not sitting too long at 100%. Any time we went away the car was left at ~50%.

We're about halfway through the lease; at this rate it should still be fine for our needs for the next 18 months. We'll see what's next.

POOF!!! Bar #2 buh-bye. Just shy of 21k miles on the clock and only a little over three months since the first bar was lost. Confidence in the car comfotably making the 50 mile daily commute through lease end is now officially shaken. Any theory that "Florida won't be as bad as Arizona" is also roadkill.

LTLFT, sorry to hear about your (bar) loss. We've lost our 2nd bar about 2 months ago at 24K miles. We drive down to Hollywood pretty often and I honestly don't think we've lost much range. Tonight I drove the 45 miles (of which 35 miles were at an average of 65mph) and got home with two bars and about 12 miles on the GOM. When the car was new I remember having about 17-20 miles on the GOM when we got home.

P.S.: You should update your signature. :-(

BrainDonor said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

LTLFT, sorry to hear about your (bar) loss. We've lost our 2nd bar about 2 months ago at 24K miles. We drive down to Hollywood pretty often and I honestly don't think we've lost much range. Tonight I drove the 45 miles (of which 35 miles were at an average of 65mph) and got home with two bars and about 12 miles on the GOM. When the car was new I remember having about 17-20 miles on the GOM when we got home.

P.S.: You should update your signature. :-(
Have either of you had the battery monitor software update?

spike09 said:
Have either of you had the battery monitor software update?
Not yet. Was planning to take it in next month at the next 7500 mile interval.

The car is straining more to make the commute based on the nonscientific observation of hitting LBW occasionally/more often/earlier on the trip home. Maybe the software update would change that, we'll see.

Workplace charging would alleviate any range concern but that isn't happening.

LTLFTcomposite said:

I just wish it was a proper passenger car, which could seat 5 comfortably. Otherwise, its not even an option for me. At what % did you lose the second bar? That's pretty scary, only 3-4,000 miles between bar losses. That means my next bar will probably disappear around 23,000. Hopefully the cooler weather by then will help prolong it.

keydiver said:
I just wish it was a proper passenger car, which could seat 5 comfortably. Otherwise, its not even an option for me.
Meh... IMO there is no such thing as a car that seats 5 "comfortably", at best you can jam a third person in the back seat for a few miles, although I suppose with small kids it works if you can put up with all the shenanigans. For 5 or 6 passengers minivans work best.

keydiver said:
At what % did you lose the second bar? That's pretty scary, only 3-4,000 miles between bar losses. That means my next bar will probably disappear around 23,000. Hopefully the cooler weather by then will help prolong it.
Not sure what you mean by %. The first bar went around 17k miles and the second around 21k. Our charging habits have generally been 100% on weekdays (with the car being driven within an hour or so of charging complete) and 80% on weekends. We've made a pretty concerted effort to avoid letting the car sit at high or low SOC. It has been warm in the garage, maybe 90-ish, but I've been careful about parking the leaf in the garage with a hot volt, and the leaf has been spending more nights out on the driveway.

So yeah, when the first bar went at 17k I was thinking we'd be into the 30's before the next bar went away and be good for the 50 mile commute until lease end. Now I'm not feeling so good about that. If bars keep disappearing at the rate of one every 4,000 miles we'll be dumping the car, and I'll be dumping on Nissan if they don't do anything about it. But I'm trying not to get ahead of myself here; for now the car is still doing what we need it to.

LTLFTcomposite said:
If bars keep disappearing at the rate of one every 4,000 miles we'll be dumping the car, and I'll be dumping on Nissan if they don't do anything about it. But I'm trying not to get ahead of myself here; for now the car is still doing what we need it to.

I'm guessing Nissan will do nothing for us until the 9th bar is gone. Once that happens, for us lease holders, the question is whether they will give us a new battery or simply allow us to end the lease (I'd prefer the latter).

Back