Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrainDonor said:
However, their TOU metering and solar PV (after all, we're the "Sunshine State") programs are a joke.

In addition to that, if you live in a planned development with a homeowner's association (which most of us do, along the southeast Florida coast), the homeowner's association will actively discourage the installation of solar energy systems.

I was doing a google maps view over Weston, Pembroke Pines and Miramar and was not surprised by how rare it was to find any house with solar panels. There was even one where the panels were placed on the north-facing roof slope because the south facing slope was facing the street. You know that the HOA had something to do with that decision.

There is a Florida law that prevents an HOA from denying a homeowner from installing a solar panel system entirely, or in such a manner that it significantly increases the cost or decreases the system's effectiveness, but you have to wonder how many people would be willing to fight that battle. Apparently the one homeowner, with panels on the north-facing roof, gave in and installed a less effective system just to avoid the fight. Most others would just give up, entirely, and not install a system, at all.

BrainDonor said:
However, their TOU metering and solar PV (after all, we're the "Sunshine State") programs are a joke.

I have to disagree about the FPL solar PV program. We got a check just a few weeks ago from them for almost $11,000 for the second set of PVs that we put on our house.

evenoelle said:
BrainDonor said:

I have to disagree about the FPL solar PV program. We got a check just a few weeks ago from them for almost $11,000 for the second set of PVs that we put on our house.

nice!! the Solar panel program in WA State is probably one the greatest in the country and also probably the "least known" as well. but then again, many think WA solar?? in an area that barely sees sunshine 7 months a year? (it gets dark at 4:30 in winter here) so even WA residents have a hard time wrapping their heads around it especially when many pay 8-10 cents/kw or less

but a great co-op investment opportunity (unfortunately for WA residents only so you cant participate) for solar exists that invests in green clean power for the future is a great example of the States ideology on green

http://sustainable-edmonds.org/2011...does-get-enough-sun-for-solar-panels-to-work/

The State pays the Co-Op $1.08 for each kW-hr generated. All of these funds are pooled, and the Co-Op members receive back money based on how many Sun Slices they initially purchased. This arrangement will exist until 2021, when the Community Solar regulations expire.

for residential solar the state reimburses at an initial rate of 54 cents/kw and down depending on install. to qualify for max rate, it must be solar install of WA manufactured panels by WA State licensed contractor.

now, it used to be a 15 year plus return rate based on cheap local power prices and the much higher WA panel prices. but the locally produced panel prices have dropped over 150% in prices over the past 18 months, making even a residential payback in less than 10 years.

evenoelle said:

Eve, do you live in a development with a homeowner's association, and are any of your panels facing the street?

I have also taken advantage of the FPL $2/watt rebate this year, with an additional 7.6kW of panels on my garage roof. I also got 3 friends to do it, with 2 of them doing 9 kW! They are all very thankful for my help in engineering and installing the systems, but they especially love the very low electric bills every month. :D
After the FPL rebate and the 30% Federal deduction they all have only $1000-$3000 out of pocket! I tried to get a 4th friend in on the latest round of funding in October, but he took too long (4.5 minutes) to fill out the FPL form online, and all the money was gone by then. :shock:
None of us have an HOA, and all systems face due south, so we are making some big power in the Sunshine State. It will be interesting if any of them also follow my lead and buy a Leaf or other plugin vehicle to use some of those solar electrons.

BrainDonor said:
Weatherman, keydiver, will you be able to attend the meet-up on the 14th in Delray? Brightonuk, how about you? I assume you'll make it, so I put you in the confirmed list. My apologies if you already responded and I missed it.

I've always wanted to go to the Gold Coast EAA Monthly meeting, but Delray would be quite a stretch for me, and Saturday mornings are no good either, sorry. What is the exact address? I'll run it through Google Maps and see what it says, but I think too much of the drive will be 65-70 mph on 95. I would need a LOT of Level 2 recharge time to get back home.

Weatherman said:
evenoelle said:

Eve, do you live in a development with a homeowner's association, and are any of your panels facing the street?

No HOA and no panels facing the street. When we we looking at houses, my husband would not even look at any that did not have the north/south exposure. We face North so the panels are on the back of the house.

evenoelle said:
No HOA and no panels facing the street.

You're lucky. On both counts.

My house is oriented east-west with a nearly uninterrupted 20'x40' south-facing roof slope facing the street. The north-facing roof slope is an unbroken 20'x60' expanse, but I'm not even going to consider placing panels on the north side. The small, east, west and south-facing roof slopes over my garage cover such a small area that they are inconsequential.

One little wrinkle is that I live at the end of a peninsula where the back of my house (north side) is facing the water, so the north side of house is, actually, visible to more people than the south side is. My lot has about 20' of street-front and over 120' of water-front.

So, it should be a very interesting project for 2012. I'll let the installers come up with the initial design, then let the HOA ruminate on it for a few months as I wait to see if FPL re-opens their rebate program. Hopefully by late spring or early summer all the ducks will be in a row so work can begin.

keydiver said:
BrainDonor said:
Weatherman, keydiver, will you be able to attend the meet-up on the 14th in Delray? Brightonuk, how about you? I assume you'll make it, so I put you in the confirmed list. My apologies if you already responded and I missed it.

I've always wanted to go to the Gold Coast EAA Monthly meeting, but Delray would be quite a stretch for me, and Saturday mornings are no good either, sorry. What is the exact address? I'll run it through Google Maps and see what it says, but I think too much of the drive will be 65-70 mph on 95. I would need a LOT of Level 2 recharge time to get back home.
Delray Beach Community Center
50 NW 1st Ave.
Delray Beach, FL 33444

Perhaps next month they will have the meeting further south.

Weatherman said:
I'm considering getting a solar PV system in 2012 and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good, reliable installer, who services southern Broward County. It needs to be someone who is patient and can provide assistance in dealing with a homeowner's association that is not going to be happy I want to install the panels on the side of my roof facing the street.

(BTW... I'm aware that Florida law is on my side when it comes to dealing with the HOA over solar panel installation. But, I'd rather be gentle with them at first, before resorting to the hard-line approach.)
I highly recommend Paul Farren at the Energy Store (http://www.energystore-usa.com), they are the only Alternate Energy Retail store in the South East. They are located in Hollywood, right off of Hollywood Blvd & Dixie Highway (601 N 21st Ave). I had a 5KW install and it was the best experience ever. I agree that some of the other "installers" in town are terrible.

keydiver said:
spike09 said:
Delray Beach Community Center
50 NW 1st Ave.
Delray Beach, FL 33444

44.5 miles from my house, with 27.7 miles on 95. Refresh me with the charging situation in the area?
Check out this news report (and article). Some inaccurate information, but it does mention the 3 free Level 2 charging stations.
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_s_palm_beach_county/delray_beach/free-electric-car-charging-stations-open-in-delray-wednesday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I mentioned earlier, you might want to arrive earlier and get some juice.

I drove from my house to Hollywood, 45 miles total with about 37 miles on I-95. Starting with a full charge and driving 65 mph, I arrived with about 30 miles left on the GOM. That estimate should be for highway driving (based on prior driving). If you start with a full charge and two hours of L2 charging, you should have plenty left to get home. I believe you live in Martin county, so you can always stop by my house (Hypoluxo and Jog) for a quick L2 charge if needed.

Weatherman said:
My house is oriented east-west with a nearly uninterrupted 20'x40' south-facing roof slope facing the street.
Weatherman, I have the same issue. I live in a HOA with my house having an east-west layout and the street being on the south side. I am not aware of any PV panels on any house in my development. Let me know what you find out... ;)

BrainDonor said:
Check out this news report (and article). Some inaccurate information, but it does mention the 3 free Level 2 charging stations.
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_s_palm_beach_county/delray_beach/free-electric-car-charging-stations-open-in-delray-wednesday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, I see them on PlugShare, "Banker's Row Parking Lot". I may give it a try.

61 miles from my house I definitely will need a charge (but I might not if I lived 44.5 miles away, as I clocked 111 miles on my latest charge). :cool:
111Miles.jpg

Hello fellow south Florida LEAF owners! I just joined the site today (well, I guess "yesterday" would be correct now), but have enjoyed reading posts in some of the forums during the past few months while awaiting delivery of my EV.

Keydiver & Braindonor: thank you for responding to my first post and alerting me to the Florida forum. I've spent the last couple of hours reading about what all of you went through to get your cars and what you have enjoyed about them once they were delivered.

Keydiver: Looks like you beat me by 2 days at Wallace Nissan. Greg Smith told me how eager you were to come in and get yours when we closed my lease on Friday, December 9th. Then I took delivery on Saturday morning. I've been a very happy LEAF driver ever since!

Finally ... Yes, I will try to make it to the Gold Coast EAA get-together on Saturday, 1/14/12. Should be no trouble for me to make the round-trip without recharging. I may stop in WPB on the way home to visit CityPlace, and could charge up in the municipal garage downtown. And Keydiver, you're welcome to recharge at my house on the way home if you need to, or you could use one of the two chargers at Jupiter Town Hall parking lot on Military Trail.

JupiterLEAF said:
Hello fellow south Florida LEAF owners! I just joined the site today (well, I guess "yesterday" would be correct now), but have enjoyed reading posts in some of the forums during the past few months while awaiting delivery of my EV.
Welcome to our growing tribe of LEAFs in the wild in South Florida.

So far we have the following for our get-together on the 1/14. Keydiver and Weatherman, we need a thumbs up/down from you... ;-)

Confirmed:
  • LTLFTcomposite
  • spike09 (needs charge)
  • N1ghtrider (needs charge)
  • BrainDonor
  • Brightonuk (needs charge)
  • JupiterLEAF (may need a charge)
Unconfirmed (yet):
  • keydiver (probable)
  • Weatherman
Unable to make it (this time):
  • evenoelle
  • Now7grandkids

Spike, can you check with our new friends at the Gold Coast EAA to see what their charging needs/policies are? I'm sure they want to meet us, but we shouldn't monopolize the charging stations. Perhaps we should take N1ghtrider's lead and join the chapter. Thanks!

Back