Ford Focus Electric Real World Test Drive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottf200

http://insideevs.com/ford-focus-electric-real-world-test-drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the spoils of automotive journalism is the ability to test drive cars before or as they hit the market. Yesterday I had the joy of a freshly minted Ford Focus Electric delivered straight to my driveway for a one week real world driving experience.

In my five years of electric car blogging I have had the pleasure to test, and live with several electric cars, giving me ample comparative experience. I spent one year living with the MINI-E, and have exclusively driven my Chevy Volt for the past year and a half. I have also test driven the Nissan LEAF, Mitsubishi i MIEV, the Tesla Roadster, several Chevy Volt prototypes, the GM 2-Mode plug-in EV, and even an early Ford Focus EV prototype.

I've wondered about that Ford. All the other ...ok fine, both, EV's I've looked into have full digital dashes. I find it interesting that Ford kept an analog/rotating spedometer when everyone else has digital and the whole car is an ELECTRIC VEHICLE. Also why do Ford and Chevy insist on keeping the electric plug on the side? Although the rear PiP makes less sense it just seems to me a front charge port makes the most sense for accessing not only a home evse but also public access.

Also his statement about 'only American made pure electric vehicle' is only temporary as the Nissan plant in TN comes online later this year.

Ideas?

I am mainly interested in Real World price for it. Is it really $33.5k after tax credit or you could actually bargain it lower.

ksnogas2112 said:
I've wondered about that Ford. All the other ...ok fine, both, EV's I've looked into have full digital dashes. I find it interesting that Ford kept an analog/rotating spedometer when everyone else has digital and the whole car is an ELECTRIC VEHICLE. Also why do Ford and Chevy insist on keeping the electric plug on the side? Although the rear PiP makes less sense it just seems to me a front charge port makes the most sense for accessing not only a home evse but also public access.

I quote you because these are 2 of my pet peeves with any EV coming out: I expect an ALL DIGITAL dash and why would anyone put a charge port anywhere other than where the EVSE is when you pull into a spot/garage: the FRONT!

Stanton said:
I quote you because these are 2 of my pet peeves with any EV coming out: I expect an ALL DIGITAL dash and why would anyone put a charge port anywhere other than where the EVSE is when you pull into a spot/garage: the FRONT!
I like analog gauges and my Blink EVSE is on the side :)

All converted ICE cars will have the charge port on the side because the styling, with a conventional looking grilled, has no place to put a charge port, and there's already a gas cap port on the existing design. Even the Tesla S, a ground-up EV design, has the charging port on the rear driver's side, which might turn out to be a challenge for some charging situations, especially since the car is fairly large. And the MiEV, which also originated as a small ICE car, has two ports, one for L2 and one for CHAdeMO, one on each side of the rear. That's also part of the SAE combo plug rationale. Especially with low volume compliance EVs, it's much easier for the car makers to just put a combo receptacle in the existing gas cap port.

I agree that it's easier for home garage charging dock placement to have a front center port. But Volt owners seem to get along with a front driver's side port. For public charging, most cables will reach the front side, though I realize that in some cases with an ICEd parking spot for instance, every inch counts.

I love my LEAF, but I have to admit that I prefer the styling of the FFE, with its conventional looking grille.

Boomer23 said:
Even the Tesla S, a ground-up EV design, has the charging port on the rear driver's side, which might turn out to be a challenge for some charging situations, especially since the car is fairly large. And the MiEV, which also originated as a small ICE car, has two ports, one for L2 and one for CHAdeMO, one on each side of the rear. That's also part of the SAE combo plug rationale. Especially with low volume compliance EVs, it's much easier for the car makers to just put a combo receptacle in the existing gas cap port.
That's an excellent point, and I must admit that the charge port location on the ActiveE (rear passenger side) has proven to be a major inconvenience. I often found myself re-parking the car, because the J plug wouldn't reach the port. And at work, I have resigned, and I backup into parking stalls now. I'm doing that to avoid pulling the cord at weird angles, which seems to create a tripping hazard. I never had that problem with the Leaf.

Ford Focus Electric Smart Gauge and Mobile App Real World Tests

http://insideevs.com/ford-focus-electric-smart-gauge-and-mobile-app-real-world-tests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012-06-02T11-33-39_0-550x412.jpg

smart-guage-550x310.jpg

Ford Focus Electric Extended One Week Test Drive
http://insideevs.com/ford-focus-electric-extended-one-week-test-drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2012-06-02T11-33-39_8-550x412.jpg

2012-06-06T14-42-24_6-300x225.jpg

2012-06-06T14-42-24_5-300x225.jpg

2012-06-02T11-33-39_6-300x225.jpg

Larger image of aboveinterior: http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/2012-06-02T11-33-39_6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back