Frequency of charges versus charging to 100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchard

If charging to 80% lengthens battery life than there is cleary a tradeoff in range. To compensate one can charge to 80% or less say twice per day. So the question is, what is more detrimental to the battery life, charging frequency (to 80%) or charging to 100% at half the charging frequency?

Thanks

Orchard said:
If charging to 80% lengthens battery life than there is cleary a tradeoff in range. To compensate one can charge to 80% or less say twice per day. So the question is, what is more detrimental to the battery life, charging frequency (to 80%) or charging to 100% at half the charging frequency?
Based on the accumulated information in the Wiki, charging more frequently to 80% will probably be better for the battery, since the depth of discharge (DOD) will be less and the average state of charge (SOC) will be less. That assumes you don't have to do a deep discharge of the battery to get the needed range before the next charge. See the Wiki:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss#Factors_Affecting_Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure that the tradeoffs of 80% charging is worth the reduced range. if you can do 80% and be comfortable with the range, by all means but...

guessing the best thing if its manageable is to run the SOC from 30-70%. this is reason i think well managed service/delivery type businesses could do very well with a stable of LEAFs. high upfront costs but if doable. having twice the vehicles needed like pizza delivery where one is charging while the other is on the road would be great. simply swap them back and forth as needed. plus saves time. the charging LEAF can be loaded with new orders maximizing the drivers time

Another thing that is probably contributing to the recommendation is the likelihood of maintaining a high SOC for extended periods of time. Since long term storage is best at 30-40%, will have to guess anything above that is a steepening curve of degradation against time. The warnings tell me that it is probably not linear but at the same time, there is some evidence that 100% charging is ok as long as you dont spend a lot of time at 100%. TaylorSF has 57,000 miles and 10% degradation which I have to consider pretty good. On the "Nissan Cold Weather" scale that is 4½ years of ownership @ 12,500 miles a year. Considering he has done this in less than 18 months means he logistically cant spend a lot of time at 100% despite charging to 100% twice a day 5 days a week.

Back