Front suspension rattle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafboy

Took my Leaf to Nalley Nissan to have a front suspension rattle diagnosed. Took them 1.5 hrs to find it. Front left shock assembly at the top of the shock tower is defective. New part should arrive tomorrow. Dealer gave me a 2013 Altima to use until it is repaired. Altima is a nice car, but the headrest tilts too far forward and cannot be adjusted rearward. Very uncomfortable.

I predict this will be a common problem as LEAFs age. Water pools above the front shocks. My passenger side is ok, but my driver side is corroded.

kubel said:
I predict this will be a common problem as LEAFs age. Water pools above the front shocks. My passenger side is ok, but my driver side is corroded.

I doubt that is the cause of his issue.

EVDRIVER said:
kubel said:

True. It is a defective shock mounting bracket on the shock. My car has been in very little rain.

Leafboy said:
EVDRIVER said:
kubel said:

True. It is a defective shock mounting bracket on the shock. My car has been in very little rain.
UPDATE: They replaced the shock and the rattle is still there. So far they are stumped and still looking for it.

With my LEAF, I hear a high-pitched ping whenever I go over bumps.

ping... ping...

It almost sounds like a tiny, loose spring.

The first time I heard it it was the first day I owned the car. Instead of the ABS system doing its normal "thump" when I first drive off, it did a "ping" instead. Over the past few months, the normal ABS "thump" has returned, but the high pitched ping is still there.

If the car wasn't so quiet at slow speeds, I don't think I'd even know it was pinging.

Rattle finally found! They were stumped. Finally three Leaf technicians got under the car and started tightening every screw and bolt they could find. Turned out it was a slightly loose support bracket(?) that a 3/4 turn of the mounting bolt solved the problem. :eek:

Leafboy said:
Took my Leaf to Nalley Nissan to have a front suspension rattle diagnosed. Took them 1.5 hrs to find it. Front left shock assembly at the top of the shock tower is defective. New part should arrive tomorrow. Dealer gave me a 2013 Altima to use until it is repaired. Altima is a nice car, but the headrest tilts too far forward and cannot be adjusted rearward. Very uncomfortable.

Same issue with my LEAF!!

They replaced my driver side strut, now that the sound is gone from the driver side I can hear it from the passenger side...just not as pronounced.

I hear a pronounced thunk in the front suspension when going up/down the driveway dip. Sounds almost like very worn/loose control arm bushings. But my 2012 LEAF is only a week old!

ELROY said:
I hear a pronounced thunk in the front suspension when going up/down the driveway dip. Sounds almost like very worn/loose control arm bushings. But my 2012 LEAF is only a week old!

I've had the same thing with my Leaf since I bought it this spring. Nissan looked at it, but didn't manage to find the problem...

I think mines might be having the same issue, drivers side makes a thunk loose noise when going over bumps and it seems to be getting worst, its a 2012 with close to 6k miles, I'll ask the dealer to look at it when I take it in for service and see what happens.

Took it in today for its 7,500 mile service, I told them there's noise coming from front left. Left it at the dealer, got a call a few hours later from rep that they will replace the two front shocks under warranty, they where not in stock but will have to leave car till tomorrow. BTW what's up with a tire rotation costing $30 at the dealer? :x

Leafboy said:
Rattle finally found! They were stumped. Finally three Leaf technicians got under the car and started tightening every screw and bolt they could find. Turned out it was a slightly loose support bracket(?) that a 3/4 turn of the mounting bolt solved the problem. :eek:
I think I heard a rattle from the right front suspension a couple of times while driving yesterday. Does anyone have an idea what bolt might have been loose? Also, do the underbody panels need to be removed to get at it? (I'm guessing yes.) I'd rather tighten it myself than take it to the dealer.

They just started tightening bolts and when they were finished, it was gone. They had no idea which one was the culprit.

Leafboy said:
They just started tightening bolts and when they were finished, it was gone. They had no idea which one was the culprit.
That's comforting! :D

Thanks! I'll dig around under there next time I do an oil change! ;)

That's what happens when they go about doing stuff without finding the actual problem first. They ruin the conditions of the test so they don't know what it was or if it's really fixed. GRRRRRRR, common problem (parts changers & guessing).

I learned today that the first trip for the rattle was solved by replacement of the left front strut. (That's not what they told me.)

The service shop today had the car for 5 hours and finally discovered that it was a loose dust shield behind the front left brake caliper. Since this rattle had a different tone than the last one, I am assuming that it just was not properly attached during the installation of the new strut a few months ago. At least it is now solved.

Back