GA Tax Credit clarification

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpolunin

Hi all,
New Leaf owner here. Got my Blue Ocean about a week ago. Love it so far.

Now, for the question... I am REALLY confused about the tax credit. I did a search here and I see 2 different opinions. So wanted to see what is the actual fact.

How is the $5000 credit applied?
Some are saying you have to OWE money to GA State when doing your taxes and then apply the credit so you owe $0.
Some say it doesn't matter if you owe or they owe, you still apply the credit... ???

So lets say my annual liability is $4000. As of current, at tax time, I usually get a refund of about $1000.
How does it actually work? Do I need to change my withholding to a high number like 13 to have almost no GA taxes taken out and owe at year end and then apply the $5000?

Or would I continue as I do today and apply $4000 credit (liability $4k) and get $4000 total refund from scenario above ($4k liability).

So confused. If you have already done your 2013 GA taxes and have gotten a refund or what not, please explain how you did it.

It's applied to your annual liability. You would have paid $4000 for the year. You have a $5000 tax credit. That eliminates your tax liability for the year and your refund is all of the money that was withheld that year. You can roll over the remaining $1000 tax credit to the following year.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
Would I also be able to change my withholding to like a 13 to almost not pay anything in GA taxes and then apply part of the $5k to what I owe at year end? This way more on each paycheck. Works out the same, just matter of when I get my money, each paycheck or as a refund at year end... Am I thinking correctly?

rslatkin said:
It's applied to your annual liability. You would have paid $4000 for the year. You have a $5000 tax credit. That eliminates your tax liability for the year and your refund is all of the money that was withheld that year. You can roll over the remaining $1000 tax credit to the following year.

Back