Garage wheel spinning to charge leaf in much shorter time...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
I am trying to machine some pins for the plug, but the smaller signal pins
are more difficult.
Back in 2011, I was able to find some in my junk pile that fit well. I do not have a source however, but I suspect it shouldn't be too hard.

I've already built a 30kW propane-powered (semi portable) CHAdeMO QC.

My next CHAdeMO project on the list is a portable car to car CHAdeMO "jumper" that will let one car give another car any amount of charge.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
My next CHAdeMO project on the list is a portable car to car CHAdeMO "jumper" that will let one car give another car any amount of charge.
I just wanted to be the first to say it:

Awesome!

garygid said:
Charging Quickly Options:

2. Add more AC charging capability to the car - being worked on.

3. Some of us are working on a home/portable FFC (Fairly Fast Charger),
and we have 3D printed a first version of a plug (the "Jolomo" rev 0) to insert
into the Chademo socket on the LEAF, to be able to do some experiments.

I am trying to machine some pins for the plug, but the smaller signal pins
are more difficult.

We are not yet ready to release any significant information, but we will
most likely begin initial tests of some interface firmware within a week.

I was trying to determine if this was a joke. If it is..... you are being too subtle for the uninformed (me)

ampitupco said:
What about towing the Leaf behind an RV while in ECO? Seems like that would work.
And cut your RV mileage down from 8 mpg to 6 mpg? Certainly not a very efficient way to charge!

Well, OK, I don't know how much it would hurt your RV mileage, but it is inefficient, so it would have to hurt some. Let's say it only cuts it from 8 mpg to 7 mpg. That means you would be using an extra gallon of gas (or diesel) for every 8 miles you traveled. You'd probably have to travel at least 150 miles to charge the LEAF from empty to full, which would be close to 20 gallons. For that 20 gallons, your LEAF would go another 70 miles, so it would effectively become a 3.5 mpg gasser!!!

Ray

planet4ever said:
ampitupco said:
What about towing the Leaf behind an RV while in ECO? Seems like that would work.
And cut your RV mileage down from 8 mpg to 6 mpg? Certainly not a very efficient way to charge!

Well, OK, I don't know how much it would hurt your RV mileage, but it is inefficient, so it would have to hurt some. Let's say it only cuts it from 8 mpg to 7 mpg. That means you would be using an extra gallon of gas (or diesel) for every 8 miles you traveled. You'd probably have to travel at least 150 miles to charge the LEAF from empty to full, which would be close to 20 gallons. For that 20 gallons, your LEAF would go another 70 miles, so it would effectively become a 3.5 mpg gasser!!!

Ray

You're likely right... but people already tow cars (hell Jeep Wranglers) behind their RVs now. Heck in Colorado I see mega RVs towing Jeeps towing boats at the same time! Road trains!

If you could remotely switch the Leaf from N to ECO from the RV, you could charge when just coasting downhill...

ampitupco said:
...If you could remotely switch the Leaf from N to ECO from the RV, you could charge when just coasting downhill...

Actually, that might be a pretty good idea.

Connect the LEAF to the tow vehicle brake light circuit, and put it in ECO for regen whenever the RV brakes are applied, and you'd pick up quite a few kWh, and save some brake pad material, with each trip.

I wonder how many times these impractical solutions will be hashed out. Good luck safely implementing a towing concept, just think it through it is more complex then it seems in the LEAF, in other words it is not worth all the cost and effort to implement safely. Besides, how many people that own a LEAF will be towing them regularly.

Back