Get from 9 to 8 bars quickly with very low milage???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tandemrider

I am a newbie and have read many but not all battery capacity posts in this section of the forum. Here is my situation. Considering buying Leaf with 27K miles, 68 days short of its 5 yr anniversary with 9 bars. It did have the P3227 software upgrade.
I can park it in my garage that routinely gets 100-110F for at least 1/2 day. It doesn't have a QCDC port. I can install 240 Level 2 charger. I will only be there with it for 7 days to drive it my self. I could offer it to a local to drive for free until it reaches 8 bars but not sure how many miles she would put on it. A few minutes ago, I posted in another section for a local (Maui) who might have a diagnostic plug adapter and Spy program to try to assess the current AHr of the battery. I know that doesn't sound good for making 8 bars.
However, with Carwings remote control (I will be off island), can I frequently run the AC or heater in my car (with windows down and not charging) while the garage is really hot, and heater during the early mornings when it cools off to maximally drain the battery to the lowest level, then recharge to 100% with level 2. Is this feasible and how many full cycles does one think I would need to go down one full bar. (I realize that the AHr reading (if I can get it) may help me better quantify how much capacity I need to lose from the current battery to qualify for the warranty replacement.
Assuming that some of you think this is possible, to drop one bar with remote maneuvers, under these unusual circumstances, what precautions should I be aware of? I read something about the battery temp can not get above 120F for > 24 hrs. I read one poster suggesting not discharging to less than 60% so as to avoid the appearance of abusing the battery in the history. Can I remotely monitor battery temperature with Carwings? Would anything else that I suggest doing invalidate my warranty?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Without knowing LeafSpy data it's a 50/50 chance, the bar will either drop or not. You need to get the Ahr reading in LeafSpy to get a meaningful opinion.

Another member suggested the following:
Drive it hard (up hill with all accessories on) and not return home until I hit turtle (trial and error) then run heater until everything is dead, charge to 100% (in my hot garage) and do it again as many times as possible. (Will that harm the 12V?)

Meanwhile I can let my friend drive it "hard" every day then park it in my hot garage, run heater until it is completely dead then charge to 100% each day.

Any other suggestions?.

Telling you not to run it below 60% charge is nonsense - just don't run it dead repeatedly, as that might be a red flag. Likewise running the heater remotely might overheat the pack and trigger a warranty void. In general, though, remotely activating HVAC isn't likely to help. Sitting in that hot garage at 100% charge is probably your best bet, as well as the easy option.

Back