Getting ready to sell my 2011 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready2plugin

Well, it's been a great ride. Literally :D , but with my commute and extra miles I need to drive on occasion, I need to move on to a plug-in hybrid before the green stickers are out. Looking to see how the market is and what would be a good deal for both buyer and seller. It's a red 2011 SL with 37,400 miles with one recently lost bar. Clean CarFax and upgraded EVSE.

Ready2plugin said:
Well, it's been a great ride. Literally :D , but with my commute and extra miles I need to drive on occasion, I need to move on to a plug-in. Looking to see how the market is and what would be a good deal for both buyer and seller. It's a red 2011 SL with 37,400 miles with one recently lost bar. Clean CarFax and upgraded EVSE.
You already have a plugin. Maybe you mean a plugin hybrid.
A new LEAF will have better range than your current vehicle. There are still great lease deals. If you wait until summer they may have the temperature resistant battery.

LeftieBiker said:
If you will take $11k there is a poster here who is looking for one for that price.

No thanks. Dealer offered a little over $12k. I rather the car go direct to someone then get marked up by a dealer if possible. And yes, a plug-in hybrid. Probably will go with a Volt. I should still be able to avoid the gas station most weeks.

If you are considering the Volt, your upgraded EVSE (the large Nissan "brick") will work on it as a Level 2. I had traded in my '11 LEAF at 44K miles (1 bar lost) for a '14 Volt. I kept the EVSE.

After 1.5 months and 3.5K miles, I'm on my second tank of gas. On average, I'm getting 44 miles on the Volt battery. After 29 months, 44 miles is when my '11 LEAF would start giving me the LBW warning.

I didn't want to wait until late spring/summer to trade/sell our LEAF. I don't want to go through buying a PHEV car that might sit under the sun on a dealer lot. So I bought in Jan, 2014.

CayenneSJLEAFy said:
After 1.5 months and 3.5K miles, I'm on my second tank of gas.

Likewise. We just bought 3 gallons to add to the 1 gallon left of the 9 the dealer put in for us at purchase (no point in brimming the tank for the rare occassion gas is needed). So we used ~8 gallons over 6 months and 3273 miles (2976 miles EV, 297 miles on gas). The Volt is an awesome car, even though it's not a LEAF (and the LEAF is a more awesome car).

Well looks like a volt is in my future. Going to see one on Saturday and hopefully bring it home. If so I'll update my listing for my LEAF in the for sale section. Mixed emotions, one of the first to get the car, and I have enjoyed every EV mile. Hopefully I can keep it going with the Volt. I would have kept the LEAF a little longer, but with the state rebate and green stickers nearing an end, it's time. Looking at one with Nav, leather, and saftey 1 & 2.

Ready2plugin said:
Well looks like a volt is in my future. Going to see one on Saturday and hopefully bring it home. If so I'll update my listing for my LEAF in the for sale section. Mixed emotions, one of the first to get the car, and I have enjoyed every EV mile. Hopefully I can keep it going with the Volt. ...
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. When I test drove one, I thought it was nice. I seriously considered it when picking a car to replace my LEAF going off lease. I'm greatly enjoying my RAV, the deals they have right now and the range made it an easy choice.

Yep, sorry, I clicked "submit" too early without proofreading--meant to say 44K miles.

Even though I traded in our LEAF on 1/20/14, I never felt "closure" on the sale until the car finally disappeared off the lot over the past weekend. Either the car finally sold, or the dealer gave up and wholesaled it. The last going price was $14.9K. At least I kept the upgraded EVSE as a souvenir.

I miss the LEAF in many ways, but I really love the Volt. Drive it gingerly, or aggressively--it will still go on battery power. The other PHEVs kicked on the engine too easily if you step even moderately on the gas, and that ruined it for me. The Volt also made everything else feel tinny--the way the rear hatch and door closes with a solid thud is a real surprise. Didn't know GM could ever build a car like this.

I especially liked how I can put the ICE on "hold" over long freeway stretches, or up on Hwy 17 (Santa Cruz mountains), and then manually switch it to EV again when I get to a city. Recently, with my favorite charging spots getting filled more frequently with other EVs or PHEVs--no sweat, still got the ICE to get home if I'm not able to charge.

To answer 2 big peeves I had during the past 29 months (of LEAF ownership), I got leather and Bose. I also got Nav, Safety 1 and 2. Safety 2 does drive me crazy with the angry beeps every time I enter/exit the garage, but it also saved me once already. I also had the dealer replace the front spoiler for free with a shorter one, as the standard flexible front spoiler will scrape on virtually driveway.

CayenneSJLEAFy said:
Yep, sorry, I clicked "submit" too early without proofreading--meant to say 44K miles.

Even though I traded in our LEAF on 1/20/14, I never felt "closure" on the sale until the car finally disappeared off the lot over the past weekend. Either the car finally sold, or the dealer gave up and wholesaled it. The last going price was $14.9K. At least I kept the upgraded EVSE as a souvenir.

I miss the LEAF in many ways, but I really love the Volt. Drive it gingerly, or aggressively--it will still go on battery power. The other PHEVs kicked on the engine too easily if you step even moderately on the gas, and that ruined it for me. The Volt also made everything else feel tinny--the way the rear hatch and door closes with a solid thud is a real surprise. Didn't know GM could ever build a car like this.

I especially liked how I can put the ICE on "hold" over long freeway stretches, or up on Hwy 17 (Santa Cruz mountains), and then manually switch it to EV again when I get to a city. Recently, with my favorite charging spots getting filled more frequently with other EVs or PHEVs--no sweat, still got the ICE to get home if I'm not able to charge.

To answer 2 big peeves I had during the past 29 months (of LEAF ownership), I got leather and Bose. I also got Nav, Safety 1 and 2. Safety 2 does drive me crazy with the angry beeps every time I enter/exit the garage, but it also saved me once already. I also had the dealer replace the front spoiler for free with a shorter one, as the standard flexible front spoiler will scrape on virtually driveway.
Last month, I sold my Leaf for the Volt too.
I didn't know the flexible front spoiler on the Volt can be replaced? Did you get it done when it was still new? I'm not sure if the dealer would still replace it for free if mine is already full of scratches.

CayenneSJLEAFy said:
The other PHEVs kicked on the engine too easily if you step even moderately on the gas, and that ruined it for me. The Volt also made everything else feel tinny--the way the rear hatch and door closes with a solid thud is a real surprise. Didn't know GM could ever build a car like this.
Re: other PHEVs, are you referring to just the PiP or others from say Ford (which for those, IIRC haven't had any seat time yet)?

As for the Volt feeling solid, you can credit/blame Bob Lutz's preferences, since it was his baby. See http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/09/bob-lutz-ill-take-the-blame-for-gms-weight-problem/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I found some of the comments there funny like these:
amca
September 8th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

You know: now it hits me – the Eco models (Cruze & upcoming Malibu) have some of the solidity taken out of them. I know that there’s certain sheetmetal parts that are lighter gauge in that car. They’re just de-Lutzing it, taking out heavy, solid bits.

APaGttH
September 8th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

No one will accuse the GM W-body, U-body or F-body (along with a long list of other products) for being rigid and solid. The W-Body and U-Body in particular is about as rigid as a wet sponge.

However their newer platforms, Epsilion II, Zeta, Lambda, Delta II, etc. etc. are very solid and it shows in ride, vibration and handling. But it also shows in weight – oink oink!

CayenneSJLEAFy said:
If you are considering the Volt, your upgraded EVSE (the large Nissan "brick") will work on it as a Level 2. I had traded in my '11 LEAF at 44K miles (1 bar lost) for a '14 Volt. I kept the EVSE.

Well it's official, I pickup my Volt on Saturday. Not trading in the LEAF but will put it up for sale this weekend at a decent price (approx $14k) and probably keep driving it until the green stickers come or when it's sold, whatever comes first :) . Since I'm not trading it I will let the new owner take my upgraded EVSE, I've never used it except to test. I'm getting the same configuration as you, Premium pkg, Bose, Safety 1&2 but went with Ashen Gray and Pebble beige leather. My only concern with the Volt was the thick A & B pillars making for some pretty big blind spots, but I guess you adjust.

I've got to admire you Volt-ers who try to use little or no gas! Sounds almost as much fun as trying to see how many miles you can eke out of a charge on a LEAF. Before we got our second LEAF we looked at and drove the Volt and I agree it drives well and has a quality feel. I was surprised to see that the Volt weighs almost exactly as much as the all-steel, V-8 powered Buick station wagon I drove in college--3700 lbs! But the lack of a center rear seating position killed it for us. We are a family of four, and if one of our kids wants to bring a friend along the LEAF can handle it; the Volt can't.

If I might make a suggestion. When going to buy a new Prius, the dealer offered me $5100 for my 2009 Rio off the sticker price of his Prius. Just for grins, I went to Carmax and they offered me $7000. I sold the Rio to Carmax and then bought the Prius. They asked where my Rio was and I told them it was 1/2 mile down the road at Carmax.

FWIW, I am not a dealer of any sort. I am not employed in the auto sales industry, I just tend to buy high and sell low, so I was happy to get the better offer.

MarkC said:
If I might make a suggestion. When going to buy a new Prius, the dealer offered me $5100 for my 2009 Rio off the sticker price of his Prius. Just for grins, I went to Carmax and they offered me $7000. I sold the Rio to Carmax and then bought the Prius. They asked where my Rio was and I told them it was 1/2 mile down the road at Carmax.

FWIW, I am not a dealer of any sort. I am not employed in the auto sales industry, I just tend to buy high and sell low, so I was happy to get the better offer.

Thanks for the suggestion! It might be worth a trip to Fairfield to check it out. Will need to find a QC just in case they don't buy it for the trip back to Pleasanton.

My recent Carmax experience is that they really do not want the Leaf. They offered me 18K for my 2013 SL Premium. They said the Southern California market for Leaf's is very very soft.

Last July I got Kelly Blue Book for my old Leaf. The dealer had it listed on Ebay for several months. It either finally sold or it went to auction.

Back