Ghost "Other Systems" Energy Usage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamchemist

I was driving my LEAF home late yesterday. The GoM showed about 20mi. of range left. It was about dusk, but I had no lights turned on. Given that my available energy was so low, I was paying a lot of attention to it, so I had the "Energy Info." display on the center navigation screen. For the first time since I got the car a little over a week ago, I saw about 1Kw of power being drawn by "Other Systems". The only thing running was the Climate Control fan, providing some outside vent air, and turning all Climate Control off had no effect on this "Other Systems" energy usage. The only unusual thing that happened was that I had taken a phone call by way of Blue Tooth about an hour earlier.

Can anyone suggest what might have been drawing 1Kw of power, that falls into "Other Systems"? It was certainly disconcerting!

When I got home I shut the car completely down, waited 15 sec. or so and turned it back on. With the car setting idle in my garage, and with no lights on except normal interior displays, "Other Systems" still showed about 1Kw of energy use. I tried the same thing after the car had been 2 hours or so, and this time, when I turned the car back on, "Other Systems" showed no energy usage, which is what I normally see.

The Other Systems is everything that's not the traction motor or the climate control. So it's your radio, the dash, lights, the car's computers, everything that's standing by waiting for you to do something like shift the car into D or power steering, any fans that may be running in the cooling system, any recharging of the 12V that may be happening, and then the whole touch screen computer that you're looking at!

When you looked the second time did you just put the car into ON mode (i.e. not READY to drive)? I've never looked at that screen when in ON mode, but maybe the measurement of other systems is diabled when in ON vs READY.

Lance,

Both times I turned the LEAF off and then back on (once after 15 sec. wait and once after 2 hr. wait), I put my foot on the brake and pushed the "on" button. So, at that point the car was ready to put into Reverse of Drive and go.

Let me update this Ghost Energy story a bit. Given that the scale on the "Other Systems" Energy Info. gauge is much finer than it is for the "Climate Control" gauge above it, I have learned that my Ghost Energy Usage is only about 0.25 Kw, instead of the 1 Kw that I originally thought. I have also noted that, when I pull the car into my garage, have all Climate Control off, and leave the main on/off button on (i.e., car ready to put into gear and drive; displays all lighted), then the 0.25 Kw "Other Systems" power usage continues AND I can faintly hear what sounds like a fan running someplace in the car, but outside the cabin. Since I only really discovered the "Energy Info." screen a couple of days ago, I guess I don't really know if this 0.25 Kw "Other Systems" power usage is new or not.

Does this extra information give anyone a clue as to what is using the power?

Thanks again!

I'd assume the 250W is just from having the system ON. All the power electronics, computers etc consume power. i seem to remember the prius has about a 300W (sorry, I don't have a source handy) of baseline consumption.

The LED meter and LCD navi screen consume about 250W. Turn your car on and play with the brightness settings. Try turning the LED meter off completely and you should see a drop. I once turned both off when I had to leave my ignition on for many hours to get my windows tinted. Be sure to reset the LCD navi screen to the auto setting with appropriate brightness when you are done.

ebill3,

Are you referring to the pump that pumps coolant around the electric motor and inverter? My understanding is that the batteries themselves are air cooled.

Thanks.

side question, does anyone know if the "cigarette lighter" outlet show as "other" as well. I'm wondering why I don't see any fluctuation in energy usage with my plug in seat heater turned on vs off.

iamchemist said:
ebill3,

Are you referring to the pump that pumps coolant around the electric motor and inverter? My understanding is that the batteries themselves are air cooled.
Yes - the motor and inverter. My hearing is the pits, so I don't hear ir, but as I understand it, that pump runs whenever the car is on.

GaslessInSeattle said:
side question, does anyone know if the "cigarette lighter" outlet show as "other" as well. I'm wondering why I don't see any fluctuation in energy usage with my plug in seat heater turned on vs off.
The maximum draw allowed on the lighter is 10 amps = 0.12Kw. Your heater is probably drawing less than that so it would be hard to see on the meter.

GaslessInSeattle said:

i see the same thing. i think your seat heater is running about what?? 8-10 amps 12 volts so pretty low wattage. mine should register around around 100 watts but it does not show up either.

Back