GM building a 200 mile BEV for $35k ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it will likely and deservedly fail then...

evnow said:
TomT said:
Likewise, if GM can build a NICE 200 mile EV in that price range, it will get serious attention from me... When all is said and done, it likely would be about $10K cheaper than the Tesla 3, comparably equipped...
The problem is GM seems to be building a "sonic" BEV. Small and likely not so well built or well equipped.

evnow said:
pkulak said:
You're listing a lot of features of a $70,000 car as if that has any bearing on a future $35,000 car.
Only this one may not be available... esp 3rd row

•Innovative features like the door handles, use phone as key, third row seating, frunk, etc...

- No dealer hassle
I'll give you this one.

Better technology on the console. How does the navigator work on GM? Horrid on a leaf.
- Not sure why you expect a 17" touchscreen on the III, or them to port the entire, current 17" interface to their III instead of leaving that as a differentiating factor between the models for less work. Google doesn't let you use maps for free. AT&T doesn't give you data for free. Those are the thing that go when cost matters. And I like the navigation on my Leaf.

Less expensive to maintain. Much is under warranty for a Tesla.
- Luxury cars always have great warranties. And Model Ses have so far proven far from reliable. Leafs are rock solid.

Have better luck with a tesla to upgrade the battery pack. 400 mile Tesla?
- I'll give you this one too, since they at least have announced the possibility of upgrading one pack.

Faster charging
- I suppose. But no CHAdeMO support. There's already way more CHAdeMO stations than there are superchargers.

Innovative features like the door handles, use phone as key, third row seating, frunk, etc...
- Not gonna happen.

Expect Tesla to have more interior space
- Who knows.

Expect Tesla to have higher performance
- Who knows.

People seem to think that Tesla's plan for 2017 is to sell the Model S for $35,000. It's not going to work out that way.

pkulak said:
... The Leaf has generally been a lot more reliable than the Model S...
I doubt those that have suffered from the severe battery degradation problem would agree. On top of that Nissan was refusing to fix the issue. I have a co-worker that gets only 60 mile range after a few months in his 2012 Leaf and Nissan wouldn't and won't address the issue, claiming working as intended. The leaf on my car suffers from poor fit and there is no clear coat with a thin coat of paint. At least Tesla fixes the smallest of issues.

Much as I applaud the effort, if it DOES turn out to be a Sonic-sized subcompact, then I'd have to agree with TomT - it'll likely not do well in the marketplace. The success of the Tesla Model S (and even moreso the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV) shows that the public is more interested in something larger, with more room inside.

Actually, we really don't want anything much bigger than the current Leaf, just more range, technology and creature comforts...

ahagge said:
The success of the Tesla Model S (and even moreso the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV) shows that the public is more interested in something larger, with more room inside.

TomT said:
Actually, we really don't want anything much bigger than the current Leaf, just more range, technology and creature comforts...

ahagge said:
The success of the Tesla Model S (and even moreso the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV) shows that the public is more interested in something larger, with more room inside.

I'm in the same boat -- I'd be happy with a Honda Fit or Leaf sized hatchback as my next EV, provided it has more range than my current Leaf. My bigger concern with a vehicle from GM is that it will use Combo rather than CHAdeMO. We just started getting CHAdeMO's installed here in NY -- I'm not ready to play the waiting game again for Combo. I just hope someone can develop a CHAdeMO to Combo adapter...

a 200 mile Ev with a combo connector means zero chance of fast charging for anyone on the east coast and most of the USA.

I would still consider the vehicle if was made by GM all EV and had at least a 7.2 or 9.6kw OBC.
I do almost all my charging at home anyway, but I do know with 200 miles of range you would want some usable DCFC with combo connectors...........

and you would find none.

Isn't Sonic the size of Fit EV ?

Comparing the sizes - the big difference is in rear legroom. Sonic is 4" smaller (ouch).

dgpcolorado said:
evnow said:
Isn't Sonic the size of Fit EV ?

Comparing the sizes - the big difference is in rear legroom. Sonic is 4" smaller (ouch).
Would a car that small be able to fit 200 miles of batteries? Seems likely to be at least a bit bigger...
That's my question too, as I don't see the space even if they go to a skateboard design. At a minimum I'd think they need to go to Cruze/Volt size unless they stack the battery cells in horizontal layers, raising the whole car and not helping its aerodynamics.

GRA said:
That's my question too, as I don't see the space even if they go to a skateboard design. At a minimum I'd think they need to go to Cruze/Volt size unless they stack the battery cells in horizontal layers, raising the whole car and not helping its aerodynamics.
We don't know the new LG battery density. For argument sake, if it is double the current batteries, a Fit size EV can do nearly double the distance. They can also stuff batteries in the trunk.

It almost seems to me - this is something a committee came up with because they wanted to beat Tesla to an affordable 200 mile EV. Never mind how good or utilitarian it is as a car. So they can stuff a small car full of battery and sell only in compliance quantity. They'll have the satisfaction of beating Tesla.

This also goes with the report on GCR that Chevy EV will be made in very small numbers - some 2,000 over 2 years.

I feel like all these focus groups they're doing for this car are a waste if they're only going to make/sell 2000 over 2 years. At that volume, it doesn't really matter what the EV-buying public thinks, does it? They could just throw together a piece of crap and find 2000 suckers...

NYLEAF said:
I feel like all these focus groups they're doing for this car are a waste if they're only going to make/sell 2000 over 2 years. At that volume, it doesn't really matter what the EV-buying public thinks, does it? They could just throw together a piece of crap and find 2000 suckers...
Yes - this EV is a head scratcher. Why even bother with a 200 mile EV - they can just keep selling Sparks. Many things don't add up. But then again this is GM ....

evnow said:
GRA said:
We don't know the new LG battery density. For argument sake, if it is double the current batteries, a Fit size EV can do nearly double the distance. They can also stuff batteries in the trunk.

It almost seems to me - this is something a committee came up with because they wanted to beat Tesla to an affordable 200 mile EV. Never mind how good or utilitarian it is as a car. So they can stuff a small car full of battery and sell only in compliance quantity. They'll have the satisfaction of beating Tesla.

This also goes with the report on GCR that Chevy EV will be made in very small numbers - some 2,000 over 2 years.
Considering that even a double density battery would only get a Spark to 164 miles EPA and a Sonic maybe to 200, and double density at a reasonable price by 2016 is so unlikely as to fall into the realm of science fiction, I stand by my comments. Stuffing batteries in the trunk or passenger space isn't going to cut it for 2nd gen, when there are cars built on platforms like VW's MQB that don't require that. It's held back the FFE and Energis, as well as the Volt in some cases. Anyone who does that in the 2nd gen gets an auto-fail.

evnow said:
GRA said:
Anyone who does that in the 2nd gen gets an auto-fail.
Still, would you be surprised if GM does it this way ?
Extremely so. They already know that not having five seats in the Volt has cost them sales, and all indications are that the 2nd gen will have five. The Spark has minimal space intrusion by the battery, and any attempt to put a bigger battery in cargo/passenger space would be a step backward. They may be big and dumb, but I don't think they're that big and dumb. But then I thought Nissan wasn't either, and they sure proved me wrong.

GRA said:
Extremely so. They already know that not having five seats in the Volt has cost them sales, and all indications are that the 2nd gen will have five. The Spark has minimal space intrusion by the battery, and any attempt to put a bigger battery in cargo/passenger space would be a step backward. They may be big and dumb, but I don't think they're that big and dumb.
200 mile low volume BEV does 2 things for GM
- boosts corporate ego
- gives them ZEV credits
Which is all they might be looking for.
But then I thought Nissan wasn't either, and they sure proved me wrong.
In what way have they been dumb ? Persueing BEV instead FCEv ? :lol:

evnow said:
...200 mile low volume BEV does 2 things for GM
- boosts corporate ego
- gives them ZEV credits...

Any 200 mile BEV for $35k does one more thing for GM.

Renders the second generation GM volt obsolete, forcing GM to write off it's multi-billion dollar PHEV investment.

Of course, Any mass-production DC-charge-capable 200 mile BEV five-passenger mid-size sedan for $35k would also render every ICEV and hybrid in that class obsolete.

IMO, this event is likely to still be ~ five years out.

Back