Green Car Reports compares Volt to Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonT

Green Car Reports compares Volt to Leaf

I'm posting this because there was a particular statement that I had not heard before:
The Leaf has a safety feature to prevent it from being driven away without the driver's seatbelt being engaged. Wearing a seatbelt is a smart choice for anyone, but to require a seatbelt to be engaged before the car will drive is a big annoyance for anyone who needs to do quick parking-lot manoeuvres or driveway switches.
I'm wondering if anyone who has had a test drive could confirm this. I know the parking brake will automatically disengage if you have your seatbelt on and go forward or reverse, so it is possible the driver wasn't aware that the parking brake was engaged.

Oh no! I don't like that at all! We frequently move cars around in the driveway/garage. This would be a HUGE(!) annoyance. Now ... if the car were limited to 5 or 10mph without seatbelts on, that would be acceptable.

Just wait for the first lawsuit ... in a hurry ... chased by someone (or whatever reason) ... can't get away fast enough [use your imagination here] ...

Booooo ! :evil:

P.S.: And BTW ... what happened to their objective to make this car feel like a "normal car" ? Now I'm really mad ! If this whole thing is true ... they might as well make it DIFFERENT from a normal car (get rid of that dumb shifter (use buttons), stronger regen (and adjustable), etc etc)

DarkStar said:
Don't worry, you can still release the parking brake without your seatbelt on. Just press the brake pedal and press down on the parking brake. ;)

Only if you have one hand on your head. I heard that at a ride and drive.

I would think something this fundamental would most certainly be mentioned in the quick start guide that's posted in the other thread...My guess it's operator error.

turbo2ltr said:
I would think something this fundamental would most certainly be mentioned in the quick start guide that's posted in the other thread...My guess it's operator error.
It is mentioned in the Quick Start guide. See Electric Parking Brake. The driver's seat belt must be fully engaged to release that brake. It doesn't say that for starting the car, so if you park on a flat surface and only put it in park, but don't use the parking brake, maybe you don't need to wear the seat belt, although that has its own risks. Or in an emergency, maybe you could even drive it with the parking brake on. I've done that by accident in my ICE car before, but it may or may not be possible in the Leaf since that brake is electric, not mechanical. I agree it would be a big pain for driveway jockeying, which we do sometimes.

that's because they are fearing a bug where the engine would go full power as soon as you release the brake :lol:
that's why you're better off having your seatbelt all the time ;p

EVDRIVER said:
Only if you have one hand on your head. I heard that at a ride and drive.

I fixed it for you. I also heard at the ride and drive that the drivers door will only open with your left hand.

Note: pink font indicates sarcasm.

Rat said:
turbo2ltr said:
It is mentioned in the Quick Start guide. See Electric Parking Brake. The driver's seat belt must be fully engaged to release that brake. It doesn't say that for starting the car, so if you park on a flat surface and only put it in park, but don't use the parking brake, maybe you don't need to wear the seat belt, although that has its own risks. Or in an emergency, maybe you could even drive it with the parking brake on. I've done that by accident in my ICE car before, but it may or may not be possible in the Leaf since that brake is electric, not mechanical. I agree it would be a big pain for driveway jockeying, which we do sometimes.

It says the parking brake will *automatically* be released it you have the seat belt on, etc...nothing about the seat belt as a requirement to drive the car. You can still release the brake manually using the button without your seatbelt on.

turbo2ltr said:
It says the parking brake will *automatically* be released it you have the seat belt on, etc...nothing about the seat belt as a requirement to drive the car. You can still release the brake manually using the button without your seatbelt on.
Ok ... that makes me feel better :)
Now all we need is the complete Owner's Manual to confirm. (Or a drive event.)

They are also using the parking break to good effect for Hill start.

HILL START
- With the driver’s seat belt securely fastened and the shift lever in the D (Drive ) or ECO position, the vehicle’s parking brake can be applied to hold the vehicle from rolling on a hill.
- The electric parking brake will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is gradually depressed.

*For more information, refer to the “EV Overview (section EV)” and the “Starting and driving (section 5)” of your Owner’s Manual.
BTW, Looks like the user manual is all ready to go. May be they are doing the final proof reading ...

I think he's just saying that they can quote the Owners manual, by section number and title. So it must exist in some form.

If they're going to deliver cars in Dec, and presumably ship a manual with each one, it has to be headed to the printers soon.

Back